• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did you see BK?

Diesel

Quote:

He looked like he had been on a drinking binge for the last 3 days.. He looked nothing like the GM of a professional sports team.

That's because he shouldn't be the GM of a Pro sports team. But I'll cut him just a tad bit of slack because of everything that's going on right now. He has alot to deal with.

BK's personality bothers the crap out of me and I don't think he's a very good GM, and I WOULD like to see him replaced. But I don't envy his task due to the management/ownership issues that have plagued this team from even before he came in. It never ends.

First of all, he was hired by Babcock, right? How many people have survived from the Babcock days? Had to be a terrible transition.

Then the David McDavid nonsense.

Then Atlanta Spirit comes in to save the day, which was fool's gold. Somehow I believed that 9 guys from 3 different cities could form a single entity to control three different assets, even though as a whole they'd never done business together. YIKES. He's had a crappy gig as far as GM jobs go.

Remember this:

Regardless of how you feel about BK, the worst GM in Hawks history is PETE BABCOCK.

The Hawks are going through a horrible era, but at least there is a plan. I may disagree with BK's draft last year, but at least I see that he has a philosophy and is adhering to it. We should see this thing to its end. If BK's pieces are put into place and the Hawks still lose, then we can say it is time to replace him.

Quote:

Quote:

Regardless of how you feel about BK, the worst GM in Hawks history is PETE BABCOCK.

Babcock went to the playoffs from 92 to 99, won multiple division championships, and molded this team into one of the greatest teams defensively. BK has had the worst 3 year streach in Hawks history. Babcock had a terrible end, but BK hasn't done anything that would make me think he is any better than Babcock.

the only flaw in Babcock was that he could never draft ANYONE good.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Babcock went to the playoffs from 92 to 99, won multiple division championships, and molded this team into one of the greatest teams defensively. BK has had the worst 3 year streach in Hawks history. Babcock had a terrible end, but BK hasn't done anything that would make me think he is any better than Babcock.

the only flaw in Babcock was that he could never draft ANYONE good.

He has the worst drafting record of any GM in NBA history. He should thank heavens he inherited a playoff team with a franchise player in Nique. He then was fine at FA signings and trades.

[quote

Babcock had about as much to do with the 90's teams as BK has to do with the 00's teams. Babcock inherited the playoff team just as much as BK inherited the lottery team. And I think that given the same amount of patience and time, BK will bring us further along that Babcock did.

Babs was given a playoff team to start with when he came aboard in 1990 that was not far removed from having 4 consecutive 50-win seasons and one of the most exciting 7-game playoff series in NBA history. They only won one, count 'em, ONE division title (93-94) in his tenure and was dismissed by the Pacers in one of the most embarrassing second round series seen for a number one seed by getting blown out in three of the four losses. He was also the guy who orchestrated one of the worst trades in pro sports by sending a franchise player who carried an entire team on his back for more than a decade for a guy who didn't want to spend minute one in Hawk gear. In a potential championship season, no less. Would any other GM do something that stupid to alienate 3/4's of your fanbase. This team is STILL trying to find the next 'Nique while no one mentions the name Danny Manning. And do you really want to go there with the draft picks? I'm no fan of Childress or Williams but I've seen them score 10+ in a game before, which is FAR more than any draftee Babs have brought in whose name isn't Jason Terry. Not to mention that for the most part, Babs had the full support of the folks in charge, whether it was Kasten (who should bear the blame for enabling him), McGuirk, or even Turner while BK is still having to go through this ATL Spirit mess.

The only thing BK inherited was the mess that Babs had left. I for one don't think the world of him either (Deng/Paul or Childress/Williams anyone?) but considering what he had to work with compared to Babs, this isn't a contest; its a rout.

Quote:

Babcock had about as much to do with the 90's teams as BK has to do with the 00's teams. Babcock inherited the playoff team just as much as BK inherited the lottery team. And I think that given the same amount of patience and time, BK will bring us further along that Babcock did.

Actually after Nique was traded, Babcock had his fingerprints all over the team. He acquired Mookie, Steve Smith, and Mutumbo. That was a pretty good nucleus, but he screwed up pretty quick after he dismantled that nucleus.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Actually after Nique was traded, Babcock had his fingerprints all over the team. He acquired Mookie, Steve Smith, and Mutumbo. That was a pretty good nucleus, but he screwed up pretty quick after he dismantled that nucleus.

Babcock did a fine job maintaining a talented base for this team through trades and free agent acquisitions but ultimately undermined the team by drafting worse than anyone in NBA history. For example, look at the players you mentioned:

Mookie - Great trade acquisition for Rumeal Robinson

Smittie - Great trade acquisition for Kevin Willis

Dikembe - Great FA signing

He couldn't sustain the team once his trades started being counterproductive because there was no infusion of drafted talent (Smith for Rider/Jackson; #3 for Shareef; #8 for Big Dog; etc.)

Quote:

Babcock draft DION GLOVER for God's sake.

The said thing is that's one of Babcock's best draft picks of all time. I defy you to think up 2-3 of his picks that were better than him.

Remember when Glover was mad at the Hawks because he wasn't getting $$paid$$. Too bad no other team in the NBA felt he should get paid either.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Babcock draft DION GLOVER for God's sake.

The said thing is that's one of Babcock's best draft picks of all time. I defy you to think up 2-3 of his picks that were better than him.

This depends on how you define a good pick, but the following players were better than Glover. The ones with an * I think were better based on where they were selected in the draft:

Kevin Willis*

Jon Koncak

Adam Keefe

Jason Terry*

Jumaine Jones*

Stacey Augman

Dan Dickau*

Very sad.

Kasten drafted Kevin Willis, not Babcock. Not only couldn't he draft an All-Star (nor could anyone else; Willis is STILL the last drafted All-Star for the Hawks from the class of 1984), but JT is the only one with a career average CLOSE TO DOUBLE FIGURES. In fact, the guys Babs brought in weren't even close to All-Star caliber. Can you imagine how bad of shape this franchise would be in if he didn't make the occasional good trade or two? That explains why there wasn't any depth at all on any of those teams and also why Mookie, Smitty, and Co. had to play 35-40 minutes a night to have a chance at winning and eventually broke down once the real season began in April.