• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Free Agency 06/30 at 6PM

JayBirdHawk

16 hours ago, AHF said:

It depends on what they are sending out with KPJr whether they will get useful players back.  They have to pay someone to take Porter at this point.  He has a toxic or negative value.  So they have to pay someone to take him.  If they then want useful players back they also have to pay for that.  

We don't need anyone to eat him.

We can just waive him.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, LarsV8 said:

We don't need anyone to eat him.

We can just waive him.

So you think anyone wants him right now enough to give up valuable consideration for him?   I think that you may be overestimating the appetites of teams to take on that kind of risk.  The reason you need someone to eat him is to avoid the $16.8M this season and next.  If Houston doesn't value someone eating that, I think  your suggestion that they will just waive him makes sense. 

I think you are crazy if you think another team is going to assume that liability ($16.8M in pay and all the negative publicity that comes with assaulting a woman) and give up valuable players on top of that.  (Although perhaps what I would consider valuable is a higher standard than what you mean - I mean a player or players that the other team would want to keep and views as valuable contracts not players the other team view as toxic in terms of value and would want to dump.)  Porter has nice counting stats but sits at a career 4.0 Win Shares (total not average).  Granted that last season was clearly the best of his career but it isn't like he is a blossoming young stud ala Desmond Bane (who put up 7.2 and 5.8 Win Shares the last two seasons).  

Porter Jr. had already been suspended for personal conduct in college and suspended in the NBA for weapons charges.  Now this assault issue is on top of it.  He is raining red flags right now.  If Houston is considering cutting him, why would any other team be excited about paying valuable consideration to trade for him right now?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Houston Rockets guard Kevin Porter Jr. is accused of attacking girlfriend Kysre Gondrezick in a New York City hotel room earlier this week, but her attorney told Fox News Digital the allegations aren’t accurate. “Statements that were attributed to her were not her words,” said Gondrezick’s lawyer, Robert Hantman, referring to a criminal complaint. “She says he didn’t strike her repeatedly. He’s a big guy. If he hit her repeatedly, she’d have a broken jaw.”

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Not surprised about the OO or Bey extension not being done. I think the Hawks FO is still holding out hope for a deal somewhere. 

If they weren't they would be locking down their guys long term like LA.

Both Huerter and Hunter signed their early extensions mid October in their respective years so I don't think they not signing has much to do with trades. More about general negotiations.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 8:22 AM, AHF said:

So you think anyone wants him right now enough to give up valuable consideration for him?   I think that you may be overestimating the appetites of teams to take on that kind of risk.  The reason you need someone to eat him is to avoid the $16.8M this season and next.  If Houston doesn't value someone eating that, I think  your suggestion that they will just waive him makes sense. 

I think you are crazy if you think another team is going to assume that liability ($16.8M in pay and all the negative publicity that comes with assaulting a woman) and give up valuable players on top of that.  (Although perhaps what I would consider valuable is a higher standard than what you mean - I mean a player or players that the other team would want to keep and views as valuable contracts not players the other team view as toxic in terms of value and would want to dump.)  Porter has nice counting stats but sits at a career 4.0 Win Shares (total not average).  Granted that last season was clearly the best of his career but it isn't like he is a blossoming young stud ala Desmond Bane (who put up 7.2 and 5.8 Win Shares the last two seasons).  

Porter Jr. had already been suspended for personal conduct in college and suspended in the NBA for weapons charges.  Now this assault issue is on top of it.  He is raining red flags right now.  If Houston is considering cutting him, why would any other team be excited about paying valuable consideration to trade for him right now?

There is no 16.8m next season. 

Right now Houston's options are

1.) Waive him, and eat his 1m guaranteed next season. 

2.) Trade his expiring contract + asset for another impactful player to a team looking to clean up their books. The other team would simply waive him and he would never report. 

Again Houston doesn't need anyone to "eat" anything. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 9/16/2023 at 3:24 PM, LarsV8 said:

There is no 16.8m next season. 

Right now Houston's options are

1.) Waive him, and eat his 1m guaranteed next season. 

2.) Trade his expiring contract + asset for another impactful player to a team looking to clean up their books. The other team would simply waive him and he would never report. 

Again Houston doesn't need anyone to "eat" anything. 

Correct me if I am wrong.  There is $15.8M this season and $1M next season.  Add those together and that is $16.8M in eaten salary.  If you trade Porter's contract, it is the other team eating $16.8M and of course Houston isn't eating anything.  But that is why the other team is going to expect something more valuable than "please let us eat Porter's contract for you."

But that also probably puts us a bit closer together.  Because another word for a "team looking to clean up their books" is "a team with a negative value, toxic contract on their books that they can't unload for anything they actually want."  That scenario works in my mind because you are taking someone with negative value and a short contract (Porter) and dealing them for someone with negative value and a long contract (the player the other team wants to dump).  

If the other team's "impactful player" was good enough to draw actual interest, they would have already dealt them in a deal that landed them on a team with space (either directly ala the Hawks taking on Kyle Korver or indirectly where a third team facilitates the deal).  If the player's value is negative (i.e., you have to attach assets to get someone to take him), then it makes sense.  I'm just a bit skeptical of how impactful such a player will be at this time of year when teams have already had a ton of opportunity to clean up their books over the summer.