• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Philly to offer Smoove deal starting at 11 mil per

NJHAWK

Chris Broussard is reporting Philly prolly wont get Brand because Brand wont take a paycut from his 16 mill a season. He said they are poised to offer Smoove a deal starting at 11 mill per year with 8% increase every year. He also wrote that he heard whispers the Hawks dont want to go past 11 mill.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Chris Broussard is reporting Philly prolly wont get Brand because Brand wont take a paycut from his 16 mill a season. He said they are poised to offer Smoove a deal starting at 11 mill per year with 8% increase every year. He also wrote that he heard whispers the Hawks dont want to go past 11 mill.

We'll match without a doubt. It may mean that Chillz will have to go but there's no way they'll let Smoove go to Philly. He sell tickets and he's too popular among most Hawks fans especially those casual fans who just started caring about the Hawks again after the playoffs.

Quote:

Quote:

We'll match without a doubt. It may mean that Chillz will have to go but there's no way they'll let Smoove go to Philly. He sell tickets and he's too popular among most Hawks fans especially those casual fans who just started caring about the Hawks again after the playoffs.

Hope you are right, but the ASG are going to be challenged becasue the league knows they have limitations and more than likely they will take advantage of this.

Nobody KNOWS that we have limitations, it's nothing but baseless assumptions at this point. There are no court rules against us financially anymore (if I remember correctly) and that doesn't pertain to our own FA's anyway. We have not lost ANY player due to financial concerns and all indications from the ASG/Management/Coaching all point to us re-signing both of the Joshes so until something happens to prove otherwise the ASG deserves the benefit of the doubt.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Nobody KNOWS that we have limitations, it's nothing but baseless assumptions at this point. There are no court rules against us financially anymore (if I remember correctly) and that doesn't pertain to our own FA's anyway. We have not lost ANY player due to financial concerns and all indications from the ASG/Management/Coaching all point to us re-signing both of the Joshes so until something happens to prove otherwise the ASG deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Its kinda funny to me that board members will post all kinds of expensive trades for players making $15 million dollars per year or more everyday. But the minutes someone implies that the Asg will resign to of our main players for that same $15 million per year, Poster claim that it is financially impossible!

It's been rumored for months now that Philly was likely going to have a strong interest in Smoove, so it's sounding like those rumors are actually true. The 8% raise per year- what is that, like 900K the second year, and then 8% of 11.9 million his third year (my math skills are horrible)?

It seems a reasonable offer to me, and not out of line with Smoove's actual perceived value in any way. In other words, he's probably worth that, and this is an offer I'd think (and hope) the ASG could and would easily match.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hope you are right, but the ASG are going to be challenged becasue the league knows they have limitations and more than likely they will take advantage of this.

I will be shocked if we don't match a deal to Josh Smith starting at 11M per.

Yaeh the more I think about it the more it makes sense the Hawks would match it. Even if its 5 years starting at 11 mil the last year of the deal would top out at just under 15 mil. By that time Smoove could be a bargain at that price.

It's ashame they will probably give this much to a player that don't have a consistant offensive game, isn't a great rounder, or doesn't play that great man to man defense. Anything above 8 or so is overpaying big time. He shouldn't be getting as much or more than Joe because he is not better.

We will not lose fans. I love Smoove but no one is going to Phillips Arena to see Smoove. If we have a winning team attendance will probably be the same or slightly better. Atlanta is a band wagon town and they only support winners and again that isn't guaranteed.

The raises per the CBA are simple raises only, not compounded. So its 8% of the starting salary for each year, it doesn't change after each year. So roughly it will be 880K added each year.

$11 mil

$11.88 mil

$12.76 mil

$13.64 mil

$14.52 mil

Quote:

We will not lose fans. I love Smoove but no one is going to Phillips Arena to see Smoove.

That's what the Falcons thought about Michael Vick and it would be the same situation with the Hawks and Smoove. I fully expect Smoove to be resigned next year though.

Quote:

Quote:

We will not lose fans. I love Smoove but no one is going to Phillips Arena to see Smoove.

That's what the Falcons thought about Michael Vick and it would be the same situation with the Hawks and Smoove. I fully expect Smoove to be resigned next year though.

Why do so many of you guys insist on comparing Vick to Smoove. Vick was an all world talent. He was the falcons, he was the best player on the team without a doubt. JJ is the superstar on this team. People will support the Hawks as long as we are winning. As our record got better attendance got better, but again this is Atlanta.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why do so many of you guys insist on comparing Vick to Smoove. Vick was an all world talent. He was the falcons, he was the best player on the team without a doubt. JJ is the superstar on this team. People will support the Hawks as long as we are winning. As our record got better attendance got better, but again this is Atlanta.

I agree. I don't think Josh Smith has a great impact on attendance for the Hawks like Vick had with the Falcons. People didn't come out to watch the Hawks that much last year, and I think the increase in attendance will have more to do with a great playoff showing.

• Moderators

The Vick/Smith comparison doesn't really work for me either and I don't think Smoove is that big of a draw (compared to Vick who was a HUGE draw). That said, if the Hawks let him go it will be an utterly demoralizing development and will really hurt attendance.

• Premium Member

Very true. The ASG needs to sign this guy to show that they care about winning. I think they will re-sign both Joshes. I mean, if the kept Woody around, that HAS to mean that they want to keep the team intact, RIGHT? worried.gif

I wasn't trying to say that Josh and Vick are of the same talent level because Michael Vick was a superstar and Josh is still trying to become a star. The point that I was trying to make is that people thought the falcons would be better after we lost Vick and I think it would be the same if the Hawks lost Smoove.