• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

59 minutes ago, Sothron said:

So @Spud2nique I meant to ask you earlier but quoting wasn't working for me:

Why do you have a problem with Bufkin? He's dominated the G league and the one time he got actual minutes he looked pretty good.

Well, he plays a bit like DLo to me and that’s not great for me. DLo puts up numbers put seems to be robotic and give it right back on the other end.

I was off on JJ and hope I’m off on this dude too. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Well, he plays a bit like DLo to me and that’s not great for me. DLo puts up numbers put seems to be robotic and give it right back on the other end.

I was off on JJ and hope I’m off on this dude too. 

Kobe is going to take time but D'lo was way better than this offensively at the same stage. 

On 2/21/2024 at 2:24 AM, Sothron said:

Its been mentioned in public our scouting department and the FO loved Kobe Bufkin and were surprised he was there for us to draft.

I hope they love Edey! I’d love for the team to get him next to Trae.

On 2/21/2024 at 10:04 AM, Mikey said:

It’s kinda funny Edey of all players got a thread on here. I guess maybe warranted cause he’ll be national player of year again but there’s zero inclination the hawks even consider this guy. 

I think it shows that we have some true basketball fans with a lot of knowledge on the board whether it’s considered opinionated or not.

Not saying supes or any other poster is right about their every post or idea but naming a prospect who you feel is great fit but not high on the draft boards and making good valid reasons why is why the Squawk is special.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JTB said:

I think it shows that we have some true basketball fans with a lot of knowledge on the board whether it’s considered opinionated or not.

Not saying supes or any other poster is right about their every post or idea but naming a prospect who you feel is great fit but not high on the draft boards and making good valid reasons why is why the Squawk is special.

One thing we have grown over the years is draft conversations. The disrespect as gone to nil. Maturity is at all time high. I know @AHF is proud to see that. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Thats the saving grace for Flip. I really think he's a 4 at the next level. He can't protect the paint to save his life but he can block shots and switch. He's like a better JC without the PnR and movement stuff which doesn't matter as much if you aren't a 5 and you don't have a heliocentric guy like Trae. 

My issue with Flip is his best position is the same as JJ and JJ is better and will continue to be better 

He's 100% a 4 at the next level imo. Don't really see a problem with them making their forwards Jalen and Flip moving forward. Yeah Jalen is probably a better 4 but having two forwards with this size and versatility around Trae is probably the approach they have to take. He fits nicely with O and Jalen so if it works it works

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

He's 100% a 4 at the next level imo. Don't really see a problem with them making their forwards Jalen and Flip moving forward. Yeah Jalen is probably a better 4 but having two forwards with this size and versatility around Trae is probably the approach they have to take. He fits nicely with O and Jalen so if it works it works

Flip is likely a lottery pick. Do you draft a Flip knowing you have a JJ. Idk. Maybe we do. At the end of the day. A 7ft shooting big who can switch and block some shots is something that will help ANY team including ours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Flip is likely a lottery pick. Do you draft a Flip knowing you have a JJ. Idk. Maybe we do. At the end of the day. A 7ft shooting big who can switch and block some shots is something that will help ANY team including ours. 

Particularly considering that we do not currently have a capable back up four and need to replace Capela at the five.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

True. 

Plus, someone in the front office loves Duke players.  If they could have, they would have drafted Derek Lively last year.  They will take Flip and McCain this year.  LOL

Edited by KB21
  • Like 2

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Plus, someone in the front office loves Duke players.  If they could have, they would have drafted Derek Lively last year.  They will take Flip and McCain this year.  LOL

Wish we had gotten Lively (still hoping for Kobe but Lively would have really filled a need).

From what I read, there are very few great draft picks coming in the next draft.  There are many pretty good NBA players available, however, and currently the Hawks have two coming their way.  

Right now, for the money, Bruno is better than Capela.  Atlanta needs size.  I'm hoping we draft two big old boys.

Question:  Do we have a second-round pick or has it already been traded away in the Bey deal?

🤔

• Like 1

So, here is my question.  Is a drop style defense that is designed to protect the pain Quin's preferred defensive style?  That's the style we played under Budenholzer, and that's the defensive style he played when he won a championship in Milwaukee.  Quin played this style with Rudy Gobert in Utah.  

If this is the case, then Zach Edey and Donovan Clingan may be better fits than I initially thought.  If we aren't going to be a switch heavy defense, instead opting to drop the big into the paint to protect the pain, those two fit that style.  

If you build that way though, they have to get better on the ball defenders at the 2-4 positions.  Maybe you have the future 2 in Bufkin, as he looks pretty good on defense.  Hunter has always been a good defender.  Availability is his issue.  Jalen is getting better but learning.  I don't foresee any change there though.  Quin has talked in the past about how his length could give the Hawks what the TWolves get from McDaniels.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KB21 said:

So, here is my question.  Is a drop style defense that is designed to protect the pain Quin's preferred defensive style?  That's the style we played under Budenholzer, and that's the defensive style he played when he won a championship in Milwaukee.  Quin played this style with Rudy Gobert in Utah.  

If this is the case, then Zach Edey and Donovan Clingan may be better fits than I initially thought.  If we aren't going to be a switch heavy defense, instead opting to drop the big into the paint to protect the pain, those two fit that style.  

If you build that way though, they have to get better on the ball defenders at the 2-4 positions.  Maybe you have the future 2 in Bufkin, as he looks pretty good on defense.  Hunter has always been a good defender.  Availability is his issue.  Jalen is getting better but learning.  I don't foresee any change there though.  Quin has talked in the past about how his length could give the Hawks what the TWolves get from McDaniels.  

That's exactly the style Utah played under Quin. Bud didn't play that style here as he had Horford but he did with Lopez. Shit, it turned Lopez's entire career around. He was looking at being a vet min guy for many years to come till that happened. 

We should be a drop coverage team. This switching shit don't work for us and we have had our most success in drop coverage with OO and Capela. OO gets lost too much switching. 

Bufkin looks like a legit defender. Obviously Bey isn't but Hunter is. JJ is a WIP and I think he will eventually get there as a 4. As of right now, the 5 is our weakness, especially offensively. 

• Like 3

On 2/23/2024 at 2:41 PM, KB21 said:

Particularly considering that we do not currently have a capable back up four and need to replace Capela at the five.  

Gueye could possibly be our backup 4..

Glad he's at CP..

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Drop coverage should be our primary defense. 

With the team being DOA this season I've been watching more college bball.

This draft is not as weak as people think it is. It lacks the one or two WOW! prospects  you get in most drafts but there's real talent in this draft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Sothron said:

This draft is not as weak as people think it is. It lacks the one or two WOW! prospects  you get in most drafts but there's real talent in this draft.

The challenge with it is identifying the players that will really pop.  Lots of guys who look like they have potentially to be very good NBA players but only a fraction actually will get there.  Which ones?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

The challenge with it is identifying the players that will really pop.  Lots of guys who look like they have potentially to be very good NBA players but only a fraction actually will get there.  Which ones?

All GMs will be making an educated guess on every drafted player.  Which ones will shine?  Only time will tell!

:smug: