Here's the letter I am sending to the ownership

CrawDaddy

December 20, 2006

Atlanta Spirit LLC

101 Marietta Street, NW

Suite 1900

Atlanta, GA 30303

Dear Atlanta Spirit Group,

I am writing this letter immediately following the Atlanta Hawks’ loss to the Utah Jazz this evening. To give you a bit of background on myself before I begin the substance of my letter; I am an Atlanta native, having grown up in Cobb County, and I am currently an attorney living in Lawrenceville, Georgia. I have been a Hawks, Falcons and Braves fan my entire life. I believe even were my wife and I to move to another region of the country, I would still follow these teams. I was a Hawks season ticket holder last year, but due to job constraints and last year’s product I passed on renewing my tickets this season.

Despite my affection for the Hawks, I am currently disgusted with the direction this franchise is headed. I usually do not care for the controversial garbage that Terrance Moore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution writes, but he may have had a point in the December 20, 2006, article when he compared the state of affairs between the Hawks and Jazz franchises. His article began, “To see how far the Hawks haven’t come during their journey from self-inflicted implosion to wherever their slew of bosses say this franchise is headed, just study the other guys Wednesday night at Philips Arena.”

I took Mr. Moore’s advice and rushed home following work this evening to catch the game against the Jazz on Sports South. I was thrilled to see my team take a 21 point lead in the third quarter with all of the momentum going my team’s way going into the fourth quarter.

Then, inexcusably, “Coach” Mike Woodson starts an NBDL team at the beginning of the fourth quarter. The momentum changers of the third quarter, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, were both sitting on the bench to start the fourth. This is the same fourth quarter in which we gave up seven points in one possession and lost the aforementioned lead of 21 points. Throughout the fourth quarter, I saw the Jazz team continue to run its perfected pick and roll offense while cutting players into the lane for easy lay-ups (usually accompanied by a foul and a made free-throw), drive the lane one on one trying to draw a foul, or drive the lane and kick out to an open man for an uncontested jump shot.

On our end of the floor, I saw the Jazz switch to a zone defense and then saw the players on my team watch, for the entirety of the fourth quarter, whoever had the ball at that moment. There was no movement whatsoever. I saw no offensive sets, I did not see “Coach” Woodson call out any plays, and the only person I saw attempt to drive the lane and draw fouls was Marvin Williams. Throughout the fourth quarter, the television cameras revealed what “Coach” Woodson was doing – sitting with a dumbfounded look on his face with a hand covering his mouth and cheek. He displayed no leadership, did nothing to counter the Jazz zone by instituting an outside shooter aside from Joe Johnson and essentially watched his team, my team, squander a 21 point lead in one quarter.

I do not contend that I am a National Basketball Association coach. However, I have no doubt whatsoever that you as owners could have stuck Gilbert Grape, Forrest Gump, or a myriad of other mildly retarded characters on the Hawks bench as head coach this evening and they would have figured out how to manage their way to a victory.

Unfortunately, I do not see this franchise improving until a move at the head coaching position is made. I implore you as owners and fans of our team to review the track record of “Coach” Woodson. He seems like a very nice man, cares about his young players and may even be a good father figure. But do not be mistaken, he is an awful strategist, a terrible manager of his game personnel and has a worse winning percentage than the French Army. Please consider making a coaching change. I, along with many other Hawks fans, cannot stomach this product much longer.

Sincerely,

CrawDaddy

Quote:

someone's a little upset about the loss.

I think the thing that p!sses me off the most is reading quotes about how (Diaw) or anybody could do well in "that system". Well Ladies and Gentlemen - "that system" is on a 15 game winning streak while we can't hold a 21 point 4th quarter lead with "our system".

Maybe we should stop banging the wheat on rocks and get industrialized? Don't give me that "they have Steve Nash" B.S. - he isn't God - we have an inferior system (if we have a system at all).

