• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Iverson to Atlanta?

TheDude

a guy on the falcons messageboard posted this message:

"On both 790 and 680 on my way home this is what they were talking about. Reportedly Allen Iverson is interested in playing for the Hawks, which may get me to finally view an NBA game featuring the Atlanta Hawks.

Allen Iverson is 100% out of Philly, everyone knows this, including him. I personally think that acquiring AI would be the greatest move in Hawks history and would FINALLY, FINALLY give Atlanta basketball fans a superstar they've been lacking since Nique.

When asked why Atlanta he said because he's got a lot of friends that live here, including Ludacris, Alge Crumpler, and Michael Vick and that they are a young team that needs veteran leadership. "

now this is someone else's post so how valid it is i'm not sure...but veeerry interesting..

'IF'....there is 1% of merit to this idea than what would we have to give up? Joshes? JJ? Marvin? 1st? How much would Iverson improve our team if we have to give up a bunch to get him. Can Iverson and JJ co-exist? Iverson has the ball in his hands a lot and takes a lot of shots. I don't know what the deal would look like. Hopefully the deal would be based around Al Harrington in a sign-and-trade. I really don't want to give up any of JJ/Smith/Chill/Marvin/1st but I feel like Childress would likely be included. Would Al/Childress be enough? Al/Childress/Lue? I'm sure others could put up a better package than that. I don't see BK giving up a top 5 pick for a few years of a superstar. I can almost guarantee that Philly would want one of JJ/Marvin/Smith. I'm not willing to part with those pieces yet.

*Assuming Harrington got signed at about $10-11M, the Al/Chill/Lue for Iverson deal would actually work salary wise.

Iverson/Stoudamire

Johnson/???

JSmith/DSmith

Williams/Batista

Pachulia

Add a top 5 pick and some veterans to that. I would really push Portland with an assortment of Salim/Donta/2nd for Jarrett Jack.

Iverson/Jack

Johnson

Smith

Williams/Batista

Pachulia

Iverson's deal would expire about the time it is for Marvin to get a hefty pay raise.

Al and our lotto pick is the most I would give up. Nothing more. In fact, if our lotto pick was a top 3 pick, I wouldnt give it up without getting theirs in return.

I dont know that I would make this trade, but I would definitely have to give it serious consideration.

• Premium Member

I honestly think that Dally is coming to Atlanta... King hinted that he was wrong for signing Dally and not Signing and trading Dally.

I think that Al is going to be a 76er (if he agrees to it) and Dally is the Athletic big that BK has wanted.

But you have a strong point about Iverson. He's gone...

Quote:

The duo was a late scratch for the 76ers season home finale against Atlantic Division champion the New Jersey Nets.

"I am irate right now," said King following the 76ers 91-88 victory. "Sh*t will change."

I want to (humbly) point out that I had a similar sentiment about a week ago regarding AI and somebody tore me a new one blasting me about how ludicris any AI/ATL trade would be.

I'm not trying to say "I told you so" or anything similar (it's ALL speculation at this point) but I hope whoever posted it will realize that this is a fan message board and crazy ass posts are justed as valid as the logical ones. smile.gif

P.S. Giving up Chillz/Al/Lue would hurt, but if we picked up AI and were somehow able to draft Aldridge our starting 5 would be instantly playoff worthy in the East.

I hope not. Daly is not a guy I want. He is no better than Chandler and they are both way overpaid. We have to be somewhat frugal with spending unless it is a definite game-changing starter. We have to resign Josh's, Marvin for big money in the next few years.

for many reasons. i just think the PROS outweigh the CONS.

however, i am not DYING to have him here. *age is a factor.

as long as we can have him w/o giving up our CORE guys, i'd welcome IVERSON.

at the right price, id take him w/o thinking twice.

I think Daly is definitely a possibility. When he was healthy mid-season he was averaging over 7 defensive rebounds per game compared to Zaza's average of 4.5. He is also a shot blocker obviously.

I think the overall situation deteriorated pretty badly in Philly and AI has never been the easiest guy to play with.

He hasn't been playing basketball that long and I can't see the Hawks getting any center with more talent than him. At the very least he will be a good shotblocker and defensive rebounder, both of which the Hawks need.

It was only in the last two months that his minutes and production fell off. I think his value has fallen enough that we could get him in a SNT for Al.

The only real objection is his high salary but he doesn't make $12 million until the last year of the deal.

Remember that Daly was hurt to start the season.

In november he averaged 9.6 rebounds (7 defensive) and 3.2 blocks. In december he averaged 11/11 (8 defensive) and 3.4 blocks.

Then it looks like he got hurt again in february and never really got his act together after that.

• Admin

I really don't want AI in an ATL uni. He just wouldn't be the right guy here. I think we need to find a real pg and a c/pf.

I don't like AIs game. He dominates the ball too much and the rest of the team is always left looking. There is a reason Philly can not find another player to play with AI. Its not the other players...its AI.

Don't bring him here.

Dally on the other hand would make me very happy if we got him for an snt of AL.

• Moderators

I don't think AI meshes well with our roster, either. He is a volume shooter that needs to dominate the ball and the shots. He is most effective playing with a bunch of standout defenders and rebounders who are content to play D and try to rebound his misses.

Our team has a lot of offensive talent and is weaker in rebounding and D than an average club. I wouldn't want AI dominating the ball and the shots here with JJ already an offensive force; Chills a steady, highly efficient player; Marvin coming on when given more minutes/responsibility; and Josh Smith becoming a bigger scorer with every game.

Add in concerns over AI's attitude, his salary and whether his body breaks down and it is just not a good fit.