• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Gasol played in the modern era and won DPOY and a Finals ring. Do better. 

He was DPOY in 2013.  That was not the modern era.  Idiots were still taking Jahlil Okafor types high back then.  

37 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Dude...his draft profile (how those evaluators saw him at the time) was worse than Edey's.  You've said repeatedly NBA evaluators but those guys are stupendously wrong and often....see their evaluations on Mo Bamba vs Jokic

image.png.91b82e86c4d2336e6140ab398bfbc6ba.png

image.png.ddf940d3ca762faf0ab91c2fdb0924fd.png

Yes, your highly touted expert evaluators put him that much higher than Jokic.

These jokers (pun intended) are wrong all the time (as are we).  But dude you can't lay your entire case on your highly slanted eye test and random evaluators, just as I can't lay all my cards on stats and size but there comes a point where you have to say.....you know what, he's such a freak, I could be wrong.  There are going to be a number of teams that regret not grabbing him. 10 years ago, he would have been the consensus #1 overall pick without question. The only thing stopping that today is the love affair with the 3 ball.  If Gobert isn't exposed in the playoffs a few years ago guarding the 3 point line a few years ago, I think he'd still be the consensus top pick.

But points per possession has got to account for something and the guy is a near guaranteed bucket and rebound. That still matters, especially in the playoffs where the halfcourt game becomes even more important.

Re evaluation 

Jokic

Athleticism 

6 to 8, his stamina and movement skills are massively underrated. 

Size

9 to 10

He's 280 now and it shows. He's too big for anyone to guard. 

Defense

7 To 9 

Mental acuity is critical in the modern NBA. 

Strength

7 To 10

he was 250 and now 280. He is a lot stronger.

Quickness

6 no change 

Leadership

7 to 10

this was a massive miss.

Jump Shot

7 to 8

It's better than projected but not special.

NBA Ready

8 to 10

Best rookie WAR OF ALL TIME 

Rebounding

7 to 9

They undestimated his work rate

Potential

7 to 10

Everything underestimated

Post Skills

7 to 10

Miss

Intangibles

7 to 10

Miss

Jokic grade 110 right now

Bamba is probably a 85 right now
image.png.91b82e86c4d2336e6140ab398bfbc6ba.png

image.png.ddf940d3ca762faf0ab91c2fdb0924fd.png

5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Phased out? He was making All Star teams at 35, and was starting games up until his age 37 season lol. 

Preach

Posted (edited)

Edey grades from nbadraft.net - Supes

Birthday

03/14/02 (22.2 yrs)

Hometown

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

High School

IMG Academy

Team Site Profile

Team Site Profile

Athleticism

6 - 8

2nd biggest gap is athleticism. I think he's a freak athlete for his size plus his movement and stamina. I think he's massively underrated here. 

Size

10 - 10

Defense

7 - 7

Strength

9 - 9

Quickness

5 - 5

Leadership

8 - 8

Jump Shot

7 - 7

NBA Ready

8 - 9

Rebounding

8 - 9

Potential

6 - 7

Post Skills

8 -8

Intangibles

7 - 10

This is where I differ the most. I think his mental acuity, off ball play, and his mental aspects are off the charts. 

nbadraft.net Grade 89 

Supes Grade 97

Edited by NBASupes

You have a better chance of convincing me that you can make meat from plants than you do of convincing me that Edey will be anything more than a situational reserve in the NBA.   

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

You have a better chance of convincing me that you can make meat from plants than you do of convincing me that Edey will be anything more than a situational reserve in the NBA.   

I mean, they do do that nowadays. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Edey is in my top 10. He had a very strong combine. I think he frankly shocked a lot of NBA folks with how high his athletic ability actually tested. When you consider his height and size to go with that ability and his skill set...he's going to be a problem for folks in the NBA.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I don't care if it at 1 or move down, Edey is the best player on the board. 

Hell no...At one is laughable af. I get it..go to your grave for him but no way on hell is Edey the best player in this draft.  We'll see Supes..but that shyt you hittin..I want some.  Give me the plug.  Wtf 

IMG_4296.gif

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

Hell no...At one is laughable af. I get it..go to your grave for him but no way on hell is Edey the best player in this draft.  We'll see Supes..but that shyt you hittin..I want some.  Give me the plug.  Wtf 

IMG_4296.gif

How you gonna ask me a question and then question my answer. Yes, he's the best prospect in this draft. No, I don't believe this draft has anyone I would consider your normal top 10 pick. Even Risacher at his best to me is Shane Battier Type and that's my #2 best prospect. I just find this class to be extremely weak to the point I think a day 1 6th man is the best prospect. 

