• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Free Agency 06/30 at 6PM

JayBirdHawk

Even the rising noise about Toronto forward Pascal Siakam has seemed to quiet. The Hawks and Raptors have discussed various concepts to send Siakam to Atlanta in recent weeks, sources said, however those conversations have not generated any forward progress of late. Elsewhere with the Hawks, there continues to be optimism among league personnel familiar with the situation that Atlanta will come to terms on a contract extension for All-Star guard Dejounte Murray.

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-nbas-moratorium-lifting-leagues-focus-now-shifts-to-restricted-free-agents-215641767.html

My opinion: Further solidifies belief that Murray was never included in convos with Toronto. If anything I think Toronto still has the Hunter, AJ, OO offering on the table or some variation of it.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, Afro said:

Picking your one and only destination is free agency. Dame chose to sign his last contract though. If he wanted to be able to pick his one and only destination, enter free agency. 

Working the media so you get exactly what you want and the other party gets the shaft is not how contracts work. 

Glad to see more of these posts popping up. I love the parity in todays NBA, but hate the players signing a long term extension and saying “hey, trade me here.” 

To me, if you sign that long term extension you commit to making that team better. You don’t ask out when you couldn’t deliver.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Even the rising noise about Toronto forward Pascal Siakam has seemed to quiet. The Hawks and Raptors have discussed various concepts to send Siakam to Atlanta in recent weeks, sources said, however those conversations have not generated any forward progress of late. Elsewhere with the Hawks, there continues to be optimism among league personnel familiar with the situation that Atlanta will come to terms on a contract extension for All-Star guard Dejounte Murray.

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-nbas-moratorium-lifting-leagues-focus-now-shifts-to-restricted-free-agents-215641767.html

Definitely doesn't look like Murray is a part of the Siakam deal.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Glad to see more of these posts popping up. I love the parity in todays NBA, but hate the players signing a long term extension and saying “hey, trade me here.” 

To me, if you sign that long term extension you commit to making that team better. You don’t ask out when you couldn’t deliver.

I don't mind asking to be traded for the most part. Things can change. 

But you can't have it both ways. You can't say "I want the money" and also say "I don't want any of the restrictions this puts on my labor. I want stability but also total free agent freedom whenever I want."

Edited by Afro
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er:....his max on his current contract is $25.2 million. I would be floored if that happens. 

Same, I don't really see how or who is optimistic here.  He's worth a lot more than $25M per, particularly given some of the recent contracts being handed out.  Maybe we will sign him to a 5 or even 6 year deal that he would like to lock up now.  Still feels like there's zero chance of even that happening though, given the 8% escalators are lower than the 10% projected cap increases per year.

Pretty sure they can extend like this: 

$14,286,000

$15,428,880

$16,571,120

$17,714,000

2024 Veteran Ext
$35,600,000

2025 Veteran Ext
$38,100,000

2026 Veteran Ext
$45,000,000

2027 Veteran Ext
$45,000,000

Can't exceed 40% increase from the final contract year which is why @JayBirdHawk alluded to the $17.7M * 1.4 = $25M

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Pretty sure they can extend like this: 

$14,286,000

$15,428,880

$16,571,120

$17,714,000

2024 Veteran Ext
$35,600,000

2025 Veteran Ext
$38,100,000

2026 Veteran Ext
$45,000,000

2027 Veteran Ext
$45,000,000

If it's an extension, it will be to his EXISTING $18 million contract at a rate of 140% MAXIMUM!

He needs to hit Free Agency to get a new deal with new cap figures.

If the Hawks had capspace, they could give him a raise and extension similar to what the Kings did for Sabonis.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If it's an extension, it will be to his EXISTING $18 million contract at a rate of 140% MAXIMUM!

If the Hawks had capspace, they could give him a raise and extension similar to what the Kings did for Sabonis.

Yeah that seems likely but perhaps the market is signaling that the Hawks will do that like the Kings and Sabonis. That may be the point of that line. It doesn't change anything from previous other than somebody is signaling that Murray is staying not getting traded.

Somebody run a quick calc of max players on bird rights that re-sign new max deals. It's got to be 90-95%.

Edited by theheroatl

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dump Gay? lol

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Yeah that seems likely but perhaps the market is signaling that the Hawks will do that like the Kings and Sabonis. That may be the point of that line. It doesn't change anything from previous other than somebody is signaling that Murray is staying not getting traded.

Hawks would need to get under the $136 SALARY CAP to give him a raise, we are currently at ~$161 million meaning we'll have to cut $25 million to get to the cap and at least another $15 for the raise...so that's cutting $40 mil without taking any salary back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks would need to get under the $136 SALARY CAP to give him a raise, we are currently at ~$161 million meaning we'll have to cut $25 million to get to the cap and at least another $15 for the raise...so that's cutting $40 mil without taking any salary back.

We are at $130m in 2024-2025.. how are you figuring these? Seems like it's a lot simpler than you are trying to make it. His new deal is in the next salary year and we don't know what OO's salary is.. if there is salary matching on a Siakam trade, this still works. We also have a ton of team options for 2024-2025. Nonetheless a max for him still fits with no cap issues. Even an extension for Siakam fits if you take Dre + OO + AJ out (extensions looming). The odd man out is JJ.

Capela is expiring that year so I bet they trade out that contract.  A Trae, DJ, and Siakam max all fits easily if Capela is sent and Dre is traded but OO has to go because he gets something.

Also, the cap should go up drastically after 2025.

Edited by theheroatl