• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

25 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

IMO, they should be prioritizing players over picks.

If this is your opinion then you are in luck with this particular deal 

25 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

🤞Please be NOP! Please be NOP! Please be NOP! 🙏

Not the team I’m talking about in this update

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'm going out on a limb and say fans are going to be disappointed and any trades we make will be "about the future" not this season.  

I hope that isn't the case but "about the future" has to mean something different than "become terrible by trading away players and getting picks in return" because without your own picks you don't have a real future for the next few years by that route unless you can flip those assets for a big player in another deal.  The picks you will get are from teams expecting to be in the playoffs (so somewhere in the 15-30 range) and the time horizon to prove to Trae that you are still trying to win is much shorter than a rebuild permits.  There are always a few players in every draft taken outside of the lottery who are quickly relevant players but not a lot.

For 2023, out of the 44 non-lottery selections you've got JJJ in Miami taken at #18 and that is it.

For 2022, out of the 46 non-lottery selections you've got Walker Kessler taken at #22 in Utah (whose demotion to the bench coincides with Utah playing better), Mark Williams in Charlotte (taken right at #15 so not available to most teams) and then are down to one or two role players like Tari Eason who has been a nice bench big in Houston.

This is what we talk about when we talk about expected values for players picked in the 20 something range in the draft.  It is a longshot bet to expect these guys to be major contributors their first two seasons.  Most draftees take time to marinate before they can play significant roles on winning teams.  Tanking this season is not the end of the world only if you have a plan that puts you back in the playoffs next season.  (Like ending up with the #8 lottery pick this year and flipping that and other assets for a star in the offseason works but praying that the #24 pick will net you a starter next year is a low % gamble with big consequences.)

So please keep the right time horizon in mind when evaluating our options, Landry Fields. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'll give the Hawks a pass on this one.  Nothing we could have done other than trade for OG which i think we should have done.

Same after a while I was lower on Siak and higher on my ole boy OG. 

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'll give the Hawks a pass on this one.  Nothing we could have done other than trade for OG which i think we should have done.

Yeah definitely won’t complete with 3 FRPs and a solid player.. this was the Pacers “Murray” trade

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Finally the Siakam saga is done.. good riddance 

Basically that is more expensive than the Murray trade so I don’t wanna see sh** from some posters here about overspending to the spurs

Protections on the two Indy picks will determine what the actual value is.  But if they're unprotected, then I would agree with you... I would be extremely surprised if that's the case though.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If this is your opinion then you are in luck with this particular deal 

When you trade for NBA players you know what they have already done as NBA players.  Draft picks are a crap shoot.  You never know who or what you are going to get.  Could be a star.  Could be a dud.  Then, instead of having a player now, which you get when you trade for players, you must wait until that future draft and gamble that you make the correct choice.

:smug:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

Protections on the two Indy picks will determine what the actual value is.  But if they're unprotected, then I would agree with you... I would be extremely surprised if that's the case though.

Don’t think the Pacers own are protected

5 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

That's crazy value for an expiring Siakam if that's the case, and looks like Masai was right to hold onto him for as long as he did.  Also glad the Hawks didn't end up with him... that's a way heftier price than I would be willing to pay.

It’s an extremely risky investment if he walks away this summer.

• Like 1

Just now, Hawkish said:

I think Golden State makes an intriguing trade partner. 

Most people here don’t so I hope it’s another team 

Just now, NBASupes said:

It's hard to get mad at the Hawks especially if these players don't want to be in Atlanta 

Hopefully this is just in regards to only Siakam