• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Free Agency 06/30 at 6PM

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, ABH said:

We ha e a better chance of resigning dj than siakam next year..

Yeah, we have a better chance at resigning Hunter than OG but if you had a choice, who do prefer?

4 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I’m sorry, but this is absurd.  Who?  Why do I watch/care about this sport when teachers are paid ~$50K?

I mean, anyone can be a teacher. There are how many in this world? Can anyone be a professional Basketball player. No

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Anunoby told representatives during meetings with prospective agents, according to people familiar with the situation, that he was searching for greater ball-handling and playmaking duties in advance of his upcoming contract talks. Without that chance in the Raptors’ offense under new head Darko Rajaković, there remains the ongoing possibility that Anunoby could request a trade from the franchise during what’s now the third season of a four-year, $72 million contract — which Anunoby relayed to potential agents he deemed was below his market value, but does include a player option before the 2024-25 season.

Even then, there remains the roadblock of Toronto communicating what rival front offices have consistently deemed unrealistic valuations for its players — such as Anunoby, All-Star forward Pascal Siakam and VanVleet himself — that would make any potential trade exit appear more fraught than meets the eye. These negotiations are never without the moving goalposts of leverage, but teams and players can often mistake time and the looming threats of the next transaction cycle as a factor in their favor. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I’m sorry, but this is absurd.  Who?  Why do I watch/care about this sport when teachers are paid ~$50K?

There are ~450 of them that can so something most of us can't, unfortunate as it is for teachers.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Let me try to sort this out for you folks.

If there was a good market for JC, we would have taken advantage of it.  Fields didn't sit there going, "well the Clips are offering 2 1sts but I'm going to take Gay and a 2nd".  We took the best offer available so we can move forward. This was about moving JC to clear money and try to find better fits around the players you have.  That's it.  It isn't being cheap, its being smart.

I own 3 dogs. One hates squirrels. One has been my buddy for > 10 years. The last is highly entertaining even if he's huge and afraid of his own shadow, he makes me laugh and gives me something to do.  One keeps my yard varmint free.  one is my buddy.  One is my project.  They all serve a purpose.  I couldn't function well with 3 buddies nor with 3 varmint trackers nor with 3 with psychological issues.  They all serve a purpose.  

JC has talents....but he isn't a better rebounder than Clint. Clint takes a lot of the rebounds JC normally gets.  He isn't a better passer than JJ, nor does he have a higher ceiling.  He doesn't have the dog in him Bey does and isn't fearless like OO.  They all are better at what he can bring to the table and he isn't a consistent enough 1v1 player or 3 point shooter to justify him that way either.  He's a very poor help defender (conflict Trae), poor read defender (conflict DH/CC).  He's a terrible fit. Great guy, decent player, awful fit.

Yeah, I get all that but ..... am I your buddy?

6 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I think we all want teachers, cops, etc to be paid more for their contributions to society.  But that's a discussion for a different forum ain't it?

Agree with your sentiment though.  Bane is good but that's a lotta dough for a guy that's really more of a complimentary piece. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Anunoby told representatives during meetings with prospective agents, according to people familiar with the situation, that he was searching for greater ball-handling and playmaking duties in advance of his upcoming contract talks. Without that chance in the Raptors’ offense under new head Darko Rajaković, there remains the ongoing possibility that Anunoby could request a trade from the franchise during what’s now the third season of a four-year, $72 million contract — which Anunoby relayed to potential agents he deemed was below his market value, but does include a player option before the 2024-25 season.

Even then, there remains the roadblock of Toronto communicating what rival front offices have consistently deemed unrealistic valuations for its players — such as Anunoby, All-Star forward Pascal Siakam and VanVleet himself — that would make any potential trade exit appear more fraught than meets the eye. These negotiations are never without the moving goalposts of leverage, but teams and players can often mistake time and the looming threats of the next transaction cycle as a factor in their favor. 

Can we go after Grant Williams and OG.. that would solve some serious defensive deficiencies.

Supes and Peoria can whine about DJ for the next year or so, we got defensive problems to solve.

People forget we don't need playmakers or offense.. WE NEED FREAKIN DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Supes and Peoria can whine about DJ for the next year or so, we got defensive problems to solve.

One way to solve our defensive deficiencies is to get rid of one of the main culprit which is Dejounte Murray

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Can we go after Grant Williams and OG.. that would solve some serious defensive deficiencies.

I dont like Grant Williams but he may come relatively cheap I guess.  And he does actually play defense.  Smh

OG sounds like he's a little too big for his britches.  If he could dribble, TOR would've let him probably.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

One way to solve our defensive deficiencies is to get rid of one of the main culprit which is Dejounte Murray

lmao, you're sending me... so DJ averages more steals by far than anyone on our team and he is the liability?

Not to mention the highest defensive win shares backcourt player we have by far..

Just proves that your ranting and agenda are not based in facts, just opinion. 

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

lmao, you're sending me... so DJ averages more steals by far than anyone on our team and he is the liability?

So that's the problem...You think that DJ is a good defender.  Now I get it!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Salary perspective.

Desmond Bane = 2 DJM.  I think you went easy calling it absurd.

I initially was going with “disgusting”, but I toned it down for the sake of… what was the word of the day… histrionics?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

and they have to spend up to what amount by the first game.. something like 95%?

90% to start the season. They don't have to, they'll just miss put on their share of the LT payment. Last year's was $15 mil.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I dont like Grant Williams but he may come relatively cheap I guess.  And he does actually play defense.  Smh

OG sounds like he's a little too big for his britches.  If he could dribble, TOR would've let him probably.  

Grant Wiliams gives us problems. Imagine adding Grant, Delon Wright, and OG. 

Depending on who we send out, we can still be a top 10 offense team while adding a ton of defense.

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Salary perspective.

Desmond Bane = 2 DJM.  I think you went easy calling it absurd.

Bane's new deal will kick in at the same time whenever DJ gets his new deal next season. Bane this season will make $3+ mil, DJ $18.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

image.gif.f7d644469d8d50662bc6a1cccbe76fce.gif

I would agree, however— look at his “games played”.  Quite concerning given his age…

16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, I get all that but ..... am I your buddy?

I think we all want teachers, cops, etc to be paid more for their contributions to society.  But that's a discussion for a different forum ain't it?

Agree with your sentiment though.  Bane is good but that's a lotta dough for a guy that's really more of a complimentary piece. 

My apologies, kg.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Per usual, Spurs wisely waiting out the wild, wild west of stupidity.

Spurs are in year 1 of Wemby...I wouldn't expect anything different. They're going to use their capspace for picks. Similar to what we did in our tank years.

• Like 1