Risacher is the only one i see as a starter day 1 and that's as a 5th option. This draft is filled with College Park athletes. 

7 hours ago, Sothron said:

Edey is in my top 10. He had a very strong combine. I think he frankly shocked a lot of NBA folks with how high his athletic ability actually tested. When you consider his height and size to go with that ability and his skill set...he's going to be a problem for folks in the NBA.

So I just learned that Edey outperformed Clingan at the draft combine in lane agility time, three-quarter sprint, & max vertical leap.

So let me get this straight…Edey the 2 time college player of the year just showcased better mobility than Clingan and is still not top 10 by folks in the nba draft?!!

After seeing these results I’m going to have to rebuke my all in for Sarr. We have to make sure we are doing the best thing for us and if that’s Edey at #1 then so be it.

i am not having a hard time understanding how Edey hasn’t moved up in ths top 10. He may be the most fluid 7’4 guy in nba history with power.

i think I’m back on Edey train. He can help us right now!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTB said:

So I just learned that Edey outperformed Clingan at the draft combine in lane agility time, three-quarter sprint, & max vertical leap.

So let me get this straight…Edey the 2 time college player of the year just showcased better mobility than Clingan and is still not top 10 by folks in the nba draft?!!

After seeing these results I’m going to have to rebuke my all in for Sarr. We have to make sure we are doing the best thing for us and if that’s Edey at #1 then so be it.

i am not having a hard time understanding how Edey hasn’t moved up in ths top 10. He may be the most fluid 7’4 guy in nba history with power.

i think I’m back on Edey train. He can help us right now!

Help us how?   He instantly limits us and makes us worse defensively.  He limits us offensively because he lacks perimeter skills.  

He’s not even remotely close to being drafted in the lottery, much less be the #1 overall pick.  

What a f***ing joke!  I’ve never seen so much desire for a guy who will be drafted in the 20s and at best is a situational sub.  

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

Am I the only one who is slightly concerned with the testing? 

Sure, he didn't get hurt at Purdue, but he didn't play this level of "athletic" basketball. Evidenced by the fact everyone was shocked lol. 

It's the one thing that I don't think gets talked about. If you increase the athletic requirement(which I think is fair to assume. It's the NBA).... He's 7'6" and huge. That almost never works health wise in the NBA. When paired with big minutes. 

Every time we see a big THIS big, everyone criticizes his ability to hold up long term. It's a bit odd that this one gets a pass. 

5 minutes ago, Afro said:

Sure, he didn't get hurt at Purdue, but he didn't play this level of "athletic" basketball. Evidenced by the fact everyone was shocked lol. 

It's the one thing that I don't think gets talked about. If you increase the athletic requirement(which I think is fair to assume. It's the NBA).... He's 7'6" and huge. That almost never works health wise in the NBA. When paired with big minutes. 

Every time we see a big THIS big, everyone criticizes his ability to hold up long term. It's a bit odd that this one gets a pass. 

One of my BIG questions with Wemby and Chet Holmgren.  No history of their build type holding up.  In my mind it may take 5 or 6 years, but it will happen. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Afro said:

It's really not a shock. When you actually time his movements. The numbers beat out our guys not named OO who has the same gap in size as the gap between Trae and JJ between him and Edey. 

Just because it doesn't look fast doesn't mean it's slow. Sometimes, speed isn't what you think. Bolt is the fastest man in the world but his legs didn't look like it moved as fast as the others because he's 6'5 but he was moving faster than them. 

Sometimes, you gotta take the I think out of it and just start doing the science aka the tracking. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Afro said:

No.  You aren’t the only one.  He also isn’t rising up the draft boards because of his workout.   Most of the evaluators I follow made fun of him because of how uncoordinated he looked when working out.  

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

No.  You aren’t the only one.  He also isn’t rising up the draft boards because of his workout.   Most of the evaluators I follow made fun of him because of how uncoordinated he looked when working out.  

Bro, you gotta stop acting like draftniks online are teams with actual resources. Those are guys are some have top 10 projections on him as Givony has stated on ESPN in their recent article.