• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Referendum on Hunter....

Diesel

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

Did someone hack your account?

This is calling for Bey to be benched and traded in the same post and it like a week old.

You are such a gaslighter...That's not calling for a trade but rather a prediction.  I have said in other thread that I wished that we could resign Bey because he is great off the bench

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, AHF said:

Did someone hack your account?

This is calling for Bey to be benched and traded in the same post and it like a week old.

By the way, I didn't see the name Bey in my post regarding him going to the bench.  I merely stated JJ should be starting.  And if you are wondering, Bey had always come off the bench except for 3 game during his stent here

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

By the way, I didn't see the name Bey in my post regarding him going to the bench.  I merely stated JJ should be starting.  And if you are wondering, Bey had always come off the bench except for 3 game during his stent here

So who were you advocating be benched for JJ?  Hunter or CC?

• Moderators

If you are good with posts like this about Hunter then I think there won't be much for people to debate this year:

On 10/25/2023 at 8:14 PM, Peoriabird said:

OMG!  When are we going to start the referendum thread on Trae Young???

On 10/25/2023 at 9:41 PM, Peoriabird said:

Who would take [Trae in a trade] after tonight?

On 10/25/2023 at 9:54 PM, Peoriabird said:

Hard to change the bad habits of a coach killa! [Trae]

On 10/25/2023 at 10:23 PM, Peoriabird said:

There is no fit with those guys!  If they are going to continue to kill momentum like they always do by dominating the ball and the shots at the wrong time, there is no personnel fix for a Trae/Murray led team

On 10/25/2023 at 8:45 PM, Peoriabird said:

Meanwhile we thought that Murray extension was a bargain!🧐

I'm not going to give a "referendum" on any Hawks player early in the season.  I'm hoping this team will hit on all cylinders.   Hunter is hitting on all cylinders right now.  I can guarantee you won't see me throw him under the bus after a bad game or two anymore than I am going to sing his praises to the high heavens after a couple of good games.  I'll comment positively or negatively on his play as we go along but I'm not going to proclaim that there is no fit with him or claim his extension is good or bad based on a couple of games or call him a coach killer or anything like that.  

So don't call me out for not giving a referendum on Dre after 6 games but call me out if I'm calling for us to get rid of him after a couple bad games or something.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

That has been Bey's role since he has been here...Why are you acting so petty lately?

I'm not reading things the same way you are.  When you claim you never call for someone to be traded or benched and then I remember you calling for Bey to be benched and predicting him being traded I see a disconnect between those posts.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not reading things the same way you are.  When you claim you never call for someone to be traded or benched and then I remember you calling for Bey to be benched and predicting him being traded I see a disconnect between those posts.

I didn't call for him to be bench!  I want JJ to start.  What is your problem??

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I didn't call for him to be bench!  I want JJ to start.  What is your problem??

He was literally starting when you called for JJ to start in his place.  I don't have a problem.  That is just what those words mean.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with anyone calling for a player to be benched where they think there is a better starter.  But I wouldn't criticize others for doing it.    

On the merits, I was open to either JJ or Bey starting this year.  JJ has exceeded expectations while Bey has largely met them so JJ has enhanced his case to start.  This is a similar situation for me relative to OO and CC.  It doesn't bother me if one person thinks OO should start and another thinks CC should start.  We have two pretty good candidates with some different strengths and weaknesses and different levels of experience at PF and C.  At PG, SG and SF, it is simpler to me with clear starters.  Unlike some, I don't think Bey should be a consideration to start at SF because I think Hunter fits a unique role as a defender of big wings so I have a hard time buying off on any lineup where he isn't a starter.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

If you are good with posts like this about Hunter then I think there won't be much for people to debate this year:

I'm not going to give a "referendum" on any Hawks player early in the season.  I'm hoping this team will hit on all cylinders.   Hunter is hitting on all cylinders right now.  I can guarantee you won't see me throw him under the bus after a bad game or two anymore than I am going to sing his praises to the high heavens after a couple of good games.  I'll comment positively or negatively on his play as we go along but I'm not going to proclaim that there is no fit with him or claim his extension is good or bad based on a couple of games or call him a coach killer or anything like that.  

So don't call me out for not giving a referendum on Dre after 6 games but call me out if I'm calling for us to get rid of him after a couple bad games or something.  

I'm assuming you understand the context of many of those quotes meaning that if those 2 were going to play your turn, my turn basketball, there was no fit with them.  They both have since starting to play better within Quinn's system so those comments no longer apply.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm assuming you understand the context of many of those quotes meaning that if those 2 were going to play your turn, my turn basketball, there was no fit with them.  They both have since starting to play better withing Quinn's system so those comments no longer apply.  

If you are good with those types of comments being made about Hunter then I'll beg your pardon for having brought them up.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you are good with those types of comments being made about Hunter then I'll beg your pardon for having brought them up.

If Hunter is playing like that but he doesn't.  You keep making this about criticism and its not.  Its about making the case that Hunter has no value to this team and therefore needs to be either traded or benched.  When I suggest bending Trae or Murray, then come with this argument.  The referendum comment was just sarcasm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No @ 1 more game and it will be over. 

You don't erase 4 years of meh play with one real good week of basketball.  Even Marvin Williams had decent stretches in which he balled out for at least a week or two.  Let's see it for long stretches of the season.  He's playing great right now.

The big thing I'm seeing with Dre, is that the way we're playing in this offense is encouraging him to drive to the basket a lot more.  His shot attempts are exactly the same ( per 36 min ), but his efficiency is through the roof.

If Quin has finally unlocked his true potential as a player, it'll definitely make the Hawks a much better and dangerous team.

