• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

hawks add flip

lawman

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least we didnt get Redick. THAT woulda been a wasted spot.

so i guess signing one of the greatest shooters in college basketball history and probably would be our best shooter, a former lottery pick, and a guy who was not been given a chance yet is a waste then your right. Both guys are undersized for their positions so I would take a guy who at least brings a skill to the team we dont have. Redick would do that.

At least we aren't signing an NBDL player. Flip is NBA quality, I like to actually see a legitimate signing and not someone touting about signing Obinna Ekezie or Randolph Morris.

If there is another signing this offseason then it will be a big, no reason to keep piling on guards.

I have heard nothing confirm in the Elson signing. Perhaps Bucks wanted to wait until their trade was complete which it just was to announce his signing. Hopefully the delay was long enough for the Hawks to slip in and steal Elson away similar to Evans.

Edited by HawksJJHorford

At least we aren't signing an NBDL player. Flip is NBA quality, I like to actually see a legitimate signing and not someone touting about signing Obinna Ekezie or Randolph Morris.

If there is another signing this offseason then it will be a big, no reason to keep piling on guards.

Agreed and Sund is definitely starting to win me over with these quality contracts he is handing out to fill out the bench. There were things that I liked about BK but one thing I hated about him was that he was awful at filling out the bench talent wise and even worse at overpaying them.

We definitely need to find a quality backup PF someplace.

savvy move. sund is showing he's a professional. he didn't give away our ground with Chillz or Smoove. If Josh gets no better than he is today, we won't regret that contract. the bench is starting to look like a real teams bench too. woody should have no excuses this year and jj can shut up about needing vets.

I was more excited about Flip Murry when I first read that we'd signed him than I am now after I just checked his stats. I remember there was that one first-half of the season when he was in Seattle and (I think) Ray Allen was hurt, and he came in and scored a bunch of points. That was the last I really thought of him, so I thought he'd be a much better shooter than he is. I guess he'll help us, but I'll miss the effeciency of Chills.

• Premium Member
Flip is a good scorer and gives us more depth off the bench. The one thing that this tells me is Sund and Woody don't think Speedy will be healthy enough to play this year.

Yep. That's what I'm thinking, too.

• Premium Member

A couple of my thoughts:

1. I called the signing of a combo guard before Sekou. If he's reading this, he needs to know it. :)

2. Flip Murray is not so much of a role player as he is "insurance." He's a volume scorer who needs the ball in his hands. He's going to be most valuable to the Hawks in case of an injury to Joe or Marvin because he can replace some of the scoring load. Contrast this with Evans, whose best use is as a role player.

3. You needed a veteran. Murray is about as good as you're going to get. I would've preferred Juan Dixon, but Flip is cool with me.

4. You can be certain that one of Claxton, Bibby, and Law will be injured at all times, so there will be minutes. And, even if they're not injured, none of them can play the 2 in a pinch. Murray can.

5. I believe Sund was GM when Murray exploded onto the scene in Seattle a few years back. He should know him well.

Now it's time to add a veteran center, and my vote is still for Voskuhl - someone who has good character, enough bulk/size, and doesn't mind being more of a mentor than a major contributor.

I think you've also set up one heck of a battle for the 5th wing spot between Mario West, Jeremy Richardson, and Thomas Gardner. May the best scrub win.

Edited by ifthenwouldi

• Premium Member
4. You can be certain that one of Claxton, Bibby, and Law will be injured at all times, so there will be minutes. And, even if they're not injured, none of them can play the 2 in a pinch. Murray can.

There's some logic to that, but I still have trouble imagining the team carrying 4 guys whose primary position is the point.

Maybe there's a deal out there for Speedy... after all, as we all know, there are certain teams that are particularly interested in contracts that expire in 2010.

Murray looks to me to be what Salim might have become....

Mr. H I respectfully disagree. Murray leaves a lot to be desired as a player but he does something that we desperately need which is create his own shot consistently. Joe and Josh are the only guys who ever have isolations run for them. Its possible Marv could but for a variety of reasons, we very rarely iso him and when we do he usually doesn't make a strong move. Bibby doesn't do it in the half court either, he'll pump a J off a screen but he isn't taking guys off the dribble.

Acie would be the most logical candidate but he has yet to show that he's ready so Murray is the man. He's a mediocre jump shooter and not a great finisher but he can certainly get to the hoop.

It's a good pick up. Gardner (if he can defend) can have Jeremy's uniform. Flip got Mario's.

I do believe Joe will log minutes at the 3. In fact he may end his career as a 3.

The more I think of it, he will bring swagger also. The guy has an edge.

Exactly, I love this signing...wanted us to sign him a couple years ago...with Flip and Mo this brings some toughness to this team....which is much needed.

• Premium Member
Ugh, I hate to say this, but I don't like this signing at all. It's kind of like bringing Salim back.

What I see is that our coaching staff/GM doesn't trust either Law to develop or Speedy to be able to play... Plus they're getting ready for the trade of Bibby.

Cheap teams trade high money players in their last year. That's what will become of Bibby...unless he proves to be "THE MAN"... even then, we will still consider what the market will give for him because he's just too much to resign.