• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Superbowl- Pats vs Eagles

cyman3

which team will u guys be rooting for?

which team do u think will win (prediction)?

i honestly, like many here, wanted ATLANTA to beat Philly... but now that ATL lost, im happy for McNabb. He finally WINS the NFC championship game.

i think PATS will win, but im going to be rooting for PHILLY.

watching T.O. dance and celebrate, it seems like he can play. i guess time will tell.

I pick the Pats. I don't care for TO.

I think the biggest difference in this game was the offensive line play. McNabb had all day to throw. Even when we got pressure, he had enough room to run to get away. The pocket just collapsed on Vick. That probably has something to do with the fact that they could man up on the receivers without fearing long pass.

I think the Falcons have a lot of problems. The secondary is suspect and isn't deep at all. The injury to Mathis hurt us. The offensive line plays well for their talent level, but they are miserable at pass blocking. I can't figure out whether Vick just can't find his receivers or they just can't get open. I think it's a combination of the two.

So, I would like to see some work put into the center/guard position. Acquiring a big receiver is going to be difficult, but there are some FA's at WR that could be interesting. Mushin Muhammed is a FA, but he will cost a bundle, and I would be surprised if we have the room with Price making so much.

I guess I don't really understand the NFL. I can't fathom how teams like Philly and Tampa Bay can stock the defense and offensive line with pro bowlers and still fit under the cap.

• Premium Member

Watching the game, I think the play calling was a bit suspect.

We're going into the wind and we're trying to throw the ball downfield? First off, we should have set the tone in this game with our running game while going against the wind. I mean we had the best running game in the NFL right?

Secondly, Vick has to get out of the notion that the only person he can throw to is Crump... Our best offensive series was before the half when we had the win at our backs and he threw the ball to Price, to Crump, and then gave the ball to Dunn.

I honestly think that Duckett didn't get enough carries. He's a punishing back. Even if he only gets two yards, you give it to him again. In the second half, the Philly defensive line were worn. That's the time when you can start to use Vick's feet as well as Dunn's speed.

I think Gibb has done an excellent job with our offensive line. Their not the strongest bunch of guys but they know how to get the job done. I just believe that we went out trying to prove that Vick can throw... That's not our game. Our game is cram the ball down your throw and if we have to throw to the TE...

i saw a thread featuring "falcons problems" coming.

heres my opinion

- The Mathis injury really did hurt us. McNabb knew his team had the advantage throwing against the Mathis replacement, Morton. 9/10 times, the Eagles will win that matchup. Morton is a rookie and a last minute pickup. Last minute plans never work out well.

- NFC CHAMPIONSHIP- PRO BOWLERS must step up!

Dont get me wrong. Our PRO BOWLERS werent horrible. However, The EAGLES PROBOWLERS outplayed our PROBOWLERS.

- The DEEP-BALL. I felt like that was our biggest weakness throughout the season- the ability to throw the deep ball and the ability to defend the deep ball. In order for us to become a real COMPLETE TEAM, we must be able to make plays throwing the deepball. if we dont, the defense will focus 90% of its attention within 5 yards of Vick and Dunn/Duckett.

- After all is said and done, i feel like this was a big learning experience for our team. i think our season was a HUGE SUCCESS if u put everything into consideration. Lets add more talent via FA + DRAFT and get back to the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game next year! hopefully it wont take us 4 tries to win it.

• Admin

We just made too many small mistakes. They were capped by the Int at the start of the 3rd. We were right there until then, putting lots of pressure on them. Small mistakes from a rookie playoff team and coach.

1. We should have given duckett 2 shots at the end zone when we had that shot at the first TD. The gave it to him once, he got back to the line. Then they went for all these cutsey plays and ended up having to take the FG.

2. We didn't stay with the run enough. They never showed they could consistantly stop our run. We marched the length of the field twice using the run. But tried to win it with more of those cutsey passes.

3. Not enough Vick. Despite all the ballyhoo about Kearse and Trotter, Their D-line never showed that they could consistantly rush Vick. Time after time he had plenty of opportunities to make something happen and would end up doing..nothing. It's one thing to be sacked...it's another thing to be sacked after you've had 8 seconds in the pocket to make a decision. Those are the situations where he should tuck and run, not try to be Brett Favre.

Still though, it wasn't a total disappointment. We are a young team with young players who are locked up for several years. There's no reason we shouldn't be right back in the same position again next season.

Personally I hope the Eagles destroy the Patriots, so I won't have to hear Brady for the hall of fame until next season again. I could only imagine what Mike Vick could do if he had half of the time to throw the ball that Brady has. New England has good players where it counts. The have a very good offensive line and a defense that plays discipline.