Quote:

December 20, 2006

Atlanta Spirit LLC

101 Marietta Street, NW

Suite 1900

Atlanta, GA 30303

Dear Atlanta Spirit Group,

I am writing this letter immediately following the Atlanta Hawks’ loss to the Utah Jazz this evening. To give you a bit of background on myself before I begin the substance of my letter; I am an Atlanta native, having grown up in Cobb County, and I am currently an attorney living in Lawrenceville, Georgia. I have been a Hawks, Falcons and Braves fan my entire life. I believe even were my wife and I to move to another region of the country, I would still follow these teams. I was a Hawks season ticket holder last year, but due to job constraints and last year’s product I passed on renewing my tickets this season.

Despite my affection for the Hawks, I am currently disgusted with the direction this franchise is headed. I usually do not care for the controversial garbage that Terrance Moore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution writes, but he may have had a point in the December 20, 2006, article when he compared the state of affairs between the Hawks and Jazz franchises. His article began, “To see how far the Hawks haven’t come during their journey from self-inflicted implosion to wherever their slew of bosses say this franchise is headed, just study the other guys Wednesday night at Philips Arena.”

I took Mr. Moore’s advice and rushed home following work this evening to catch the game against the Jazz on Sports South. I was thrilled to see my team take a 21 point lead in the third quarter with all of the momentum going my team’s way going into the fourth quarter.

Then, inexcusably, “Coach” Mike Woodson starts an NBDL team at the beginning of the fourth quarter. The momentum changers of the third quarter, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, were both sitting on the bench to start the fourth. This is the same fourth quarter in which we gave up seven points in one possession and lost the aforementioned lead of 21 points. Throughout the fourth quarter, I saw the Jazz team continue to run its perfected pick and roll offense while cutting players into the lane for easy lay-ups (usually accompanied by a foul and a made free-throw), drive the lane one on one trying to draw a foul, or drive the lane and kick out to an open man for an uncontested jump shot.

On our end of the floor, I saw the Jazz switch to a zone defense and then saw the players on my team watch, for the entirety of the fourth quarter, whoever had the ball at that moment. There was no movement whatsoever. I saw no offensive sets, I did not see “Coach” Woodson call out any plays, and the only person I saw attempt to drive the lane and draw fouls was Marvin Williams. Throughout the fourth quarter, the television cameras revealed what “Coach” Woodson was doing – sitting with a dumbfounded look on his face with a hand covering his mouth and cheek. He displayed no leadership, did nothing to counter the Jazz zone by instituting an outside shooter aside from Joe Johnson and essentially watched his team, my team, squander a 21 point lead in one quarter.

I do not contend that I am a National Basketball Association coach. However, I have no doubt whatsoever that you as owners could have stuck Gilbert Grape, Forrest Gump, or a myriad of other mildly retarded characters on the Hawks bench as head coach this evening and they would have figured out how to manage their way to a victory.

Unfortunately, I do not see this franchise improving until a move at the head coaching position is made. I implore you as owners and fans of our team to review the track record of “Coach” Woodson. He seems like a very nice man, cares about his young players and may even be a good father figure. But do not be mistaken, he is an awful strategist, a terrible manager of his game personnel and has a worse winning percentage than the French Army. Please consider making a coaching change. I, along with many other Hawks fans, cannot stomach this product much longer.

Sincerely,

CrawDaddy

Sadly, it's not going to do any good. The whole entire ownership is a bunch of clowns. A real owner would have had Mike Woodson's head right now.

I don't care what kind of trip Billy/Mike @ss kissers wants to spew toward everybody. These guys aren't getting it done. Improvement? Gee Wiz! Let's give Billy a hand for the team going from 13 wins to 30!

You know what p!sses me off most? These guys have nearly killed my interest in basketball. I haven't watched a basketball game in probably 2 weeks now. Why the f*ck do I want to watch the NBA when the team I root for s*cks all the time and never does anything?

Look at the Lakers... They done won 3 titles, rebuild their team, and has a shot to possibly win more over the next few years. What have the Hawks done? Nothing.

That's why I don't watch games anymore. I get tired of seeing other teams win and this one sucking all the time.

Quote:

...I was a Hawks season ticket holder last year, but due to job constraints and last year’s product I passed on renewing my tickets this season....

Leave that part out - U ain't payin - they don't care as much...

Say something like "having been a season ticket holder since..? or something that doesn't tell them you gave up your ticks. Otherwise you have no clout - - - they can't check...or they realistically won't...your point is the main thing.

