• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What we have right now...

Diesel

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah it almost seems like when everything got leaked some of the guys were like "people think we're total dicks.  we better get our stuff together"

Or maybe the players and coach were as confused and bewildered by the front office shakeups as anyone else. Now that the dust has settled and at least the leadership has been clearly defined and players are back healthy they can focus on ball instead of God knows what else was going on behind the scenes.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't disagree but the coach always looks suddenly better when guys stop missing wide open shots and being lazy on D. 

There is definitely some chicken and egg with that.  When you run a better offense, you get better shots in better spots by better shooters and naturally make more of them.  That means you start the defensive possession at an advantage relative to the other team rebounding a miss and turning around on you which helps to defend better.  A defensive stop means you now have the advantage of taking the rebound and pushing down the court where the defense is not as well set and this creates opportunities for better shots.  For some players, this more meaningful action on offense also means they are mentally more engaged on defense.  Shouldn't be the case but we've all seen it happen.

Good play on one end of the floor begets good play on the other end.  So implementing improved tactics on one end can mean better results on both ends even if you change nothing about your approach on the other end.

• Premium Member

Question:

Are we taking more 3 points shots now vs earlier in the season?

Are we taking less midrange shots now vs earlier in the season?

Are we still ISOing and trying to get mismatches to attack like we did earlier in the season

Are we initiating the offense earlier in the shot clock?

What is our current offensive rank?

What is our current defensive rank?

(I know someone will provide the info)

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Question:

Are we taking more 3 points shots now vs earlier in the season?

Are we taking less midrange shots now vs earlier in the season?

Are we still ISOing and trying to get mismatches to attack like we did earlier in the season

Are we initiating the offense earlier in the shot clock?

What is our current offensive rank?

What is our current defensive rank?

(I know someone will provide the info)

I show offensive rating at 21 and defensive rating at 12.  netrating is 22 though i think.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is definitely some chicken and egg with that.  When you run a better offense, you get better shots in better spots by better shooters and naturally make more of them.  That means you start the defensive possession at an advantage relative to the other team rebounding a miss and turning around on you which helps to defend better.  A defensive stop means you now have the advantage of taking the rebound and pushing down the court where the defense is not as well set and this creates opportunities for better shots.  For some players, this more meaningful action on offense also means they are mentally more engaged on defense.  Shouldn't be the case but we've all seen it happen.

Good play on one end of the floor begets good play on the other end.  So implementing improved tactics on one end can mean better results on both ends even if you change nothing about your approach on the other end.

JC specifically talked about the bolded in his post game interview last night with Lauren.  Said they all play better on defense when they feel engaged on offense and the ball moves.  I agree with him.  And it seems Trae is listening to this advice.  He is playing more aggressive and engaged on D and sharing the ball very well on offense so his teammates give more (even if they may be doing it subconsciously).  I hope they all keep it up!

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Jdawgflow said:

JC specifically talked about the bolded in his post fame interview last night with Lauren.  Said they all play better on defense when they feel engaged on offense and the ball moves.  I agree with him.  And it seems Trae is listening to this advice.  He is playing more aggressive and engaged on D and sharing the ball very well on offense.

JC is good.  It's crazy we want to trade him.   He's the glue guy.   The guy has improved so much in his time in the league.  The offensive stats may not show it.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Injuries forced Nate into giving JC more touches and it has definitely been a good thing.  Hope he keeps it up.  JC is a highly efficient scorer so the more touches he can get inside his comfort zone the better.  JC scoring inside should be a point of emphasis when CC is off the court.

I think what we are learning is that JC doesn't have to be in the PNR to score.   Nor does he have to be on the three point line.   We have ignored JC's transition scoring and his midrange scoring.   He has to protect the ball better.. but if he can get the ball in his spot (seems to be the elbow) he is money everytime.   He has shown that he can play face up or back to the basket.   The next Karl Malone won't have Karl Malone's size.  But he will have Karl Malone's game.   I think we see that in JC (to an extent). 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Injuries forced Nate into giving JC more touches and it has definitely been a good thing.  Hope he keeps it up.  JC is a highly efficient scorer so the more touches he can get inside his comfort zone the better.  JC scoring inside should be a point of emphasis when CC is off the court.

Absolutely.  But we need to have the whole team sharing well.  I think each starter except CC (unless lots of lobs or put backs) should be getting 10+ shots a game.  And AJ should as well.  And Bogi if he is on.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

JC is good.  It's crazy we want to trade him.   He's the glue guy.   The guy has improved so much in his time in the league.  The offensive stats may not show it.

