• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Grant turned down ASG

AnnArborHawk

If thats true and as Hawks fans we have that sick feeling that it is indded true, well we are still a laughingstock. I mean could we at least get turned down by a real candidate? Now there is the slight possibility that espn is full of shyyt, but I doubt it. Hopefully its for the best. Im glad its not Grant, just amazed that even his sorry ayss turned the job down. I guess he has more say in Clevland than he would have here as gm. No accountable gm is going to want Woody kept. Why to you think BK left.

no matter what GM we get, it will still be on the owners running the show. they should just sign no gm, save a couple of bucks and hold opinion polls on hawks.com for trade decisions and draft picks that the owners come up with. smile.gif

or the owners could just stay out of whatever the GM wants to do and let the GM do their full job.

anyway i dont care that we dont get grant, happy its not him

god, this is a disaster....what a traveshamockery.....

Who else wants Billy Knight back? Who else went on record saying Knight leaving would be awful for this franchise not that I am happy it happened just so I could be right.

You gotta hope that these GMs who wont take the job will encourage the ASG to give the new GM the final say on Woody. That's the only potentially positive thing that could happen from this embarrassment. That and the fact that no matter where we go from here it wont be Grant (I was not too psyched about him). But if we can do worse, I am sure the ASG will succeed.

Quote:

What will the ASG do now?!?!

Mike Gearon is working on a sock puppet act. Seriously, we just had a mail boy turn us down. There is basically no way an experienced GM will agree to the ASG's stipulations (one of which is looking like keeping Woodson). I get the feeling we are about to turn into a Greek tragedy.

Quote:

If thats true and as Hawks fans we have that sick feeling that it is indded true, well we are still a laughingstock. I mean could we at least get turned down by a real candidate? Now there is the slight possibility that espn is full of shyyt, but I doubt it. Hopefully its for the best. Im glad its not Grant, just amazed that even his sorry ayss turned the job down. I guess he has more say in Clevland than he would have here as gm. No accountable gm is going to want Woody kept. Why to you think BK left.

Grant rejecting the job is 100% true. It had to do with $ and control.

Quote:

god, this is a disaster....what a traveshamockery.....

Who else wants Billy Knight back? Who else went on record saying Knight leaving would be awful for this franchise not that I am happy it happened just so I could be right.

You gotta hope that these GMs who wont take the job will encourage the ASG to give the new GM the final say on Woody. That's the only potentially positive thing that could happen from this embarrassment. That and the fact that no matter where we go from here it wont be Grant (I was not too psyched about him). But if we can do worse, I am sure the ASG will succeed.

I want Knight back. I would be very happy if he reconsidered and the ASG signed him to a 3 or 4 year deal. Then they actually let him make trades he wants to make and fire coaches he wants to fire. Its a pipe dream though. If thses idiots want to pay 500 grand a year for a yes man well, I could be a yes man for that kind of doe.

Why would he turn the down?

**The downgraded the position?

**The money was basically pocket change

**They won't let him decide about a coach

**He's basically a talking head

Can't understand it. That's probably what they are saying.

They should create a video man like Max Headroom and then they can do what they want.

Quote:

Why would he turn the down?

**The downgraded the position?

**The money was basically pocket change

**They won't let him decide about a coach

**He's basically a talking head

Can't understand it. That's probably what they are saying.

They should create a video man like Max Headroom and then they can do what they want.

They should just hold a fan contest like they did for the draft. Which ever fan can write the best 500 word essay on how they can be a great meat puppet. Winner gets to stand in front of cameras all day long repeating the company line.

In all seriousness, the ASG really screwed the pouch on this- and I can't anyone is surprised. The Hawks are now officially the worst run NBA franchise and the Thrashers are the worst NHL. This is saying A LOT considering the Clippers and Bruins ownership.

My gut feeling now is that both Joshs are gone come next season. Both will be moved for pennies on the dollar. If I was the agent for Smith and/or Childress I would find a way to force the Hawks to trade my client. The ASG is demonstrating that they have no clue about how to go about their business.

If I am JJ, Chillz, Horford, Smith, even Marvin, right now I am telling my agent to demand a trade. Why would anyone who is worth anything want to come to a team that is run like this? It is astounding that the ASG does not realize that they are destroying this team for the foreseeable future. The only way you could get a NBA GM for $600K is because he is unqualified for the position! To quote Colonel Kurtz: "The horror".

When the least desirable guy with no experience turns down this job that really has to make you wonder WTF is going on. I was happy to hear that Grant wasn't the guy, thinking that maybe the ASG decided to go in another direction but to hear that the decision was made by Grant turning down the ASG is just pitiful.

Quote:

When the least desirable guy with no experience turns down this job that really has to make you wonder WTF is going on. I was happy to hear that Grant wasn't the guy, thinking that maybe the ASG decided to go in another direction but to hear that the decision was made by Grant turning down the ASG is just pitiful.

Now they have been turned down by BK, his former assistant and we don't even know how many others.

BTW I found KB....

hidesbehindsofa.gif

Looking at this from a "glass half-full" perspective, at elast Grant is not the GM. Hawks dodged a bullet there. I really think the ASG is going to do what they did last time and just promote the assistant GM.

They did it with BK and now they will do it with Fitzsimmons. They will say something to the effect that "he was the right guy all along, knows these players better then anyone else, has lots of experience, etc."

• Premium Member

I think they will be forced to find new sources of revenue (Ted Turner). The ultimate winners will be Belkin and the fans of the Hawks. IF they get Turner to come in, they will prolly pay off Belkin and then be in a position to pay free agents. However, their pride may make them try to go after the arbitration. IF they do, it will do damage to our team.

I think what ASG has to realize is that there is financial damage and then in basketball, there's social damage. Up until recently, we suffered from Both. We were financially damaged and we were socially damaged. The playoffs gives us a chance to move out of social damage. What I mean by social damage is team image. Now we have the image of a team that can win.

The secret and good news is that if you correct the social damage, you will heal your financial damage too. If we bring in the right GM and Coach, we can get the fan base behind the Hawks and season ticket sales will go up... Meaning more revenue. However, to take advantage of that fully, ASG must get out of Belkin's grip. The more successful the Hawks, the more Belk can ask for. Let's just pay him off and go off and be successful. That requires money up front. To me, that requires somebody making Ted Turner a partner. I'm sure that the finance dept can show how a winning spirit will change basketball for Atlanta. We're the 9th largest media market. Surely, we can be on TV as much as the Lakers, Spurs, and Mavs.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Grant rejecting the job is 100% true. It had to do with $ and control.

If you are the one who knows Grant, I don't know if you can elaborate on the "control" issue but I would be very interested to hear. That is more concerning to me than the money.