• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can the Hawks get Wiseman on the cheap?

FL_BRYANT

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Looks like Wiseman is out of Detroit's rotation.  Can he be had for a second or two? Twenty two years old. Plenty of time to develop, plus he give us some much needed size and offensive presence in the paint.  That is if he ever received a pass.

What does he do well? Anything?

He's making $12 mil, so what's the trade?

• Thanks 1

Has there been a top 5 pick in the past 20 years who completely sucked or rarely played during their rookie scale contract and then came back to have a good career?  I can't think of one.  I think it's telling when a top 5 pick can't seem to get on the court... the drafting team has every incentive to help them be productive... in these situations, I'm willing to bet they either can't play, can't stay healthy, or don't have the drive to be the best that they can be.  Keep in mind that covid hit hard during Wiseman's class, so teams had precious little information to evaluate those players, which creates even more unpredictability with projecting those guys.  I sure as hell don't think a team that's trying to compete should shell out $12 million for the very slim chance that Wiseman is the exception to the rule.  Easy pass for me.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

Has there been a top 5 pick in the past 20 years who completely sucked or rarely played during their rookie scale contract and then came back to have a good career?  I can't think of one.  I think it's telling when a top 5 pick can't seem to get on the court... the drafting team has every incentive to help them be productive... in these situations, I'm willing to bet they either can't play, can't stay healthy, or don't have the drive to be the best that they can be.  Keep in mind that covid hit hard during Wiseman's class, so teams had precious little information to evaluate those players, which creates even more unpredictability with projecting those guys.  I sure as hell don't think a team that's trying to compete should shell out $12 million for the very slim chance that Wiseman is the exception to the rule.  Easy pass for me.

He was drafted by the Golden State Warriors.   They were in the midst of the dynasty chase when they picked him up.   They had no need for a player that they needed to develop.   He came out of college with less than 1 year of time spent on the court.  He should have stayed another year but the draw for money called.  If they tell you that you will be a top 5 pick, do you stay?  His measurables are better than any of those top 5 picks that you have talked about.   He's no Darko.   He's no Bargnani.    

Right now.. He could be Kwame Brown... or he could be Tyson Chandler...    Or he could be Cody Zeller or he could be Marvin Bagley III.  By the way, MBIII is the answer to your trivia question.   Point is... you won't know what he is until somebody takes the time to develop him.   When given the chance to play last season...

image.png

This is what he was able to string together.  It's not bad.  I mean, 22 and 13 against Bam... on 10 of 13 shooting is not bad...  However, Jalen Duren is just better. 

Still in that game, it's evident who the best big on the floor was...

image.png

So he's not total trash...

But he needs work.  If we can get him for a 2nd and maybe our BU PG who doesn't play...  I say let's do it. 

• Like 4

No what we have is trash with little upside. We are not going to win with Capela, OO, and especially Bruno . If you can get him cheap why not. Where else can we get a big especially cheap. If the League knows something about him then move on, but we can't make it around the corner with our current bigs no less than a championship or division final. The only one who think the Hawks are good are homers who live in Atlanta. The league for sure doesn't !!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phunkabilly said:

What are the Hawks competing for. A 500 record maybe the play in. Let's get realistic about this team. We have't did anything to improve the roster since last year. So why should I expect more.I hate to say it but we're average at best.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

No what we have is trash with little upside. We are not going to win with Capela, OO, and especially Bruno . If you can get him cheap why not. Where else can we get a big especially cheap. If the League knows something about him then move on, but we can't make it around the corner with our current bigs no less than a championship or division final. The only one who think the Hawks are good are homers who live in Atlanta. The league for sure doesn't !!!

I'm not there in my thinking either.

I think we have a good C rotation.  I look at Wiseman as a Shot.  If you develop this guy, you have a real 7 foot 240 lb big man who can matchup with other bigs (in the future).   Is he better than Bruno... Bruno is 6'9, 240....  He's a good guy but hasn't produced much.   We're talking about somebody thats's a true 7 footer... with wingspan.   Like I said, his measurables alone suggests that if you can get him for a player and a 2nd.. you reach out. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

What do you consider cheap considering you have to match $12 million in salary? Who are you trading to match the salaries?

Hawks are $9 million under the Luxury, they aren't going to exceed it for Wiseman.

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

I'm not there in my thinking either.

I think we have a good C rotation.  I look at Wiseman as a Shot.  If you develop this guy, you have a real 7 foot 240 lb big man who can matchup with other bigs (in the future).   Is he better than Bruno... Bruno is 6'9, 240....  He's a good guy but hasn't produced much.   We're talking about somebody thats's a true 7 footer... with wingspan.   Like I said, his measurables alone suggests that if you can get him for a player and a 2nd.. you reach out. 

If we are giving him 'a shot' to develop it's at Bruno's spot. But as I noted about its $12 million we need to match.

• Like 2

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What do you consider cheap considering you have to match $12 million in salary? Who are you trading to match the salaries?

The salary impact is what totally kills this for me.  You can definitely convince me that the Hawks might drop someone from the end of their roster and stick Wiseman in his place as a replacement in a league without salary implications.  But for a team that gave JC away this offseason to unload his salary, I don't believe for a second they will consider adding Wiseman and blowing up that salary situation.  Then you are into matching salary scenarios I don't see enough fat on the team that there is a $12M match worth of salary to swap for him that makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 10/29/2023 at 10:34 AM, NBASupes said:

Wiseman is terrible. He didn't develop and he sucked as a prospect 

This! I said OO> Wiseman then and was afraid the Warriors would trade down and get OO, could you imagine OO under Draymond, thank God that didn’t happen omg 😳 I would have puked 🤢 every night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 10/30/2023 at 9:54 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks are $9 million under the Luxury, they aren't going to exceed it for Wiseman.

If we are giving him 'a shot' to develop it's at Bruno's spot. But as I noted about its $12 million we need to match.

image.png

This is the trade I would consider.   That 2nd rounder is protected. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 10/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, AHF said:

The salary impact is what totally kills this for me.  You can definitely convince me that the Hawks might drop someone from the end of their roster and stick Wiseman in his place as a replacement in a league without salary implications.  But for a team that gave JC away this offseason to unload his salary, I don't believe for a second they will consider adding Wiseman and blowing up that salary situation.  Then you are into matching salary scenarios I don't see enough fat on the team that there is a $12M match worth of salary to swap for him that makes sense.

Being that he's in the last year of his contract, that 12 Million dollars would actually be an unloading at the end of the season.  So you get a free look and you get to unload 12 if he doesn't work out. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

image.png

This is the trade I would consider.   That 2nd rounder is protected. 

Now we have Trae out potentially so i'm thinking we see Patty tonight.  I think long term Patty will be more important than a flyer on Wiseman.   Although i do agree that we may need a 3rd center before it's all done unless Bruno is better than i think he is.  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Being that he's in the last year of his contract, that 12 Million dollars would actually be an unloading at the end of the season.  So you get a free look and you get to unload 12 if he doesn't work out. 

It isn’t free if it means we pay the tax this year and give up a good player to match salaries.

• Like 1