• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

hawks add flip

lawman

I was more excited about Flip Murry when I first read that we'd signed him than I am now after I just checked his stats. I remember there was that one first-half of the season when he was in Seattle and (I think) Ray Allen was hurt, and he came in and scored a bunch of points. That was the last I really thought of him, so I thought he'd be a much better shooter than he is. I guess he'll help us, but I'll miss the effeciency of Chills.

Murray is a guy who breaks people down off the dribble and gets to the basket. He isn't a shooter.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not very excited by this, but for the contract I can't complain. Flip is basically a poor man's Ricky Davis without the range or size that Davis has. They're both players who can score but don't really contribute to winning.

It's crazy to say this isn't a good pick up. We're not talking about giving him Speedy[s salary. We have so much more depth than last year. No doubt about it.

Raises two other question:

1. Wonder if they think Speedy is done?

2. Gives me some hope that he may yet sign a big.

??

so i guess signing one of the greatest shooters in college basketball history and probably would be our best shooter, a former lottery pick, and a guy who was not been given a chance yet is a waste then your right. Both guys are undersized for their positions so I would take a guy who at least brings a skill to the team we dont have. Redick would do that.
Redick could not even get minutes over Bogans (a 2nd round pick), probably because he's a one-dimensional system player who can't miss in pregame warm-ups.

It's crazy to say this isn't a good pick up. We're not talking about giving him Speedy[s salary. We have so much more depth than last year. No doubt about it.

Raises two other question:

1. Wonder if they think Speedy is done?

2. Gives me some hope that he may yet sign a big.

??

most def. agree...nice pick up...flip isn't a star by any means, but I like him coming off the bench and doing some damage...hopefully he can replicate this at some point...

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Edited by Mr. C

Now it's time to add a veteran center, and my vote is still for Voskuhl - someone who has good character, enough bulk/size, and doesn't mind being more of a mentor than a major contributor.

One thing I have always liked about the Hawks recently is that we have good character guys. No one pulls a Ruben Patterson and has trouble in the legal sense. Now I don't know too much about Flip, but for some reason I think there was something about him that went wrong legally? I could be wrong, but if there was some legal troubles for him then I am a little disappointed. I definitely like the aspect of the Hawks that we don't have bad apples, but maybe someone could correct me about Flip? Did he have any problems? If not then good, I like the aspect of us being an upstanding team with 0 legal problems (aside from our owners).

One thing I have always liked about the Hawks recently is that we have good character guys. No one pulls a Ruben Patterson and has trouble in the legal sense. Now I don't know too much about Flip, but for some reason I think there was something about him that went wrong legally? I could be wrong, but if there was some legal troubles for him then I am a little disappointed. I definitely like the aspect of the Hawks that we don't have bad apples, but maybe someone could correct me about Flip? Did he have any problems? If not then good, I like the aspect of us being an upstanding team with 0 legal problems (aside from our owners).

Alot of guys have issues that never get published. Some guys make mistakes and everybody knows about them. The thing I welcome is the toughness from Mo and Flip. You have competitors that will not shrink. It helps Josh, Marvin, Zaza, Solo and hopefully Law. They need to address the shrinkish tendencies. Al, Joe, Bibs and Speedy, don't shrink.

Alot of guys have issues that never get published. Some guys make mistakes and everybody knows about them. The thing I welcome is the toughness from Mo and Flip. You have competitors that will not shrink. It helps Josh, Marvin, Zaza, Solo and hopefully Law. They need to address the shrinkish tendencies. Al, Joe, Bibs and Speedy, don't shrink.

I guess its hard for Speedy to "shrink" as he is watching on the bench in a suit or from his living room.

I thought I remembered something also but did a few searches and couldn't find anything...Though many thousands of Murrays seem to get arrested according to Google..lol

All and all I like this move. This is the kind of signing that will win us a game or 2 as he gets hot off the bench.

I guess its hard for Speedy to "shrink" as he is watching on the bench in a suit or from his living room.

Sure he can. Speedy has a guaranteed contract if he plays or retires (as he has injured). To shrink would be to not rehab, to not fight injury and remain in the fold. Sure he could have shrunk, but it is not his nature. Speedy wants it and I hope he gets it.