Put Brady on the falcons and I gurantee they wouldn't sniff the playoffs. Hopefully the Falcons will try their best to get more difference makers/ playmakers on defense and offense for next season. We need them bad.

Quote:

I could only imagine what Mike Vick could do if he had half of the time to throw the ball that Brady has.

It's not always that easy. And remember, the Pats didn't

have a good RB prior to this season so Brady didn't have

a back even as good as Warrick Dunn. I mean, Antwan Smith?

He and his 600 rushing yards. Brady hasn't had the greatest

supporting cast for the two titles either. Didn't alot of

these guys play with Bledsoe? There was no title then.

Vick might not always have as much time to throw... But

he still makes alot more mental mistakes than Tom Brady

makes.

Brady is one of the best I've ever seen both in big games and when the game is on the line and if he wins his 3rd Super Bowl, the HOF talk SHOULD begin. Sure he has a VERY talented team around him but Bledsoe couldn't get that team over the hump. The throws and reads Brady made against Pittsburgh's #1 D last night were simply phenomenal. A lot of QBs have the tools to make those same throws but he does it CONSISTENTLY under pressure. As for him not being able to get the Falcons into the playoffs, I STRONGLY disagree. Our O-Line needs a lot of work but if Shaub can have a reasonable amount of success moving this team, Brady would have been able to at least get us to the playoffs. In my opinion, Brady is the best in the business right now all things considered. Manning is a "pretty" QB with gaudy numbers but I think Brady is the better player.

All of the above being said, I LOVE Vick and I wouldn't trade him for ANYBODY. Vick is only 24 and has already led a team with a lot of talent deficiencies to the NFC Championship Game. As McKay puts more talent around him and as he gains more experience, I think he has the potential to be everything that Brady is and more.

Uh last time I checked Schaub had terrible games when he started, and the receivers didnt make any catches then also. It may not be that easy hotlanta, but people act like Vick can't hit the broad side of a barn. If the truth be told if he had enough time he can make the throws. He doensn't even get a chance to set his feet half the time.

I watched that championship game and not once did I see a wide receiver as open as some as the patriots receivers. Brady is very good, but I would take his offensive line over any in the league. When I look at championship teams in NFL history I see one consistent thing. Good offensive line play and good defense.

This is what I give tom Brady credit for, making good reads and making the throws. I give Weiss the credit for getting those WR's open all the dang time.

To say that the Patriots didn't have talent is laughable. I wish the Falcons could be as poorly talented as their team. Rather you like it or not Vick has neve had a supporting cast have as good as Brady's.

It's all good I expect with McKay we may get some talent now and one day we will see what Vick can truly do.

Yes Bledsoe did have the some of the same players, but he never had a defense near as dominate as the patriots do now.

If the Eagles find a way to get pressure on Brady they will win the game plain and simple. If they don't they will lose like everyone else.

Brady may not have the numbers that Mcnabb, Peyton etc.. have but there is not a quarterback in the league I'd want over Brady if the game was on the line.

Brady gets no respect and this board is proof. No, he isn't the best quarterback in the game but considering he has proven himself year after year your showing him a lot of disrespect. If Vick is so great he would have at leats made a game of it against the Eagles.

FYI the Patriots don't throw the ball as much since they got Corey Dillon.

Quote:

Personally I hope the Eagles destroy the Patriots, so I won't have to hear Brady for the hall of fame until next season again. I could only imagine what Mike Vick could do if he had half of the time to throw the ball that Brady has. New England has good players where it counts. The have a very good offensive line and a defense that plays discipline.

Put Brady on the falcons and I gurantee they wouldn't sniff the playoffs. Hopefully the Falcons will try their best to get more difference makers/ playmakers on defense and offense for next season. We need them bad.

Quote:

To say that the Patriots didn't have talent is laughable. I wish the Falcons could be as poorly talented as their team. Rather you like it or not Vick has neve had a supporting cast have as good as Brady's.

The Pats hada 600 yard back. Smith shouldn't even be in

the NFL to start with. The Pats running game was average

at best. Vick has Dunn and Crumpler who have both come

to be big options. Duckett also had alot of TD"s this

year. The thinking that the Pats have so much more

talent than the Falcons is incorrect. You also should

realize the Falcons played in the weak NFC this year.

They might have went 8-8 or 9-7 had they been in the

AFC at best. The Pats lost only 2 games in alot tougher

conference.

There is alot of factors. The Pats probably have smarter

players than the Falcons have... But they haven't been

much more talented the last 4 years.

First of all, Brady is a very good quarterback. I'm not sure he's the absolute best, but he's one of the top 3 right now.

