• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Shelden is the right pick for us... The Debate

Diesel

• Premium Member

I'm willing to debate anybody on why we should have picked Shelden.

Defense

Last year, we gave up 101.9 ppg. (28th)

Last year, teams shot 47.8% from the field on us. (28th)

Last year, we were 15th in steals.

Offense

Last year, we were 17th in scoring.

Last year, we were 14th in FG%,

Last year, we were 11th in 3 pt %.

Last year, we were 20th in assists.

Our stats show us that we were not that bad offensively.

But defensively, we got murdered in the paint.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I am in class and can't watch the draft or get in the chatroom because of Georgia State's shall I say...restrictive measures on chatrooms on their computers, which I'm on right now. Let me get this straight. BK passed on Brandon Roy to get Sheldon Williams?! I know the Hawks aren't exactly inept on offense but I've seen enough teams have 13-4 and 18-6 runs on them not to go offense. To me, Sheldon is a nice player but is he worth the 5th pick? That's the $64K question of the week to me. If he gets 16/13/1.5 than the answer is yes. However, if he is getting Alan Henderson pre-extension numbers (roughly 12/7) then they reached and reached badly, especially if Roy and Foye explodes onto the scene.

I'm upset that they didn't take Roy but I'm going to hold off judgment on Sheldon Williams until I see him in Hawk gear AND see what else they plan to do if anything. I sure hope he's everything Diesel says he is...BK's job depends on it.

He said Marvin is a 3..Smoove is a 3/4..and Sheldon is a 4/5..He said the NBA is changing to more uptempo and you would see those 3 together on the court alot..I guess that answers the logic behind the pick..We will play Sheldon at the 5..

Quote:

Right now I am in class and can't watch the draft or get in the chatroom because of Georgia State's shall I say...restrictive measures on chatrooms on their computers, which I'm on right now. Let me get this straight. BK passed on Brandon Roy to get Sheldon Williams?! I know the Hawks aren't exactly inept on offense but I've seen enough teams have 13-4 and 18-6 runs on them not to go offense. To me, Sheldon is a nice player but is he worth the 5th pick? That's the $64K question of the week to me. If he gets 16/13/1.5 than the answer is yes. However, if he is getting Alan Henderson pre-extension numbers (roughly 12/7) then they reached and reached badly, especially if Roy and Foye explodes onto the scene.

I'm upset that they didn't take Roy but I'm going to hold off judgment on Sheldon Williams until I see him in Hawk gear AND see what else they plan to do if anything. I sure hope he's everything Diesel says he is...BK's job depends on it.

That's who he looks like to me. An Alan Henderson type of player.

Guest Walter

team without a 2 time MVP Pg EVER in the history of professional basketball. How exactly is this a good thing, especially when SW isn't all THAT great.

W

Quote:

I'm willing to debate anybody on why we should have picked Shelden.

Defense

Last year, we gave up 101.9 ppg. (28th)

Last year, teams shot 47.8% from the field on us. (28th)

Last year, we were 15th in steals.

Offense

Last year, we were 17th in scoring.

Last year, we were 14th in FG%,

Last year, we were 11th in 3 pt %.

Last year, we were 20th in assists.

Our stats show us that we were not that bad offensively.

But defensively, we got murdered in the paint.

Its over Diesel. 2nd round pick gets us another role player to go along with our 5th pick, who is a role player also.

This is so like BK, the one year he decides to address a need in the draft he picks the 4th rated PF and someone who should have gone 8th at best.

We could have had Roy, possibly the 4th best player in the draft and most impact ready player period. Three players starting at the 3,4, and 5, none taller than 6'9", is not going to improve our interior D. Roy could have at least guarded his man and helped JJ on the offensive end as well. We are losing Al and his 18 pts a game.

As far as I am concerned BK is gone; unless he moves one of his five 6'8" to 6'9" (Donta,Chillz, Smoove, MWill, and now Shelden)players to address a real need. If he resigns Al that is six.

It does not suprise me anymore that BK has only aquired one all-star (Gasol) in his whole career. That was probably just a blind squirrel finding a nut. Happens to me when I get a birdie on the golf course as well...

Difference is, I am not paid to make birdies and BK is paid big time to draft all-stars.

This is a sad day...

PS, THe best PG's are now a hot commodity late in the 1st round. BK will probably take best player left and it will be .... someone 6'8" 6'9" who can ride the pine as well...

• Premium Member

If you wanted a PG, you should have been on the Chris Paul/Deron Williams bandwagon last year.

All these guys you guys are crying about will be unimpactful.

I can't wait... I really can't wait to see our defensive interior better, Shelden leading the way to ROY or maybe second behind Morrison and All of you crybabies eating crow.

