• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Landry Fields, GM and Kyle Korver, AGM Interview - HawkVision

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Experience Coming to the front Office.

The Hawks are in serious talks to hire Spurs executive and former Cavaliers GM Chris Grant as a senior adviser in Landry Fields’ front office, sources said. Grant, a well-respected exec, spent nine years in the Hawks’ organization (1996-2005) before serving as an assistant GM and GM for the Cavaliers from 2005 to 2014.

via Shams.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Experience Coming to the front Office.

The Hawks are in serious talks to hire Spurs executive and former Cavaliers GM Chris Grant as a senior adviser in Landry Fields’ front office, sources said. Grant, a well-respected exec, spent nine years in the Hawks’ organization (1996-2005) before serving as an assistant GM and GM for the Cavaliers from 2005 to 2014.

via Shams.

Aka the guy who allegedly wrote the infamous Luol Deng memo that got Ferry fired. Dafuq are we doing? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AUhawksfan said:

Sure you don’t want to reword this?  Diesel over here getting ready. 

image.gif.2e5453a1a1023a4f6ba62bc7e91f9076.gif

I don't know how you Aussie's do it.. but in Atlanta, we pick up our next GM at Starbucks... 

Just now, kg01 said:

Aka the guy who allegedly wrote the infamous Luol Deng memo that got Ferry fired. Dafuq are we doing? 

Somebody doesn't know the History. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It crossed my mind, was checking to see if it was him 🙄

Smh.  I'm not saying the guy should never work again but he also seemed to totally skate on the whole thing.  Meanwhile Ferry got blackball'd.  Kinda messed up.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Not sure:

Everyone wants to know: In the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's published scouting report on Deng, who was the redacted Cleveland source responsible for the initial African slurs? If this wasn't Chris Grant – the deposed Cleveland GM who replaced Ferry with the Cavaliers – it will be difficult for him to convince people otherwise. And that's a brutally vulnerable position for Ferry to have left him.

It's unfair to Grant and former Cavs coach Mike Brown, another close friend of Ferry's. The report says the interview took place on June 6, 2014 – months after each was let go in Cleveland.

Who else would know that Herb Rudoy, one of Deng's agents, wanted $12 million a year? Who else could speak with such authority about the trade negotiations with Chicago, about the rest of the teams interested in Deng at the deadline, about how the redacted coaches felt about Deng's performance in the final line of the report? All those things point to Grant, but that doesn't mean it's him. That doesn't mean the redacted use of "the former" fill-in-the-blank official was legitimate.

• Premium Member

Schlenk was bright, pragmatic, and had a vision for the team.  I also though he communicated well and was about as transparent as you can ask for from a GM.  It really doesn't matter who Ressler hires next because it's clear it will be a "yes man" because Ressler is the one making all of the calls.  And while some may view it a good thing that the remaining front office staff are all aligned on the vision of the team, to me it's just a consequence of Ressler cleaning house of anyone that did not fall into line, and now we have an autocratic front office -- our team is simply a billionaire's passion project.

And there is zero convincing me that Nick Ressler is just some guy weighing in with his opinion.  Even if that were the case, and he wasn't a voice for his father's will, there will ALWAYS be a very awkward power dynamic working with the owners son.  It's an inevitability that structure will become toxic.  

• Like 2

Well here is the thing ASG didn't give a damn about the team and let it float around, at least on the surface it appears Ressler is an owner who gives a damn even if he may be TOO involved.

To go from an owner group that is just a nameless face to an actual owner who is trying to win sounds ok, I hope it turns out well but I can't get to mad at an owner trying to get his team a championship.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Schultz's Atheltic article.  I can post if people are interested, but that was the most damning piece of evidence for me.  They specifically mention he blocked JC to a western conference team trade.  It could be the JC for Lauri and 2 1sts that was floated here, which I thought was asinine it was even on the table -- so needless to say, I don't have much faith in the FO if Ressler is going to continue to heavy hand roster decisions.

More likely the Harrison Barnes rumor and I would have passed on it too.

Yet while there seems to be some sort of unofficial consensus around the league that Sacramento is leading the way in terms of the negotiations, sources say the Kings’ offer has thus far been seen as underwhelming by the Hawks. Kings small forward Harrison Barnes would go to Atlanta in the deal, and — to be clear — the Kings’ No. 4 pick is not part of these discussions. If that were the case, it would likely be done already.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

More likely the Harrison Barnes rumor and I would have passed on it too.

Yet while there seems to be some sort of unofficial consensus around the league that Sacramento is leading the way in terms of the negotiations, sources say the Kings’ offer has thus far been seen as underwhelming by the Hawks. Kings small forward Harrison Barnes would go to Atlanta in the deal, and — to be clear — the Kings’ No. 4 pick is not part of these discussions. If that were the case, it would likely be done already.

Barnes just doesn't do much for me especially at 30 years old.    This is the weird thing about trading JC.  We've got to get a PF back but who's going to come back that's just as good?   That's why i'm hoping we get 2 rotation guys for one even if we downgrade our starting 4. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

Man, they sure are spending for the front office left and right but didn't want to go into the LT for Huerter.

For $40M (tax savings + getting cut of tax money), you can hire 100 people for the front office and still save money.

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

And they've let a lot of people go too. 

True.  Replacing people who left isn't even a change in budget if you are matching salaries.  (Granting there may be a one-time hit for any severance owed.)

So kids soccer at a church brought the guys together and formed the Hawks front office of guys with no experience. Just coffee, soccer, and two guys who once hooped. This is so Atlanta. Team really needs an East Coast make over with a passionate owner. Feels like Todd and the Chrisleys are running the team 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Landry Field Radio Interview from this Morning.

Talks:

DJ suspension,

DejounTrae's ability to be coached,

Getting JC going, 

Defense 

https://omny.fm/shows/92-9-the-game-morning-show-w-john-and-hugh/landry-fields-says-hawks-must-impose-our-will-fromG

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/16/2023 at 11:33 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Lipstick on a pig, is still a pig.

The trade deadline and the offseason will be telling so I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Help me out again @Wretch......

(This was an interesting refresher read)