• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Referendum on Hunter....

Diesel

On 10/27/2023 at 11:33 AM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

As much as I rag on Hunter and his non-impact play, you need to give him more than 6 games.  Heck, we could easily be 4 - 2 or 1 - 5 after those 6 games, depending how this team shoots the ball.

Let's give the team time to get fully acclimated to Quin's system on both ends of the floor, before we make sweeping judgements one way or the other.

Now if a trade comes along that ships out Dre for a higher quality player, pull the trigger immediately. But as far as his role on the team currently, let this all play out.

At least give Dre and the others 10 games to carve out their roles.

One game away from going 4 - 2.

Here are Hunter's numbers since opening night

• 20.3ppg
  • 5.0 rebs
  • 1.8 asst
  • 1.8 stls
  • 57% FG
  • 44% 3FG
  • 88% FT ( 15 - 17 )

Dre's shot chart and FGs by location

image.png.d2ab621cee4a60af00c5cf1606671371.png

image.png.3228d82c6d07c4600d90e0dbf5bac272.png

This was last season's shot chart and FG location numbers

image.png.3f5697e8e1fdaa8f2e43b39f7bbd298f.png

image.png.24736ea7642fdf773fdfe8e739b65df5.png

Outside of the increased shooting percentages, what is the biggest difference that you see?

• Like 1

There was a great moment I think near the end of the Milwaukee game where Hunter was subbed out and he and Quinn exchanged looks on the sidelines where Quinn’s expression was basically saying, “See?”

If he keeps up this level of play (and stays healthy), we are Dangerous.

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So we are not going to follow the rules of the thread which clearly stated that the referendum expires after the 1st 6 games.  What a sucky fan base!

The only person who said that is Diesel so feel free to take it up with him if he doesn't agree with you.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think your expectations are not going to be met, and you know that.  Just as dozens of great games from Trae didn't stop all criticism of him forever more, 6 good games from Hunter won't stop people from critiquing him when he struggles.  (And every player has their struggles.)

For me, no single digit sample size of games is ever going to convince me of much.  But every legit sample size starts with a handful of games so I'm thrilled to see it with Hunter and hope it will be the start of a full season of excellence.  Hunter plays a critical role on this team and there is no one else who can fill his role as a defender of big wings.  That is going to guarantee him a significant role for as long as he wears as Hawks uniform, but if he keeps up with the more disruptive defense, the career best rebounding, the career best scoring, etc. he will do so much to help this team move from a low seed  / borderline playoff squad to a conference contender like we all want to see.  He is one of the X factors that can make the difference.  And, so far this year, he is doing exactly that.

To be fair, Diesel said the first 6 games 🤓

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

To be fair, Diesel said the first 6 games 🤓

Diesel absolutely set that bar but trying to hold other people to it doesn't make any sense.  I would never use a 6 game sample to make up my mind on a player.  (Good or bad).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Diesel absolutely set that bar but trying to hold other people to it doesn't make any sense.  I would never use a 6 game sample to make up my mind on a player.  (Good or bad).

Wow!  So it he played poorly, there would have been calls to bench or trade him.  Apparently, he can't win with this fan base.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Wow!  So it he played poorly, there would have been calls to bench or trade him.  Apparently, he can't win with this fan base.

You act like you don't criticize any players who have played 6 good games with us.  Every player is subjected to calls to bench them or trade them when they play poorly.  Look at the game threads from the first two games and see how many of those are in there.  If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure you participated in some of the criticisms of players on this team in those threads.  

Hunter is winning with this fan base right now if you can look past the outliers and recognize that the bulk of the posters have been praising Hunter this year and that the praise has grown stronger with every good game he has played.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

You act like you don't criticize any players who have played 6 good games with us.  Every player is subjected to calls to bench them or trade them when they play poorly.  Look at the game threads from the first two games and see how many of those are in there.  If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure you participated in some of the criticisms of players on this team in those threads.  

Hunter is winning with this fan base right now if you can look past the outliers and recognize that the bulk of the posters have been praising Hunter this year and that the praise has grown stronger with every good game he has played.

I've never called for someone to be benched or traded.  Its one thing to offer critique of someone's play like taking bad shots but it an entirely different animal when you question whether that player adds value to the team.  What up you and Deandre hunter?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

There were a couple of plays in the 3rd, early 4th last night where the Hawks were running the Quin offense and were not guard dominant.  During those plays, Hunter looked great.  Offensively he's bought into the scheme and seems both best and happiest when we're running it.  Defensively, its a tale of 2 Hunters.  When he buys in to the collapse on anyone who can drive mindset, he looks very good. When he goes back to wanting to play 1v1 he looks bad.  Waiting to see the all good.

Nobody else on the team has to play perfect to be accepted by the fan base except Hunter.  Very Strange

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Wow... I'm catching Sample Size flack for 6 games.   Let me explain.   I was speaking mainly on his play under Snyder... We have had 4-5 years of watching Hunter in a Hawks Jersey under two different coaching regimes.   Hunter is a player that is very polarizing because of his evident potential but his lack of production.   My hope was that after 6 games we could see which Hunter was showing up for Quin.... i.e. a Referendum.   So far, he has shown us that he's showing up for Quin.  And in the game it's paying off.

