• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Defense and Hustle Tracking: 2023 - 24 season

TheNorthCydeRises

Indiana ( 11/21 )

Defense

https://www.nba.com/game/ind-vs-atl-0022300039/box-score?type=defense

image.thumb.png.72209acbff5488567269cf83f3bf992c.png

I need to watch the video to see what Jalen Johnson did wrong in this game.  No time to really analyze this now.  I just wanted to get it up.

Hustle

https://www.nba.com/game/ind-vs-atl-0022300039/box-score?type=hustle

image.thumb.png.e0c668cdaf2426c1fd19c56bff59fb5b.png

Proud of Trae's defensive activity in this game, although he was only to contest 2 shots.  The end of the game steal was fantastic.

Like I said, no real time to review all of this.  I'll do it later.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Those box out stats are absolutely atrocious. 5 total box outs for the whole team? Wowzers! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SalvorMallow said:

Those box out stats are absolutely atrocious. 5 total box outs for the whole team? Wowzers! 

I'm assuming that's box outs that lead to that player grabbing the rebound. 

But considering that we gave up 22 offensive rebounds last game, to only have 3 defensive box outs where we got the rebound, is crazy.

• Sad 1

On 11/19/2023 at 10:53 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I understand Rome wasn’t built in a day but Quinn’s offensive scheme is the only true improvement so far.

the defensive scheme need a lot of work and understanding. I’m not even sure I completely understand what Quinn’s defensive scheme is for our bigs.

they often look out of position. I understand sometimes that’s due to the guards where the bigs are making up for them but let’s be real….we’ve seen our guards in the post way too often this season, which makes me believe it’s definitely a scheme thing.

anyone that can explain Synder defensive scheme please do…this doesn’t look like the Utah defensive scheme in my opinion.

1 hour ago, JTB said:

anyone that can explain Synder defensive scheme please do…this doesn’t look like the Utah defensive scheme in my opinion.

Quin told us that he was installing his offense first.  Then he would install his defense.  We're not there yet.

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland ( 11/29 )

Defense

https://www.nba.com/game/atl-vs-cle-0022300055/box-score?type=defense

image.thumb.png.fc455d7395ca90c306b4a5fcecbe3710.png

Dre's defense was absolutely atrocious in this game.  For some reason, they don't show 3 of the made FGs against him.  But the other 9 that they do show . . smh.  One one of the plays, Dre pretty much lets Jared Allen box him out with Dre putting little to no effort to get around him.  Shot is missed and Allen is in perfect position to get the rebound right at the rim for the put back score.

Garland got pretty much anything he wanted vs Trae, who was either getting picked or blown by on a number of occasions.  Mitchell and Garland also got about 7 assists off of pick and roll action involving Trae.  Neither Trae and definitely our bigs, didn't handle that action well at all.

Bogi was a turnstile as well, with Okoro even going iso and backing him down all the way to the rim for a score ( with no one coming to help him ). Capela was getting schooled when he found himself going against Mitchell ( understandable ) or Mobley ( who is much more athletic and versatile than what Clint is used to defending ).

Hawks had 9 steals and 16 forced turnovers overall. But it wasn't nearly enough to stay in this game, especially when you shoot 34% FG.

Hustle

https://www.nba.com/game/atl-vs-cle-0022300055/box-score?type=hustle

image.thumb.png.a50948c81550aecefa54b3614e18cfc6.png

The 20 deflections do show some sort of defensive effort and activity.  That's normally a great number that should produce a lot of turnovers and help you win games.  But you can't let your opponent shoot 54% FG and you have a horrible shooting night. 

The other thing I need to start doing, is seeing our contested shot %.  I would assume that if you're contesting 50%+ of opponents shots, that's a good thing, even if they are making it.  In this game, the Hawks contested 35 out of 93 shots . . . 37.6% of shots.  

I need to start doing some random data collecting to see if that's a horrible contested shot %, or if that's closer to the NBA norm.  What might throw this off a little, is if 2 guys can get credited with a contest on one shot attempt.  If they stay consistent with how they do defended FGs, the answer to that is yes.  Still, it may show if guys are in the area when a shot is taken.

Speaking of contested shots, this is an area that Jalen Johnson excelled at, even if people were still scoring over him.  In the Cleveland game, no one on the Hawks had over 7 contested shots.  JJ and Clint are routinely in double digits when it comes to that category.

9 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

image.png.37bb2f6b79d510e91527b9785aaa991b.png

Leaving this here for discussion

I'm expecting Quin to fix this.  And not just by giving AJ spot minutes or trying to see if a 37 year old Wesley Matthews still has some rotation juice in the tank.

We're about to see how good of a coach this dude really is. Because other teams have survived injuries to major rotation pieces.

If we come out and flop against San Antonio tonight, all hell is going to break loose.

And with that game being in San Antonio, that is definitely a loseable game.

Only 3 home games between now and Christmas.  And Ja Morant will be back by the time the 23rd comes around.  Only easy game is vs Detroit.

image.png.791008662c371d8578e69788a2f35fde.png

If Quin doesn't fix this soon, this stretch has the potential to be catastrophic to the season, and have us trying to dig out of a huge hole . . . again.

I say watch December 15th.  Some player(s) might get left in Toronto, in exchange for a disgruntled T-Dot player.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

In this game, the Hawks contested 35 out of 93 shots . . . 37.6% of shots.  

That's sounds really bad. It would be interesting to see what the average NBA norm is though.

I'm also assuming giving up ORebs might have something to do with that.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I say watch December 15th.  Some player(s) might get left in Toronto, in exchange for a disgruntled T-Dot player.

December 15th is also the day, most players that signed offseadon extensions as FAs become trade eligible.