• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Hawks Roster and Season Previews

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Looking at it this way is a little alarming.  Pretty sure this was not Landry's plan in June.  One player in the frontcourt who's played  more than 200 nba games. 

Thought the same. Lots of small ball with Bey and Hunter playing PF.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Looking at it this way is a little alarming.  Pretty sure this was not Landry's plan in June.  One player in the frontcourt who's played  more than 200 nba games. 

I would definitely include Bey in the frontcourt, though.  That would at least make 2 people and I do expect him to get a lot of time as a stretch PF.

SNEAKY THOUGHT

Much has been discussed about the Hawks front court, especially the PF.  In our pre-season games, look for Mohamed Gueye to sneak in for a minute or two.  

We all thought of him as green as grass.  Summer League told us, no, he's not that green.  We had him penciled in as a Skyhawk for the next two or three years.  Wrong!  He may spend time there but he's not staying down there.  Remember, he's a pretty big young man, eager to learn.  We have new coaches, eager o teach.  Combine the two!  Steal of the draft showing up!!

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Previewing the Southeast Division

Which of the offseason moves within the division has the strongest potential to backfire?  

Nehm: I spent most of last season trying to figure out if there was going to be a contender lucky enough to trade for John Collins. I think he is incredibly talented and got lost in the shuffle in Atlanta. He was not traded until this offseason, but I am still a believer in Collins’ talent, and I think the Hawks may regret trading him. I understand the Hawks have a ton of talented young players and needed to figure out the logjam of playing time for those players. Removing Collins helps in that regard, but I find myself wondering if they picked the right player to jettison. Last season was the worst 3-point shooting season of Collins’ career (29.2 percent), but the six-year NBA veteran has shown the ability to shoot it at a 40 percent clip, and his athleticism can really pop. This is a big season for the Hawks as they need to prove this version of the team is actually going to work.

Heading into the season, which player, coach or executive in the division has the most to prove? 

Aldridge: Trae Young. His scoring skill is undeniable, and while he pounds the ball, he was second in the league (10.2) in assists last season — and rated highly in some advanced passing stats out there too, like potential assists per 75 possessions, from The NBA Underground. Yet the Hawks have gone through multiple coaches and a pretty good GM in Travis Schlenk in the last three years and gone from the East finals in ’21 to a barely-in postseason berth and first-round knockout last year. Now that’s not all on Young, to be sure. Atlanta has demanding ownership, and that makes for internal organizational churn. But Young is the Hawks’ franchise player, and the franchise has been trending in the wrong direction. Young has to be part of putting things back on course. 

https://theathletic.com/4902695/2023/09/27/nba-southeast-division-preview-heat-hawks-hornets-magic-wizards/

• Premium Member

The next step in Quinball

After taking over as head coach late in February, head coach Quin Snyder was careful to not adjust the way the Hawks had played under the previous coaching tenure. Now, with a full offseason out of the way, he and his newly built staff can begin to implement his ideals into a new Hawks basketball product this fall.

Last season, the Hawks ranked dead last in the NBA in three-point rate (3PR), finishing at 33% of all field goal attempts coming from deep. Even after a coaching change, little changed in terms of their shot diet, going from 32.9% 3PR pre-Nate McMillan’s dismissal to 33.4% post-dismissal.

But after the regular season, there began a subtle shift in shot selection. In a Play-In Tournament upset win at the eventual Eastern Conference champions the Miami Heat, the Hawks fired up 41 of their 96 shots from three for a three-point rate of 43%. Then, in the first round series against the Boston Celtics, the Hawks maintained a 39% 3PR across the six games — higher three-point rate than in any month of the regular season.

By the Atlanta Hawks’ 2023 Las Vegas Summer League campaign, Atlanta had gone all in on spacing the floor, and they chucked up threes at a much higher rate than many fans were used to seeing. Of course, the majority of the players there will not be regular contributors to the team, but even with that grain of salt the Hawks absolutely let it fly during their five-game stint. Their 3PR was a sky-high 51.4%, among the highest of any team in the tournament.

That three-point rate clearly won’t hold with the regular season team, as it would rank second NBA history behind only the 2018-19 Houston Rockets. But the goal seems to be to better space the floor with ancillary players to allow Young and Murray to more easily operate the team’s spread pick-and-roll scheme. It will come as a radical change to a more ground-bound approach by the previous regime, but as the league increasingly adopts pace-and-space ideals, the Hawks will be best served by catching a ride on this trend.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why doesn't Patty Mills  have a jersey number? Is he stateside yet? Is he joining the team? Are we sure he's even on the team? I don't remember the Hawks twitter with the 'Welcome to the Hawks' intro. I have so many questions. Is he on the trade block? Does he want to be here? He wasn't at the team building with ATLUD?

WHERE IS PATTY???

• Like 1

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Why doesn't Patty Mills not have a number? Is he stateside yet? Is he joining the team? Are we sure he's even on the team? I don't remember the Hawks twitter with the 'Welcome to the Hawks' intro. I have so many questions. Is he on the trade block? Does he want to be here?

He wasn’t in that last video that the team posted where “everyone” was present and practicing with the United.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Every NBA Team's Biggest Question Ahead of Media Day

Atlanta Hawks: What's Different?

The Atlanta Hawks were the definition of average last season. They broke the NBA record for the most consecutive games within a game of a .500 record.

This summer, their most significant move was trading John Collins to the Utah Jazz for little more than a bigger cushion between themselves and the luxury-tax threshold.

Are incoming rookie Kobe Bufkin and absence of Collins going to make this team any different than it was last season?

Atlanta can point to a year of experience with the Trae Young-Dejounte Murray partnership as a source of optimism. Head coach Quin Snyder came in midway through the 2022-23 season, so maybe a full offseason and training camp will help him make a bigger impact.

Things could eventually look different, but it's hard to look at the current roster without thinking Atlanta didn't just hit the repeat button on last season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090407-every-nba-teams-biggest-question-ahead-of-media-day

If you had told me our biggest offseason move was trading JC for Patty Mills and a 2nd...:blanky:

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If you had told me our biggest offseason move was trading JC for Patty Mills and a 2nd...:blanky:

I wish you had told me! Or somebody! My avatar is gonna be an Ashley Judd delight (afternoon) soon. 😂 

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

NBA offseason grades: Rating each team’s summer moves (and non-moves) in 2023

Southeast Division

Atlanta Hawks

Grade: C

The Hawks signed Dejounte Murray to an extension, which has to be considered a plus and speaks to Murray’s relationship with coach Quin Snyder. But from a strictly personnel standpoint, this offseason was less than great. General manager Landry Fields and owner Tony Ressler waited far too long to trade John Collins, and by the time they did, Collins had been devalued to the point that Atlanta effectively received only a second-round pick in return. The deal solved an impending luxury-tax problem, but didn’t improve the roster. They have yet to deal the overpriced De’Andre Hunter (who’s owed $90 million over four more seasons) and still are carrying two centers: Clint Capela (who’s owed $43 million for two years) and Onyeka Okongwu (who’s entering the final year of his contract). The major roster upgrade: 35-year-old Patty Mills. The team likes draft picks Kobe BufkinSeth Lundy and Mouhamed Gueye, but it’s dangerous to expect an immediate impact from any of them. — Jeff Schultz

https://theathletic.com/4904793/2023/09/29/nba-offseason-grades-blazers-heat-76ers/?source=twitterhq