• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Court overturns Belkin decision!!!

Dejay

I think I remember someone saying that Belkin is strapped for money due to the huge building he is involved with. If this is the case and the court says that he no longer has leverage to buy out the others, he may be more willing to come to terms. If he has indeed lost the leverage, it will cost him more money to draw this thing out when what he will gain has diminished. I'll be intered to hear the input of some of our legal counsel on the HS.

Actually, my guess is Belkin has plenty of money (he had the largest stake in the initial partnership - 30% I believe)...that's why they made him team Governor.

In order to put a deal together like the tallest building in downtown Boston, one has to have some clout and some investors.

C'mon people - the ONLY thing Belkin did was to disagree with BK - saying that he was giving away the farm (draft pick-wise) when he didn't have to - to get JJ at a max.

The pick he was trying to save is the one we don't have this year.

He wasn't trying to save a pick. He was trying to make sure the payroll didn't increase. The Suns would have matched any offer and tried to deal him later.

If Steve Belkin ran this thing, the Hawks would be run on the cheap, and it would be the ML Carr show in Atlanta, because that is who Belkin would bring in to run the Hawks if he ever got control.

• Moderators

I don't think there's a point in rehashing this. But disagreeing with BK was not the only thing he did. The two big problems were:

-refusing to go along with the two thirds vote that the ownership group had agreed was how they would run things.

-delibrately sabotaging a buyout process (remember he agreed to be bought out) in order to gain sole ownership of a franchise he said he wanted out of,

• Moderators

Saying the only thing Belkin did was disagree with BK is like saying the only thing Vick did was hang out with his buddies. Kind of ignores the most important aspects of the controversy. It isn't the fact that Belkin voted against the JJ trade. It is the fact that he tried to do a hostile take over of his partners and has continued that approach since then.

The pick he was trying to save was the pick that Phoenix ultimately traded to Boston and was used to draft Rondo. I distinctly remember reading that previously. To think otherwise, is to think Phoenix would have considered trading JJ for Diaw and a mid-round first round pick. (Imagine trading JJ for Diaw and Rondo). But I do believe what so many (including the other owners) have suggested, he was really trying to block the trade because he didn't want to spend the money on a max deal. So he offered up the red herring of saying that 2 1st rounders was too much to hide his true desire to run the team on the cheap. I've always been concerned that his dream is to won an NBA frnchise as opposed to own an NBA champion. Tremendous difference.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't pretend to know who Belkin would put in place, but I do believe that Belkin had his eye on money rather than talent. I think he would have run the team as cheaply as possible unless Iverson was involved.

While I've been inclined to believe this, I haven't quite been able to reconcile that thought with the well-known fact that Belkin has been a big NBA fan for so long... that is, "big fans" are ordinarily "big fans of winning."

Quote:

then why exactly did he agree to contract terms with JJ? It was about the picks, don't do conspiracy theories and extrapolate outrageous claims.

IMO it's because he thought they would match, as did I and almost everyone that isn't a Belkin fan. From everything I've heard/read that was said from BOTH sides, PHX was going to match no matter what.

Either way, I don't think giving up Diaw (did NOTHING for our team), one of the most heavily protected picks in history, and a future protected pick was so much that he had to completely block the trade. The only person that claims Belkin isn't cheap is Belkin himself.