I agree Hotlanta, I can barely watch this team anymore after being at the game last sat. night against the Bulls when we dominated them the whole game and were up by 12pts and blew that one in regulation and in overtime. Then last night comes along and were KILLING one of the best teams in the West up 21 at the start of the 4th qtr. And we have one of the most monumental collapses I can remember and flat out choke.

JJ needs to quit whining and start being a leader damn it. His quotes last night after the game were pathetic. He said he told Lue that after the end of the 3rd qtr. he "didn't know what to expect" and "anything can happen" . With that kind of mindset for your all star to have up 21 going into the 4qtr. is NOT GOOD folks. He needs to step up his leadership and take this team to the promise land. Of course it doesn't help when WOody puts in our worst defensive players either like Lazy Bum Lo Wright and Salim.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I agree Hotlanta, I can barely watch this team anymore after being at the game last sat. night against the Bulls when we dominated them the whole game and were up by 12pts and blew that one in regulation and in overtime. Then last night comes along and were KILLING one of the best teams in the West up 21 at the start of the 4th qtr. And we have one of the most monumental collapses I can remember and flat out choke.

JJ needs to quit whining and start being a leader damn it. His quotes last night after the game were pathetic. He said he told Lue that after the end of the 3rd qtr. he "didn't know what to expect" and "anything can happen" . With that kind of mindset for your all star to have up 21 going into the 4qtr. is NOT GOOD folks. He needs to step up his leadership and take this team to the promise land. Of course it doesn't help when WOody puts in our worst defensive players either like Lazy Bum Lo Wright and Salim.

I was wondering had anybody else read JJ's quote. We really need a leader on this team. Could you imagine AI saying something like that before the 4th quarter? Even if his team was DOWN 21 in the 4th? I could deal with him being a quiet guy but he has to step up and be the leader of this team. That means more than scoring 28 points and dishing out a few assists. I may get flamed for saying that but it's the truth.

Quote:

Do you have link for the JJ quote?

It's at the end of the AP writeup. Joe said he told Lue before the 4th quarter that "you never know what to expect".

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2006122001

I wouldn't necessarily read it as a sign of weak leadership on his part. It may be that he wanted guys to ignore the huge lead and focus on finishing the game strong because if you don't "you never know what to expect".

I think Josh Smith's comments are more telling. "Even when we're up, our body language says we're losing," Smith said. "We shouldn't feel that way."

• Premium Member

...begin compiling a list of quotes since Woody's reign. Both by him and by the players...as well as note some of the commentary during the game. To me, that's the indicator. I'm not a coach and would probably fail miserably to lead an elementary school team. But, the people who play for Woodson, those basketball professionals who watch him coach, and even Woody himself...they all have interesting and very telling things to say.

Today's quote...

Quote:

"It's like we're frontrunners," Johnson (27 points, 5 assists) said. "When we have a lead, everyone can make shots and make plays. But when it's crunch time, everyone seems nervous and scared."

Hmmm....

Who is responsible for this mentality and who is responsible for getting it under control?

Perhaps what we are seeing is a mix of bad coaching and just young players without an established roll.

I don't get to catch many Hawks games but I do see a bunch of King's games. Adelman was a good coach who lost his job because he couldn't win the big series. Yes he can take some blame but at the end of the day the players have to do their part. I can clearly recall when they got Artest and the man spent half the game going one on one turning the ball over or wasting the shotclock. In this scenario the team was still figuring out what Artest's roll should be.

Fast forward to the Hawks and we have Woodson's terrible substitution patterns mixed in with young players still figuring out their roles. Who is the second scorer after JJ? Marvin? If that is the case why was Woodson on his ass for taking a shot at the end of the Bull's game? Then you have Josh who some nights fills up the stat sheets and other nights steals minutes.

Perhaps JJ is basically saying that the Hawk's don't yet have an identity to fall back on to close games. From Woodson's press conference I got the feeling he is just as annoyed with the fact that his coaching is not translating to the end of games. We've never heard the players say they were not prepared. All we've heard from them is they don't know what to expect out of themselves and have a pattern of not closing out games.

Blame both I say.