My biggest concern with JC is will he ever be able to consistently shoot 3s again with his finger.  If he can then he is well worth $25mil each year.  If not, well I would have liked the LM and two 1sts trade with Utah from earlier in the season.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

JC is good.  We just don't make him the focus on offense.   That's the problem.  He has an all around offensive skill set. I'm not stat hawking, but I believe that he has improved something every year.   This year it's defense and middy game.   Everybody wants him to be 3 pt shooting and PNR JC.  He's more than that.   I would say that 3 pt shooting wasn't even his strength, he just became reliable at it.   We should be allowing him to find mismatches and sending the ball to him when he has a mismatch. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

Absolutely.  But we need to have the whole team sharing well.  I think each starter except CC (unless lots of lobs or put backs) should be getting 10+ shots a game.  And AJ should as well.  And Bogi if he is on.

Before we isolate CC.   A lot has been made of his bunny misses.   CC is a very reliable scorer on the PNR, the lob, and anytime he has the ball in front of the goal.  His struggle is shooting from the side.  Trae will find no other person that knows he is about to put up a lob better than CC.   That's why he replaced JC in the PNR.  He sets a good pick.. is never called for a moving screen...and he catches the ball and finishes in one motion. 

It may take OO years to learn how to catch the ball and finish in one motion.   I have watched Ayton.. I don't think he's much better than OO in the pick and roll.   Some reason he brings the ball back down too.  I'm sure that Trae vetoed that trade because he recognized that Ayton is not going to bring the defensive anchor AND that Ayton will not be as good catching a lob... Turnovers will increase. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Before we isolate CC.   A lot has been made of his bunny misses.   CC is a very reliable scorer on the PNR, the lob, and anytime he has the ball in front of the goal.  His struggle is shooting from the side.  Trae will find no other person that knows he is about to put up a lob better than CC.   That's why he replaced JC in the PNR.  He sets a good pick.. is never called for a moving screen...and he catches the ball and finishes in one motion. 

It may take OO years to learn how to catch the ball and finish in one motion.   I have watched Ayton.. I don't think he's much better than OO in the pick and roll.   Some reason he brings the ball back down too.  I'm sure that Trae vetoed that trade because he recognized that Ayton is not going to bring the defensive anchor AND that Ayton will not be as good catching a lob... Turnovers will increase. 

Ayton is a lot taller than OO though.  Got to think his lob potential is much higher.   Look what Trae got out of Alex Len and Damian Jones.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don’t think that is isolating CC.  Using him for lobs when available is great.  Getting put backs is great.  But we should not be getting him looks on the block like he is Deke about to do one of his mechanical hook shots a few times a game in order to “throw him a bone”.  CC knows his role I think.

But the other guys need to share the load.  We are at our best when doing that as JC was saying post game last night.  It makes our offense and defense better.

And as @TheNorthCydeRisessays, sometimes Trae will have to take over but I think that will be less often now.

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

I certainly agree that health is a huge factor.  Where I don't get it, is...the "next man up" mentality should still show somewhat.  Before the recent games, the leaders didn't lead or if they tried, it didn't work.  Those first quarters were some of the most brutal basketball you could watch. Not ready? Warming up? Getting loose? Hell nah.  Not ready to play.  That's inexcusable.  Healthy or not.

We haven't really had a next man up for Capela.  Last season we didn't put things together until he regained form.  I can't think of a stretch of success we've had that doesn't include healthy and effective Capela.  

This was last year: https://theathletic.com/3212409/2022/03/28/clint-capela-on-his-frustration-with-hawks-defense-his-health-and-this-season-being-a-wake-up-call/

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Ayton is a lot taller than OO though.  Got to think his lob potential is much higher.   Look what Trae got out of Alex Len and Damian Jones.

Been Watching.   Ayton brings the ball down.   He's taller... cool  He does go back up and score easier than OO.. but why bring a lob down in the first place?  So that small guys can get a chance to take it?

Ayton may do better with a DJM PNR.  DJM is going to hit him with a pocket pass.   I think this leads to turnovers too.  But it will be better for Ayton.  

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

I don’t think that is isolating CC.  Using him for lobs when available is great.  Getting put backs is great.  But we should not be getting him looks on the block like he is Deke about to do one of his mechanical hook shots a few times a game in order to “throw him a bone”.  CC knows his role I think.

But the other guys need to share the load.  We are at our best when doing that as JC was saying post game last night.  It makes our offense and defense better.

And as @TheNorthCydeRisessays, sometimes Trae will have to take over but I think that will be less often now.

Sometimes, I think we fictionalize Deke.   Deke was what he was... The Best rim protector in the history of the game.   But apples for apples, I would be willing to guess at the same age/stage  Clint is a better scorer than Deke.   More efficient and more points.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Been Watching.   Ayton brings the ball down.   He's taller... cool  He does go back up and score easier than OO.. but why bring a lob down in the first place?  So that small guys can get a chance to take it?

Ayton may do better with a DJM PNR.  DJM is going to hit him with a pocket pass.   I think this leads to turnovers too.  But it will be better for Ayton.  

Trae usually puts the ball where bringing down isn't even an option though.   I don't know.  it'd be interesting to see but Capela does seem like the ideal fit.  If healthy