• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nate McMillan Fired

theheroatl

11 minutes ago, Afro said:

Shoot not even just Steph. Warriors have an elite playmaker(Dray) AND another lethal catch and shoot scoring option(Klay).

Trae has none of that. 

But Steph makes it easy for them to play with. Klay is not an ideal 1st option. Dray is a difficult fit in most franchises. Steph is extremely flexible. We got a lot of talent in Atlanta. Most of it, young but we got talent. We just got to make it work. 

Murray is one of the best two-way PGs.

Hunter is a two-way big wing who can defend 4 positions plus big wings

Okongwu is an energy big with a shooting touch who can defend in space, defend multiple positions and defend switches which are very valuable in today's NBA. 

JC isn't exactly an ideal modern player but he does a lot of winning things even if he's overpaid. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I can't ever remember MJ, Kobe, Lebron, or Giannis doing this.

Just because this worked for Curry doesn't mean it will for Trae. Reggie Miller was the best off ball Superstar I know of and he never got over the hump. Critics continue to paint this narrative that Trae's play style holds him back, when the truth is nobody has duplicated the success of GS and their system.

The system must fit your best players. There are ways to maximize ALL players strengths. Smart coaches figure that out. Before Curry learned to be an NBA PG, he was already a generational shooter. Curry had 3 head coaches try to convince him he was a PG because he was too small to play SG, before Kerr said no more, you are a shooter and we will play off of that.

Trae is not Curry (no one is). 

Trae doesn't have to suddenly become the off-ball player that Steph, RIP Hamilton, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, etc., are/were. Trae needs to add that element to his game. Trae is a generational PnR guard with great vision and passing ability. But he needs to develop a counter for when defenders can take away his primary means of action on offense. MJ, Kobe, and LeBron all developed their post-play and added to their arsenal. That is all Trae needs to do with off-ball movement. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

Trae doesn't have to suddenly become the off-ball player that Steph, RIP Hamilton, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, etc., are/were. Trae needs to add that element to his game. Trae is a generational PnR guard with great vision and passing ability. But he needs to develop a counter for when defenders can take away his primary means of action on offense. MJ, Kobe, and LeBron all developed their post-play and added to their arsenal. That is all Trae needs to do with off-ball movement. 

Name a PG not named Steph Curry that you would like to see Trae mimic his off ball movement after?

People keep saying that he needs to move without the ball.  I need a PG example of what people are talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Name a PG not named Steph Curry that you would like to see Trae mimic his off ball movement after?

People keep saying that he needs to move without the ball.  I need a PG example of what people are talking about.

I don’t think that clip is suggesting Trae change his entire playing style but it suggesting the next step in an elite players growth. Quite frankly the entire team needs to move without the ball with more intention even if they know the ball is not coming to them. It creates more opportunity for entire team to benefit from space and angles. I have seen Trae do this over the last 10 or so games and it works. AJ is a natural at it. Dre is the worst at it. There is no bigger advocate for Trae than me and everybody has got to look within and try to get 1% better every day. Jrue Holiday does this pretty good. I would still rather have Trae a thousand over because he is much more talented. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I feel misunderstood. I'm not saying Trae should be like Curry or any other player who is mainly off-ball. 

I want Trae to add that dimension to his game. Of course, PnR and Iso plays will always be his primary offense, but he must be able to give teams something else to think about. 

• Like 1

Every PG in the NBA moves better off the ball than Trae that plays key minutes. Don't give me guys like Michael Carter-Williams who are out of the league. I can't think of anyone at PG. 

• Thanks 1

But to answer your question, he could pick something up from Lillard, Poole, Rozier, & McCollum 

Based on this list: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-point-guard-rankings-2022-23-starters/xkrzvjczcf5ecphwydfbmlgt

Westbrook, Porter Jr., and D Russell are bad at off-ball movement. That said, all of them are better at it than Trae other than Porter Jr. Porter Jr. might be the worst in the NBA for PGs at it but it's one of the reasons why he shouldn't be a PG much less starting. Russell is a good C&S guy but he doesn't really move off the ball well and gets in the way more than anything else. With the Lakers, it's different as Bron just needs someone who just stands around and can hit open shots so he fits doing that BS there but it didn't work in GS or MIN and he was constantly getting in the way offensively. Russ, of course, is good at cutting like Bazemore but he moves off the ball like a dummy like Bazemore and it does more harm than good. These are the only ones that are bad off the ball. Trae is probably 2nd worst in the league for PGs who play major minutes. 

4 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

But to answer your question, he could pick something up from Lillard, Poole, Rozier, & McCollum 

All of these guys are GOOD off-ball offensive players. They constantly move, don't stand around, they get into good spots to not just score but force the defense to adjust and make a decision. While Rozier doesn't have the shot-making qualities of the others, he really has a good feel for how to get open to score off the ball. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 2/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, REHawksFan said:

Oh no...there's PLENTY of haters on here.  They've just been on a slight hiatus.  Don't worry, the usual suspects will crawl back from under their rock now that there's a feeding frenzy.  

There is a big difference between being critical of Trae's attitude AND play, and being a hater. It's almost the same as if I was calling people Trae's bootlickers, just on the opposite direction. 

Trae is sometimes infuriating especially when he resorts to hero ball, and his atrocious defense doesn't do him any favors.

He might not be as good as you think he is. And obviously he might be better than I this he is. Either way, this team still needs a "superstar". 

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...