• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

4 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

There are some categorically bad takes evaluating Sarr as a prospect in this thread.

At the end of the day, the kid has tools to work with and shows potential in all facets of NBA basketball. Offensively, he can dribble, pass, shoot and rim run. As such, he has a lot more information to process than bigs like CC who can only rim run. You can see that he makes mistakes, misses tough shots, and gets himself in to bad spots, but that’s mainly due to the fact that he has multiple reads versus the defense because he can do multiple things. I think playing alongside a Trae Young would be huge for him to hit the ground running as a PnR/PnP big man while he continues to develop his decision making and BBIQ. But to say he can’t shoot, can’t finish at rim, doesn’t have a turnaround jumper/hook, can’t pass out of the short roll, can’t dribble in transition, etc… would be a flat out misrepresentation of him as a prospect. He has shown all of these skills in actual live games. The game just has to slow down for him to be more consistent at them. 

There is a lot of that going on when it comes to him.  

• Like 1

My top 5 for the Hawks.  The players 2-5 may change.  #1 is set for me.  Also, this is based on the idea that Trae Young will not be traded, so no PGs:

1. Alexandre Sarr, switch big, Perth
  2. Zaccharie Risacher, floor spacing wing, JL Bourg
  3. Matas Buzelis, Floor spacing wing, Ignite
  4. Tidjane Salaun, Power wing, Cholet
  5. Ron Holland, slashing wing, Ignite

If Stephon Castle were willing to play off the ball and not be a PG, I'd have him instead of Holland on the list.  

My top 5 for the Hawks.  The players 2-5 may change.  #1 is set for me.  Also, this is based on the idea that Trae Young will not be traded, so no PGs:

If Stephon Castle were willing to play off the ball and not be a PG, I'd have him instead of Holland on the list.  

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

"Edey"

Or Clingan, for that matter.  You don't take Walker Kessler with the #1 overall pick, and that's Clingan's 90th percentile outcome.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Or Clingan, for that matter.  You don't take Walker Kessler with the #1 overall pick, and that's Clingan's 90th percentile outcome.  

you take a rim running big number 1 and you are getting fired. I can't believe he wants to die on this hill. If they really wanted that archetype just take Missi mid to late first

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Walker Kessler is only completed his 2nd year, that's not a defined outcome yet. 

Player A per 36 stats: 

24.2 P/36, 11.7 R/36, 2.7 A/36, 3.4 B/36, 0.8 S/36, 

.470 FG/.275 3P/.561 2P

Player B per 36 stats:

20.3 P/36, 9.2 R/36, 1.8 A/36, 2.8 B/36, 1.8 S/36

.520 FG/.298 3P/.605 2P

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Why wouldn't I be concerned? Why do you only ask this question to the person down on Sarr and not those saying off the wall comps like JJJ and KG? This type of behavior, I don't understand. It's basically telling me, you don't want to hear anything negative about Sarr. That's crazy, I have a full Edey thread and I know and expect to hear negative about him. Even from me at times. Why do we behave like this, that's more problematic to me. This [] is what we did with the Murray trade[]

Because we wouldn't be drafting him for what he is today, we would be drafting him to develop him into a significantly better player than he is today.  So sure, you can make the comparison of his current game to players that have years of NBA experience, but that is not a relevant comparison.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think Reed is definitely top 3 worthy.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

He said for the Hawks, not the draft at large. I *love* Reed Sheppard, he's my #3 prospect, but I wouldn't draft him for us either unless we trade Trae Young. 

• Like 3

I like Reed.  I don't think he's a point guard in the NBA, so you have to be careful with who you pair him with.  I like him better off the ball than on it.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I hope I am wrong but I don't think he is.  He is going to be a mixed bag defensively with good instincts and hands but lacking length and the speed of the best 2's. Offensively I expect him to be efficient and productive but not a lead scorer for a good team and think he will contribute as a ball handler and playmaker but closer to Bogi in that sense than to a primary playmaker.  He is a small SG both in terms of height and length and isn't enough of a playmaker to be a PG so fit will be important in terms of where he plays.  I think he and Trae would not work for example as they would be too small to pair together.  Sheppard has elite hops (like his dad did) but not elite athleticism (which I would consider as needing elite quickness to pair with the hops).  

He is a plus shooter and heady player so I think he'll be successful but in a supporting role on a good team rather than as a cornerstone for a franchise.  Hopefully he'll prove that I underestimated him and become a true star in the NBA.  There is nothing I don't like about what I've seen of him as a person so I'll be rooting for him regardless of what the Hawks do.

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I am NO, I would much rather have DJM than Garland but Allen would be a nice add to go with Darius.  (I'm not advocating here for an Ingram trade as I've expressed my reservations on the fit and finance issues around that elsewhere).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

If I am NO, I would much rather have DJM than Garland but Allen would be a nice add to go with Darius.  (I'm not advocating here for an Ingram trade as I've expressed my reservations on the fit and finance issues around that elsewhere).

As a Hawks fan, I'd much rather see Ingram in Cleveland than in Atlanta.  

1 minute ago, DS5 said:

Would you give up the first pick for Mikal Bridges? 

I like him, but no.