The other part to that is that some players shrink when it comes to change and the displeasure of the fan base.  I believe I penned this post right after Hunter was asked what he worked on this summer and he said "NOTHING".   It was a smartassy answer but at the same time, it almost seemed like he was ready to go.   Players that are ready to go rarely play hard for the new coach. 

I'm glad that he did work on something during the offseason and I am glad that he is buying into the Quin system.  With him playing up to his potential, we may be the best team in the East.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Nobody else on the team has to play perfect to be accepted by the fan base except Hunter.  Very Strange

This is not true.  Everybody wants to trade Capela.  Every game waiting to see his bunnies and complain while he's pulling down 14 boards and getting 5 blocks. 

People actually complained about Capela's play after the Minny game.  His play in the 3rd quarter was a big reason why we were able to come back.  DJ getting 41 would have been nothing if we were matching baskets with them.  Yet the Box Score watchers didn't see the immediate contribution of Capela and want him on the first thing out. 

Hunter gets flack for the same reason JC got flack...  The contract.   That's it.  Then you got a hungry man like Bey who is playing beside you.  You got to hold your own.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Wow... I'm catching Sample Size flack for 6 games.   Let me explain.   I was speaking mainly on his play under Snyder... We have had 4-5 years of watching Hunter in a Hawks Jersey under two different coaching regimes.   Hunter is a player that is very polarizing because of his evident potential but his lack of production.   My hope was that after 6 games we could see which Hunter was showing up for Quin.... i.e. a Referendum.   So far, he has shown us that he's showing up for Quin.  And in the game it's paying off.

The other part to that is that some players shrink when it comes to change and the displeasure of the fan base.  I believe I penned this post right after Hunter was asked what he worked on this summer and he said "NOTHING".   It was a smartassy answer but at the same time, it almost seemed like he was ready to go.   Players that are ready to go rarely play hard for the new coach. 

I'm glad that he did work on something during the offseason and I am glad that he is buying into the Quin system.  With him playing up to his potential, we may be the best team in the East.

Will you be satisfied with how he has embraced his role after 6 games unlike others?  This is what @NBASupes have been referring to in other thread.  Dre is passing the eye and the stats test and so-called fans are still not satisfied.  They are waiting in the weeds for that one bad game to jump out and say...I told you so!  This is so sad and such a low point in Hawk fandom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

1 more game and it will be over!  @Diesel will have to stop his hatred of Hunter and stop mischaracterizing him as Marvin William 2.0 forever!  Also @AHF will have to admit that it is now 3 coaches that see more in Hunter than his own fans which is sad.  @TheNorthCydeRises will have to stop trying to trade him. @theheroatl will stop trying to bench him and @terrell will have to stop dogging him during the game threads although the latter is wishful thinking...LOL   De'andre Hunter will finally be fully embraced by this fan base and seen as a valuable starter on this team for years to come!

No @ 1 more game and it will be over. 

You don't erase 4 years of meh play with one real good week of basketball.  Even Marvin Williams had decent stretches in which he balled out for at least a week or two.  Let's see it for long stretches of the season.  He's playing great right now.

The big thing I'm seeing with Dre, is that the way we're playing in this offense is encouraging him to drive to the basket a lot more.  His shot attempts are exactly the same ( per 36 min ), but his efficiency is through the roof.

If Quin has finally unlocked his true potential as a player, it'll definitely make the Hawks a much better and dangerous team.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

This is not true.  Everybody wants to trade Capela.  Every game waiting to see his bunnies and complain while he's pulling down 14 boards and getting 5 blocks. 

People actually complained about Capela's play after the Minny game.  His play in the 3rd quarter was a big reason why we were able to come back.  DJ getting 41 would have been nothing if we were matching baskets with them.  Yet the Box Score watchers didn't see the immediate contribution of Capela and want him on the first thing out. 

Hunter gets flack for the same reason JC got flack...  The contract.   That's it.  Then you got a hungry man like Bey who is playing beside you.  You got to hold your own.

Not me...I pushed back on Kat and Gobert trades

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What up you and Deandre hunter?

I'm asking the that question because you seem to be inventing lots of scenarios that don't exist to be upset about.  I've been very happy with Hunter this year and have repeatedly praised his play and expressed that I hope it continues.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No @ 1 more game and it will be over. 

You don't erase 4 years of meh play with one real good week of basketball.  Even Marvin Williams had decent stretches in which he balled out for at least a week or two.  Let's see it for long stretches of the season.  He's playing great right now.

The big thing I'm seeing with Dre, is that the way we're playing in this offense is encouraging him to drive to the basket a lot more.  His shot attempts are exactly the same ( per 36 min ), but his efficiency is through the roof.

If Quin has finally unlocked his true potential as a player, it'll definitely make the Hawks a much better and dangerous team.

So predictable

• Like 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I've never called for someone to be benched or traded.  

Did someone hack your account?

On 10/25/2023 at 8:01 PM, Peoriabird said:

Bey will be traded at the deadline!  JJ should be starting period!

This is calling for Bey to be benched and traded in the same post and it like a week old.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3