Second, it's ludicrous to say that the Falcons have as much talent as the Pats. Listing Dunn and Crumpler just makes your argument look bad. Dunn is not a top tier back. He only gets his yards because of a terrific blocking scheme. The blocking, by the way, is only a product of Alex Gibbs coaching, and is a mark of overachievement by a small and mediocre O-Line which CANNOT pass block.

To say something like, 'maybe Vick doesn't get as much time to throw as Brady every time', shows that you guys (not you Hotlanta...I know you didn't say it) have not watched the Falcons. I have almost NEVER seen Vick get the time that Brady got or the time that McNabb got to find an open receiver. It's not like Vick gets Brady's time most of the time, but gets rushed on occasion. McNabb had 6 seconds on more than one play, and he didn't even have to shuffle his feet. He planted, looked around, and threw once someone got open. Vick gets mauled after less than 2 seconds on most plays.

I'm not even a Vick lover...I'm a Falcons fan through and through, but I criticize Vick plenty. You have to see his O-Line for what it is, though. It sucks at giving him pass protection.

To sum up, it sounds like one side doesn't think much of Brady and the other side doesn't think much of Vick, and both are making irrational arguments to tear the other down.

Quote:

Second, it's ludicrous to say that the Falcons have as much talent as the Pats. Listing Dunn and Crumpler just makes your argument look bad. Dunn is not a top tier back. He only gets his yards because of a terrific blocking scheme. The blocking, by the way, is only a product of Alex Gibbs coaching, and is a mark of overachievement by a small and mediocre O-Line which CANNOT pass block.

Whatever it is.... Warrick Dunn is still better by a

large margin over Antwan Smith.

Quote:

Crumpler just makes your argument look bad.

How many WR's of the Pats are Pro Bowlers?

The arguement is that the talent isn't as lopsided as

some are making it to be. Even if the Falcons have

less talent they are in the weaker conference as I

said.

Even wehn Vick has time he still doesn't understand

alot of times when to throw it hard and when to take

something off. It's mental and experience.

I don't hate Vick, but the top 5 QB's are....

Manning

Brady

McNabb

Culpepper

Farve

Some are going to not like me putting Farve at

number 5 but he still completed 65% of his passes

and threw for over 4,000 yards along with 30 TD's.

Vick os somewhere close after that.

Guys like Big Ben and Drew Brees have to be productive

a few more seasons like they were this year.

First of all I don't hate tom Brady I think he is a very good quarterback, but when people come and here say Vick can't do this he cant do that. They are making the fundamental attribution error. The falcons are not set up for him to be succesful in the passing game, and wihtout his unique talents they probably wouldn't be succesful in the running game or have as much success passing as they did this year. I'm sure another QB would have put up better passing stats, but only because he would of passed 30+ times a game. The numbers wouldn't have been pretty.

Once again to say Brady gets no respect is laughable, ESPN is already saying he is the greatest QB ever. If you can't see that Brady has a ton more time than most QB's to throw the ball then you just don't want to see it. I see him stand there in the pocket for 5-7 seconds then a perfect pocket forms around him, so he can step up and gain and extra 2 to 3 seconds. Yes he makes the throws, and yes he makes the reads, but 95% of the time he isn't forced to make them as fast is VicK is. I'm not a stat whore like most QB fans, so his lack of big numbers is not how im evaluating him as a QB.

Vick doesn't even get a pocket, most of the time his guards are being pushed back into his face.

The patriots don't have any pro bowl receivers, but they should. How many years did Hines Ward not make the pro bowl, but put up outstanding numbers? Pro Bowl is a popularity contest not, and thats why Keith Brooking is an all pro linebacker. (he may of had his best year ever this year though) Why did the Falcons Rod coleman not make the pro Bowl this year? No tackle put up better numbers than him.

The patriots receveir are not Terrel Owens, but they are receivers that know how to get open. Id take their receivers of Effortless Price any day. They run good routes and they don't drop passes. Basically they have a team of Terrence Mathis's. Weis provides a beautiful scheme that routinely gets the WR's wide open.

I have watched alot of football in my life on many levels and one thing is always consistent; if you give a quarterback time most of them can make the throws. I can remember playing against AJ suggs in high school when he was at McEachern, and we battled hard but in the end they were just better. However, at that time I knew he would never be a great quarterback because he was a product of a amazing offensive line. He almost always had 10-12 seconds to throw the ball.

You may not believe me, but if the Eagles do find away to get pressure on Brady I think they can win the game. Thats what the Steerlers did in the first game they played them, and what they couldn't do in the championship game. The pats live and die on their ability to protect a great QB in Brady. Look how pedestrian Manning looks at QB when patriots actually put pressure on him.