Quote:

I can't wait... I really can't wait to see our defensive interior better, Shelden leading the way to ROY or maybe second behind Morrison and All of you crybabies eating crow.

That is funny coming from you. I guess now you can post another million trade MWill scenarios and all is right in your world. Looks like we are going to have to move someone. Maybe even two someone's...

To much speculation and not enough facts for me to deal with. Right now, only facts I care about are we have four 6'8" or 6'9" players who are starting caliber not including Al...way to many to deal with.

Just call us the Atl (Knicks) forwards with a better payroll until this is fixed. Of note is a post last night concerning Shelden's draft interview in which he states he is a PF.

As far as bandwagons go, that has never been my style. I am very good at working without a lot of intervention or supervison. Just tell me what you need done and then point me in the right direction.

I can only hope Shelden is the right direction...Just got to hope.

• Admin

all the over dramatic ramblings are ridiculous. Sheldon isn't the pick I wanted. I would have prefered Foye or Roy. But everyone should be able to understand why we picked Sheldon, whether they like him as the pick or not. Especially those of you who complained constantly about the layup line we ran for opposing players during games last year.

He's a defensive force who can also score and rebound. We're not going to have to teach this guy how to play basic defense. If he can come in and give us interior D and some inside scoring, we will be a MUCH better team next year.

I have no problems with the pick unless he fails to deliver the bill of goods.

• Premium Member

What need did Mwill fill last year? All he did was duplicate what we already had. In the process, we passed over the best PGs in the next 4 drafts. Imagine if we had gotten Paul?

Case closed.

Quote:

What need did Mwill fill last year? All he did was duplicate what we already had. In the process, we passed over the best PGs in the next 4 drafts. Imagine if we had gotten Paul?

Case closed.

There is really nothing to dream about as far as Paul goes. That is over just like Roy is over. But the rumors about trading Chillz or Smoove are all over the internet sports world. Including your AI deal. The one I read last night involves Philly and Smoove. Maybe MWill fills the SF need and Smoove gets us the needed PG.

Like I said earlier, to much speculation to deal with. Just got to move on and let the chips fall were they may.

Quote:

If you wanted a PG, you should have been on the Chris Paul/Deron Williams bandwagon last year.

All these guys you guys are crying about will be unimpactful.

guards will shoot over "The Landlord" with ease... Post players on the decline and guards attacking the lane are on the increase.

• Premium Member

Haha,

Your rhetoric is funny.

You say guards will shoot over the landlord with ease...

However, you also admit elsewhere that Shelden's 4 bpg in college came because he overpowered smaller players!

CONFLICT

All of your weak criticisms are starting to conflict with one another Hots...

Come on man. You have played the role of begrudging antagonist for many years here at HS. It seems that nothing is acceptable. If we had Kobe Brayant, Shaq, and Lebron James you'd complain because it was too many allstars...

Why not try this again.

Instead of looking for what's wrong in the picture, try to see what's right in the picture.

Because sometimes in life you have to emphasize your strengths instead of covering up your weaknesses to succeed.

One GD rookie is not going to turn the defense around. You think opposing players are going to be intimidated by a 6'8" PF not named Ben Wallace? They will drive the land consistently and the refs will not give a rookie the benefit of the doubt. My guess is Williams, given the playing time, will foul out more times than he has double-doubles.

What's wrong with outgunning the other team. Who says we can't win games scoring 105 ppg and giving up 101.9 ppg? It can be done. You can outrun the other team. See Phoenix, Dallas, Sacramento (prior to last year). And it makes for much more entertaining basketball and a fuller arena. Who cares if we can't survive all the way through to the championship? This would be exciting and give the team time to work on its defense ala Dallas so they could make a championship run in a few years. The talent is on this roster (without Shelden) that a PG could emphasize the offensive strengths of the team for years to come.

And you hit the nail on the head. 20th in assists...imagine if we had an effing PG how many PPG we could average. It would boost our assist totals by at least 4 or 5 per game. Nobody would be able to run with the Hawks in the East with that kind of firepower.

Quote:

Haha,

Your rhetoric is funny.

You say guards will shoot over the landlord with ease...

However, you also admit elsewhere that Shelden's 4 bpg in college came because he overpowered smaller players!

CONFLICT

All of your weak criticisms are starting to conflict with one another Hots...

Come on man. You have played the role of begrudging antagonist for many years here at HS. It seems that nothing is acceptable. If we had Kobe Brayant, Shaq, and Lebron James you'd complain because it was too many allstars...

Why not try this again.

Instead of looking for what's wrong in the picture, try to see what's right in the picture.

Wrong Person. I don't watch much college ball. Never made comments about his blocked shots. I'm using common sense... These guards will shoot over 6'9 players that aren't overly athletic.