Such an poorus post. 4 years of bad play, are you serious?

[People should not] talk[] about Dre like he's Damian Jones when he's way more consistent than their favorite Hawk

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If Hunter is playing like that but he doesn't. 

People have their own justifications for why they have been critical of Hunter like you do for when you suggest that DM is overpaid.  So you seem to regularly see the criticism of Hunter as unjustified while I'm sure others feel the same way about criticism of other players.  

I suspect if the first game that Hunter struggles that someone suggested that he might not be fixable if he continues to make a mistake (not rebounding, or whatever) or maybe should be replaced by Bey or is making stupid decisions (ala being negative towards someone in the first game of the season as above) that you would not appreciate that.  Maybe I'm wrong and you would but that is up to you.

Again, I'm thrilled with what Hunter has done.  His first 5 games are even better than that best stretch of strong play we say from him at the start of the 2020-21 season before he got hurt.  Wishing him a fully healthy season and my wishlist for his production is earlier in this thread.  He is currently on pace to blow that out of the water.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

People have their own justifications for why they have been critical of Hunter like you do for when you suggest that DM is overpaid.  So you seem to regularly see the criticism of Hunter as unjustified while I'm sure others feel the same way about criticism of other players.  

I suspect if the first game that Hunter struggles that someone suggested that he might not be fixable if he continues to make a mistake (not rebounding, or whatever) or maybe should be replaced by Bey or is making stupid decisions (ala being negative towards someone in the first game of the season as above) that you would not appreciate that.  Maybe I'm wrong and you would but that is up to you.

Again, I'm thrilled with what Hunter has done.  His first 5 games are even better than that best stretch of strong play we say from him at the start of the 2020-21 season before he got hurt.  Wishing him a fully healthy season and my wishlist for his production is earlier in this thread.  He is currently on pace to blow that out of the water.

He's been playing well for years. He's always on the Athletic top players in their tiers list. Before he got older, he was always on the best young players list. This is the only place where Hunter is worse than whoever the backup is with some of these posters and they don't value what he does that everyone with sense seems to value which his defensive versatility, being a two way wing, 3 level scorer, he's consistent. 

The big thing he added this year is efficiency due to Quin scheme and he's more aggressive getting stocks due again to Quin's scheme

28 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If Hunter is playing like that but he doesn't.  You keep making this about criticism and its not.  Its about making the case that Hunter has no value to this team and therefore needs to be either traded or benched.  When I suggest bending Trae or Murray, then come with this argument.  The referendum comment was just sarcasm

Thank you! If Hunter was ass, it would be justified but he's generally always legit and solid. Always. It's only now, we see him playing nearly at an all star level. But it wasn't like he was bad before. He was previously playing at the level of his contract. 21 million. Now he's playing like a Murray new contract level baller. He's overperforming expectations. He's a big wing, they will always cost a premium as they are the hardest commodity to find and keep.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Such an poorus post. 4 years of bad play, are you serious?

[People should not] talk[] about Dre like he's Damian Jones when he's way more consistent than their favorite Hawk

I don't think a comparison to Marvin Williams is akin to a comparison to Damian Jones, do you?

I think most people see Marvin as a good reserve or subpar starter while Damian Jones is someone who is barely rosterable.

Let me paraphrase North's post and see if I'm reading your response to it correctly:

1) 5 games is not a big enough sample size.  - You seem to have no issue with this idea.

2) Hunter has been a meh player over his first 4 years akin to Marvin Williams.  - You disagree with this as you view his defensive flexibility as bringing a lot of value to the team and you don't think that is being acknowledged.  So you would maybe compare Hunter's first four seasons to someone better than Marvin Williams such as OG Anunoby.

3) Dre's efficiency is through the roof and if he plays like this he'll make the Hawks a much better team.  -  Seems like you don't disagree with this.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm assuming you understand the context of many of those quotes meaning that if those 2 were going to play your turn, my turn basketball, there was no fit with them.  They both have since starting to play better withing Quinn's system so those comments no longer apply.  

Murray and Dre both are getting a lot of quality touches. Last year, it was iso or wait for Trae to dribble, dribble, dribble and try to do something for both players with Dre getting the worst of it. 

Now the scheme is benefiting both players and they look their best doing it. Dre and Hunter both improved their 3pt shot. Significantly. Everyone so far seems to have improved from what I've seen so far from us.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Will you be satisfied with how he has embraced his role after 6 games unlike others?  This is what @NBASupes have been referring to in other thread.  Dre is passing the eye and the stats test and so-called fans are still not satisfied.  They are waiting in the weeds for that one bad game to jump out and say...I told you so!  This is so sad and such a low point in Hawk fandom

If he consistently plays with heart, I will be satisfied.   My problem with @NBASupes is that previously, he was giving Dre platitudes and congratulations and Dre wasn't doing one darn thing.   He would call the rest of HS idiots and say we don't know basketball and Dre wasn't doing anything but standing in front of his man.  I hope @NBASupes can see what "WE" were referring to NOW tha Dre is playing inspired basketball.  You don't have to guess about it when a guy plays up to his potential.  You don't have to look extraordinarily hard at advanced stats to make a case for a guy if he's playing up to his potential.   Last year, 2 rebounds, no assists, 3 turnovers, and 13 points and @NBASupes was saying Dre is the Best player we have had since Al Horford.   Now, Dre has cut down on the times he has bounced the ball off his foot.   He has cut down on the times he only looked for his shot.  He has cut down on the fact that he was indecisive with the ball.   He has cut down on the times that he walked into a trap.  His floor vision is better.   His anticipation is better.  His help defense was always good.   If this keeps up, you will hear no complaints from me because he is helping my favorite team. 

• Like 1