I agree with most of what you said.

How can somebody say Brady gets no respect when he's already being called by ESPN (who is probably the biggest bandwaggoning sports reporting network in history...always hugging nuts of the currently hot team) the greatest quarterback of all time???

How can what he's done in 4 years compare with what Montana did in 13 in a time when there were more dominant teams, so it was harder to rise so far above the competition. Now, there's more parity, and if a team assembles the right coaching staff and O-Line, they can run off a few SB appearances (see Denver, Dallas, Buffalo).

Also, no one should complain about Vick's passing without pointing out two things:

1) He has one of the 3 or 4 worst pass blocking O-Lines in the whole league. How else would the most elusive QB in history get sacked the most times?

2) His wide receiving unit is one of the 3 or 4 worst in the league. That route Peerless ran against the Eagles where he could've had a first down if he'd just come to the ball made me want to puke. That was a shining example of exactly what has made him a failure in Atlanta, and he got exposed for it on a national stage. I would rather cut him and absorb the cap hit. I used to think that it was admirable that he didn't complain about not getting the ball. Then, I realized that he just doesn't care because he's getting his money.

I'll say this, and one would be hard pressed to argue. The receivers we had in Dan Reeves scheme when Finneran was our leading pass catcher made Vick look 10 times better as a passer than he has this year. Vick didn't throw an interception for the first 10 games or something like that. The difference is that Finneran plays with fire, and the only reason he doesn't start is that Price is making too much money.

I'm not worried, though. McKay is a smart GM and he knows that the problems can be fixed in short order. I think it will take 2 offseasons to get the line and receiving corps fixed, but he'll get 'er done.

on Vick (at least by me). Brady IS better right now. Brady has been to 3 Super Bowls in 4 years (and will likely win all 3). Yes he has a LOT of talent around him and a great coach but he still has to do what he does or the team is just what they were when Bledsoe was there.

As for the Falcons receivers not getting open for Vick, I think that is somewhat true but not NEARLY as big a problem as many would have you believe. Peerless gets blamed for most of the Falcons receiving woes and saying he didn't play like a true #1 receiver is an understatement. Still, how in the heck did he catch THIRTEEN balls from Shaub in 1 and 1/2 games while he only caught 32 balls from Vick in 14 and 1/2 games? That can't be ALL Peerless' fault. It is difficult to see it on TV but I went to EVERY home game this year and there are times when Vick misses guys who have managed to get open. He also holds on to the ball too long on occasion and tries to make a big play rather than geting the ball to his outlet receiver when the defense has put him in a bad position. I can't tell you how many times Dunn was open in the flat and Vick chose to try to make a play himself rather than dumping it off. On many of those occasions, Vick was able to escape trouble and make the big play. On other occasions, he was not able to make the play and either got sacked or forced a bad throw. I think part of the problem is that he simply trusts himself to make a big play more than he does anyone else on the team. For the team to get better though, I think he needs to let other guys make plays too.

All of the above being said, Vick was INCREDIBLE this year considering that he is only 24, his offensive line is substandard, his receivers are average and this was his first year in a new offense. I have no doubt whatsoever that he will have a much better command of the offense next year and that he will be a much improved passer next season. He is too good and too competitive not to get better. He is only SIX MONTHS older than Eli Manning for goodness sakes! Give him the number of years that Brady, McNabb, Culpepper and Manning have had in their respective offenses and watch how great he is going to be. As I said before, I wouldn't trade him for ANY QB (or any player for that matter) in the entire NFL. He may not be the best yet but he will be in short order. Mora, Knapp and Steve Young said that it took Young 3 years to master this offense. I can't wait to see Vick tearing up the league in a couple of years and the great thing about it is that we will continue to win even BEFORE he completely masters it. Go Falcons!

• Admin

We are where the eagles were maybe five years ago. A young team with a stand-out QB whose talent isn't fully realized yet. The good thing is that at this point in his career, he's way better than Mcnabb was at the same point.

We've got a young team with lots of young, hungry players to build around and a All-pro QB who will do nothing but get better. All they have to do is keep improving and putting good players around him and the sky is the limit. To top it off HE (vick) is hungry too. He wants to get better and he wants to win. You combine that attitude with his natural talent and it's hard to put limits on just how far he can go.

....with better pass protection.

He would still take off and run when his first option isn't open. They guy can't read the field to save his life. He is not a passer, and until he becomes a better passer, Atlanta won't go very far. The only reason you went as far as you did this year is because the NFC is so weak.

Michael Vick is an overhyped, one trick pony that is a terrible passer.

If the Falcons were in the AFC, they would have won 6, maybe 7, games. The Eagles will get beat by New England by at least 10 points.