• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Want a laugh?  Remember when we used to discuss Collins and certain folks would be all, "He's nowhere near as good as Siakim".

Well, them same folks are now all "Siakim isn't even a huge upgrade over Collins".

Make it make sense, squd. 😄

image.gif.cca4d0c94191ee040cd48c038324832d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@kg01 they literally let me read for 20 seconds like a lil 👀 peep show.. teasers! :unsure:

Even Braaaaaaaaaddd rolls out his ish for free. Cunning ain’t even good and neither is that Terrence dude he just seems bitter and mad 😂. AJC isn’t needed. 

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I get how we the fans feel about Siakam. I want to know what it is about him that our front office is so stuck on.

Knowing everything he has said about re-signing, knowing what the Raps want for him, knowing his contract costs next offseason, and knowing he isn’t considered as a game changer.

What the heck is it about Siakam that our FO are the ones putting up with the BS to bring him in?

Why is he even an option let alone option (1) over KAT?

What does the FO know that makes them so committed to this cause?

We know Trae and DJ pushed to play with each other last summer.

Is that happening in this case? Does Trae believe in Spicy P that much?

Well, our FO probably values (or compared to some here, acknowledges at all) players who can play defense.  In fact, they specifically said they want guys that can defend multiple positions and Siakam can damn near guard 1-5 on any night.  Anyways, we've disucssed this ad nauseum, per below.  The obsession with spacing by looking at 3P%s is unique to this board and not shared by the front office.  You don't have to be Steph Curry to space the floor -- a serviceable 3P% when open is good enough defenders have to respect the pass.  Add in the fact Siakam with space in front of him is likely to cook his defender and you are spacing the floor as well.  Spacing via 3P shooting is overvalued here imo.  We'd easily be a top 5 offense with Siakam and people who doubt that are undervaluing Trae.  Difference is we could have a top 10 defense a well, whereas with KAT we're likely sliding backwards from our already poor 23rd rated defense last year.

On 7/9/2023 at 12:06 PM, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, but I'd only really be happy if we landed Siakam or JB because both of those guys wouldn't be 35% maxes, and both of them stay healthy and would fit well into the roster.  I agree with your sentiment on KAT, and in addition to injury risk, massive drain on cap space, he doesn't fit as well as the other two.  We become really pigeon holed at every other position because Trae+KAT has to be two of the worse defenders at their positions in the NBA.  So making a deal for KAT before giving Snyder time with the roster feels really rushed and could hamstring our top 5 coach's ability to get us to the next level

On 7/9/2023 at 8:17 PM, JeffS17 said:

I’ve thought about KAT a lot and I don’t think any team with him and Trae will be a contender.  The defensive holes those two create are far too great to overcome in the playoffs.  You could have three all-defense players with them, but it wouldn’t matter come playoff time.  Any good coach will target them hard and you just cant hide two ppl, especially not a center.  Probably be a great regular season team though.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:05 PM, JeffS17 said:

I understand the appeal of KAT but we were like #7 offense last year with JC broken shot, no spacing from Capela, and midrange Murray— not to mention outdated offensive principles from Nate.  More offense at the expense of defense does not feel like the direction to go… especially at center.  Imo its way easier to coach guys into an offensive scheme that gets them them better looks, better efficiency, than it is to teach defensive instincts and awareness.  So team Siakam for me

14 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

7th rated offense last year with a worse shooting lineup than what we’d look like with Siakam.  And that doesnt account for the fact we’d have a PF that can dribble, drive, and play make.  Also doesnt account for Nate’s system — does anyone think Quin is a worse offensive coach? Id love to have that debate.

So our floor is already looking like 7th rated offense — thats how good Trae is.   Add in Quin, a PF that can dribble, and hopefully (fingers crossed) 3P shooting improvement from DJ, OO, and even Siakam (hell get better looks sharing court with Trae) and we have enough fire power imo.  Spacing is important but having someone in the front court that can dribble helps a lot.  So we dont need to overload on offensive talent imo, only one shot per possession.  We have A LOT of room to improve defensively.  Its clear to me why our FO values Siakam higher than KAT and I agree with them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I thought you had to pay for AJC articles now but this one just came up. 

Mikey cunningstan.. on Spicy 🌶️🥵 P.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/mike-check-blog/adding-pascal-siakam-would-give-hawks-their-big-three/NBC3NHXEHRCHRMR2JSWZEENSZE/   

Pretty bold of Mikey to make a whole column to this rumor when we're dealing with Toronto.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

The notion than an athlete took less money to give to another athlete makes no sense to me. If athletes are all friend and all agree to take less money like LeBron and friends then yes...but one funds the others? Makes no sense

this is actually the exact reason I quit being my brother's agent back in the day.  He was a minor league hockey player.  Had a great season one year and i was getting ready to renegotiate his contract and then without telling me he goes into the GM's office and tells him that he'll sign for less so they can use that extra money to bring in good players to help the team win.     I immediately quit and the team never got better, but the GM had an extra couple hundred bucks in his pocket every week.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Thank you.

