• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Are People Blaming the ASG?

JackB1

I don't get it? Sure, I'm upset Chillz left for Greece, but here is the bottom line:

The Greek offer was way more than we or any other NBA team could have given him.

I don't blame Chillz for taking that deal at all. I would take it too.

How is any of this the fault of the ASG?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

because of HOW they handled it...i think chill would have stayed if they had treated him respectfully and maybe offered SLIGHTLY more..

you have to wonder also why BK QUIT instead of fired when we finally made the playoffs...

E.x.a.c.t.l.y. That is what I was gonna say except I was beaten to it.

Quote:

I don't get it? Sure, I'm upset Chillz left for Greece, but here is the bottom line:

The Greek offer was way more than we or any other NBA team could have given him.

Because the ASG has caused this franchise to have a culture of ineptidude. Their public squabble over ownership coupled with very questionable front office and coaching hires has resulted in a second class franchise.

I agree with your point somewhat. The Childress thing may or may not be the fault of the ASG....but re: fan reaction, I'm sure it's just frustration, and the fact that fans are just fed up overall with the ASG. I mean they've proven to be a terrible ownership group, and Hawks fans have every right to be pissed off and tired of that crap.

Quote:

People who blame the ASG don't realize that these guys didn't get rich by spending beyond their means - like everybody else in this country.

Offering Childress $36M over 5 years was a more than fair offer in the NBA market. Childress chose to take the money that no NBA team could offer him - can't blame him there.

But you also can't blame the ASG for not financially handicapping the organization with a wild offer.

I think The King Chuck from 790 the zone said it best. Its the working environment the ASG have put out is what is causing this team to go to hell. You want see other players from most of the league looking to go over sea because they like where they work. J-Chill, as we all should know, is not a guy who is not all about the money. This guy has been a true professional. But if you don't like the "environment" you are in and someone comes around to give you a reason (ie more money) to leave..... then you are out. If the ASG treated these guys with much more respect like the owner of Dallas then you will not see J-Chill looking for ways to get out of here.

I want to see what they do now. There is both sides to this story. The main problem those of us who are having trouble with ASG is how they take their sweet time in doing things. These guys take forever. In some cases it helps to wait out a process. In other cases such Smoove and Chill. There is no point in dragging out the process.

Everyone who is defending ASG is using the contract offer to defend them. Problem is was this the contract offer they made to Chill from the start, or did they put this offer together after Chill was in Greece? If it was from the start then I can side with ASG in this matter. I just find it hard to believe we didn't hear anything for weeks about Chill being made an offer and the numbers to the deal. All of the sudden we hear the offer and numbers to the deal when Chill is in Greece. This just come across to me as ASG dragging their feet and going into panic mode/save face by getting the info of the offer out to the media.

Quote:

I agree with you 100%.

No team in the NBA pays their 6th man $11 mill a year. It just cannot be done. The ASG is guilty of nothing here. They did what any NBA team would do and that is offer a fair contract in the American market place.

The only thing the ASG can be blamed for is operating in a country with a weak currence in comparison to Europe. Greece's contract is automatically juiced up 33% due to the currency difference. Asking the ASG to compete with a market with no salary cap and a favorable currency rate should not be expected anyway.

Quote:

This just come across to me as ASG dragging their feet and going into panic mode/save face by getting the info of the offer out to the media.

That's how it struck me too, and it's difficult for me to imagine Chillz having arrived in Athens with 20+ suitcases had the ASG been negotiating with him in good faith all along. By the time he boarded that airplane to Greece, he was obviously ready to go- and would that be the case if the ASG hadn't been jerking him around somewhat? I don't know, but I would really have to wonder....

Sekou's source said that too....that the ASG was not doing right by either of the Joshes in their negotiations.

some folks are upset at the "culture of ineptitude" the ASG has allowed to fester. Chillz leaving is just another sign that ATL has a hard time attracting/keeping good players. maybe if ASG had "been more respectful" (whatever that means), Chillz would have turned down a contract that pays him significantly more than what any NBA team was willing to offer.

otoh, some people are just being dumb about this. the offer from Greece is WAY more than any NBA team could have paid. stupid to blame ASG for not paying what would be stupid to pay a 6th man.

i also think people are ignoring the unique qualities of Chillz that makes a move to Europe more amenable to him than many other players. he's college educated, comes from a more 'worldly' background - he'll find Europe more appealing b/c he won't be freaked out at the "foreignness" of it. NBA players who have not traveled extensively, or came to the NBA just out of high school(e.g., Josh Smith), are much less likely to find European league play appealing.