Siakam would be a welcomed addition.  I think the hesitation for many of us is the price.  An expiring is tough to value. Siakam was the primary target on my first offseason wish list (along with Kyle Anderson and Brook Lopez).  If we think Trae, DJ, and Siakam can take us to infinity and beyond, do it.  I think the fatigue settling in from the rumor mill and the mentioned cost to acquire is allowing a sense of indifference to develop.

The East goes through Boston (depth/talent), Milwaukee (MVP/experience), and Miami (culture/toughness).  

Regardless of whether Siakam’s defense has taken a step back, he can be disruptive against Tatum, Butler, and Middleton (not really a concern).  Just visualizing his role and how he will utilized to win the East…

Edited by Hawkish
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Siakam would be a welcomed addition.  I think the hesitation for many of us is the price.  An expiring is tough to value. Siakam was the primary target on my first offseason wish list (along with Kyle Anderson and Brook Lopez).  If we think Trae, DJ, and Siakam can take us to infinity and beyond, do it.  I think the fatigue settling in from the rumor mill and the mentioned cost to acquire is allowing a sense of indifference to develop.

The East goes through Boston (depth/talent), Milwaukee (MVP/experience), and Miami (culture/toughness).  

Regardless of whether Siakam’s defense has taken a step back, he can be disruptive against Tatum, Butler, and Middleton (not really a concern).  Just visualizing his role and how he will utilized to win the East…

For the record, I think Siakam is the better overall player for this team mainly because of Trae's defensive shortcomings and worry about him and KAT in a playoff series, but Siakam isn't without his own shortcomings as it would relate to this team in the playoffs.  I lineup of OO and Siakam as the primary 4/5 could have it's challenges rebounding and playing defense against Embiid, Giannis, Lopez, Adebayo and some of the other bigs in the East.  I think they match up better than KAT and OO, but something to consider.  True contenders build their teams with playoff opponents in mind.  Who is our _______ stopper?  I think what we do at SF if we move for either of these guys is probably as important as getting either of them.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

For the record, I think Siakam is the better overall player for this team mainly because of Trae's defensive shortcomings and worry about him and KAT in a playoff series, but Siakam isn't without his own shortcomings as it would relate to this team in the playoffs.  I lineup of OO and Siakam as the primary 4/5 could have it's challenges rebounding and playing defense against Embiid, Giannis, Lopez, Adebayo and some of the other bigs in the East.  I think they match up better than KAT and OO, but something to consider.  True contenders build their teams with playoff opponents in mind.  Who is our _______ stopper?  I think what we do at SF if we move for either of these guys is probably as important as getting either of them.  

I agree — Having an identity is something we may become more familiar with now Snyder is here.  Understanding the identity may help us (backseat GM drivers) see value more clearly.  Having an identity requires others to match up with us (rather than just vice versa).  

How does Boston decide to defend Trae and DJ with Smart gone?  Siakam is quicker than Porzingis; quicker, longer, and more athletic than Horford; quicker than RWilliams (and Grant is gone).  We have numerous plus matchups against Boston.  Who does Middleton guard for Milwaukee?  Lopez is considered a strong defender but can he stay with OO/Siakam in space?  Just some thoughts…

7 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I agree — Having an identity is something we may become more familiar with now Snyder is here.  Understanding the identity may help us (backseat GM drivers) see value more clearly.  Having an identity requires others to match up with us (rather than just vice versa).  

How does Boston decide to defend Trae and DJ with Smart gone?  Siakam is quicker than Porzingis; quicker, longer, and more athletic than Horford; quicker than RWilliams (and Grant is gone).  We have numerous plus matchups against Boston.  Who does Middleton guard for Milwaukee?  Lopez is considered a strong defender but can he stay with OO/Siakam in space?  Just some thoughts…

Outstanding points!  I like the idea of having a team that can take advantage of matchups and utilize athleticism.  As good of a passer as Trae is, we rarely played fast for extended periods of time.    Having multiple guys who can defend multiple positions AND handle the ball????  I'm having a Fred Sanford clutching my chest moment!  lol.  

Not that he's starter material any longer, but does Danny Green have anything left in the tank?  Seems like that gritty 3andD vet that could be valuable.

10 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Outstanding points!  I like the idea of having a team that can take advantage of matchups and utilize athleticism.  As good of a passer as Trae is, we rarely played fast for extended periods of time.    Having multiple guys who can defend multiple positions AND handle the ball????  I'm having a Fred Sanford clutching my chest moment!  lol.  

Not that he's starter material any longer, but does Danny Green have anything left in the tank?  Seems like that gritty 3andD vet that could be valuable.

I would imagine not regarding Green; however, I can’t think of any reason not to welcome him to the bench as a veteran.  Something like this may be necessary if we do a 3-for-1 type deal.  E.g.  Hunter/Capela/Mathews for… X

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Couple days ago but does this mean we are ready to trade? Bruno signed. 

I think it was more of a serviceable big that is well liked by teammates for basically the vet minimum.  When they traded Garuba, they still needed a 3rd center.  Fernando is a great person for that role, especially at that salary and with the option years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1