Quote:

IF a 5 year deal rumored to be $33 - 38 mill for Chillz is accurate then it sounds like Chillz was treated more then fairly.

Sounds to me like Chillz' greed lead him over seas to Greece b/c NO NBA team was going to pay him more then $ 7 mill per year. ( I don't blame him for leaving for more money but I don't see how you blame the ASG either. Over paying for Chillz would only hurt the franchise.)

As far as the team not commenting and negotiating through the media. No team negotiates through the press. Teams negotiate behind closed doors. Then once the player signs a contract its announced. No news here. The ASG and Sund are reacting like any team that lost a player to another team. They state what they offered. If Chillz or his agent does not rebuff the statement he turned down $33-38 million to stay in Atlanta then we take it as truth.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I blame Childress for being greedy and not accepting the ASG's fair offer but I also blame the ASG for taking so long and letting this situation even happen.

People need to stop calling athletes who accept better contracts greedy... Childress owes the fans NOTHING. He is a professional and his only loyalty should be to himself and his family... If Childress had re-signed and then became injury prone like Speedy, everyone would be ready to dump his ass right into a rancid dumpster...

Frankly the "Childress is greedy" whining is laughable, and hypocritical. The NBA is a business, and if anyone is to blame it is the ASG for sucking like hell at it.

Quote:

IF a 5 year deal rumored to be $33 - 38 mill for Chillz is accurate then it sounds like Chillz was treated more then fairly.

That is a fair offer, but the question is when was that offer extended? If it was made when the gun was already held to the head of the ASG and Chillz was in Greece, then it's not a good faith offer in my opinion- it's a face saving gesture at a time when it was becoming increasingly clear that they were going to lose him.

We'll never know, but would it really surprise anyone to find out this was the case? Honestly, I've come to expect the absolute worst from these guys. I think we all have. That's the part that's really the worst about all of this to me, the lack of surprise, because I expect nothing better from this ownership.

Quote:

That is a fair offer, but the question is when was that offer extended? If it was made when the gun was already held to the head of the ASG and Chillz was in Greece, then it's not a good faith offer in my opinion- it's a face saving gesture at a time when it was becoming increasingly clear that they were going to lose him.

We'll never know, but would it really surprise anyone to find out this was the case? Honestly, I've come to expect the absolute worst from these guys. I think we all have. That's the part that's really the worst about all of this to me, the lack of surprise, because I expect nothing better from this ownership.

Bingo. We've come to expect the absolute worst from this group since the JJ fiasco; what have they really done to change that?

Quote:

Quote:

Why would they have offered it before the Greek offer when NO NBA team thinks he is worth that. You cannot over pay to keep a 6th man when you have true potential star players like: Smith, Johnson, and Horford you have to pay to keep together.

Again I do not blame the ASG for being prudent and fair. However, if they offered Chillz a $33-38 mill contract on July 1 or anytime before the Greek offer I would be pissed b/c it is far above maket value in the US. Every one in America knows that is too much for Chillz except for "homer" Hawks fans with no concept of the salary cap and luxury tax.

I would rather lose Chillz for nothing then over pay to keep him. You do not build a franchise by caving into salary demands of your 6th man. Any GM or ownership group can over pay a 6th man and be called fools nationally but praised by "homer" hometown fans for grossly over paying for a player they have grown familar with. However, good GMs fill the bench with role players for modest salaries (good value players) and leave the big money for 2 or 3 stars. I commend the ASG and Sund for sticking to their guns and building this thing the right way.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

This just come across to me as ASG dragging their feet and going into panic mode/save face by getting the info of the offer out to the media.

That's how it struck me too, and it's difficult for me to imagine Chillz having arrived in Athens with 20+ suitcases had the ASG been negotiating with him in good faith all along. By the time he boarded that airplane to Greece, he was obviously ready to go- and would that be the case if the ASG hadn't been jerking him around somewhat? I don't know, but I would really have to wonder....

Sekou's source said that too....that the ASG was not doing right by either of the Joshes in their negotiations.

The media is only getting info from the players and their reps. The teams (or the Hawks anyway) know that they can't get in a media battle over contracts so they don't provide info on the negotiations. So when you hear that the team is jerking them around that's from the player's agents who just want to make their guy more money and make him not look like he's hunting the biggest payday he can find (which is what everyone does).

Chill thought he deserved more than the Hawks were offering which is fine except that he really had nothing to back it up because no other team would offer him the deal he wanted either. I don't see how he can claim being jerked around by the nba team that offered him the most money. I'm disappointed he'll be playing in Greece. He's not 21. He'll be spending his prime years there.