• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Challenge for Diesel

Admin

Diesel, I am officially requesting that lay down the stats (ppg, rpg, per, ??) whatever that you would define as being a successful season for Marvin. The reason I am asking this is because I'd hate to see Marvin come out and get x/x next year and have you still call him a bust. So here it is D, your chance to prove that you aren't blindly hating on Marvin by giving him a measurable goal to achieve.

Diesel, I am officially requesting that lay down the stats (ppg, rpg, per, ??) whatever that you would define as being a successful season for Marvin. The reason I am asking this is because I'd hate to see Marvin come out and get x/x next year and have you still call him a bust. So here it is D, your chance to prove that you aren't blindly hating on Marvin by giving him a measurable goal to achieve.

Amen, again I say Amen.

I'll guess his answer will be 30.8ppg, 12.5rpg and 11.4apg.

So you assume Diesel will actually take the challenge? I don't think he will since that will force him to define the limits of his hatred of Marvin and I'm just not sure he's ready to accept that just yet.

• Premium Member

So you assume Diesel will actually take the challenge? I don't think he will since that will force him to define the limits of his hatred of Marvin and I'm just not sure he's ready to accept that just yet.

Let him continue to churn out Marvin bust threads! He and the rest of the lynch mob can continue to hate on Marvin. They all will be called out if Marvin turns the corner this season.

• Premium Member

I don't think statistics are the end all and be all... I look at impact... and Marvin makes no impact.

However, if it will give us a standard...

I will use Luol Deng. In his fourth year, he had a down year. His team had a down year. However, these are the terms:

1. Like Deng, Marvin should be the third option on this team.

Marvin's statline should follow this:

Season ▾ Age Tm Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

2007-08 22 CHI NBA 63 59 33.8 6.8 14.2 .479 0.1 0.3 .364 3.2 4.2 .770 2.2 4.1 6.3 2.5 0.9 0.5 1.9 1.9 17.0

That's 17.0 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.5apg 47.9% from the field and 36.4% from three.

If Luol Deng (who is not an allstar Sf and had a down year in his fourth season) can manage this... Then a Marvin Williams who is healthy and looking to cash in on his contract should be able to do the same! Not to mention Marvin was picked ahead of Paul and Deron... There must have been a reason.

Challenge Accepted!

Edited by Diesel

Glad to see that you have accepted the challenge. Other than asking Marvin to all of the sudden shoot the 3 almost as well as JJ being highly unrealistic I would say that those numbers are very fair.

Guest Walter

Damn...this guy says he has built his weight up, running sprints to get faster with his added weight, and working on shooting the three and all some want to focus on is the fact he is taking some classes.

If MW EVER matches Deron's, Paul's, or even Bynum's per48 stats of this year (example TENDEX per48 31.36, 38.09, and 35.02 respectively), then I will no longer criticize MW. That means EVER. Youth is no excuse. Bynum is younger than MW. MW is currently at 19.87! 19.87!!!! And that is BY FAR his best season although he has shown little statistical improvement since he started despite having the starting job handed to him. I feel safe in asserting that in MW's career he will never have a year even as good as Deron's 3rd year statistically. You want sad. That's sad. He'll never have as high of a Roland Rating (+4.3). Right now MW has a (-2.6)! He'll never have as high of a EFF as Deron's 3rd year 24.00. Never.

I'm not even comparing MW to Deron, I'm comparing MW's best year over his entire career to Deron's, Paul's, or Bynum's 3rd year. MW will never even come within 10% of any of these overall statistics. Not ever. Never. Is that clear enough?

And a large reason for that is the first 6-8 seasons of his NBA career MW will be more focused upon the degree he purposefully left behind than the career he chose. There is NO way around that. MW wasn't far enough along skill-set-wise, maturity-wise, to afford himself the luxury of immediately returning to and focusing on school.

W

And a large reason for that is the first 6-8 seasons of his NBA career MW will be more focused upon the degree he purposefully left behind than the career he chose. There is NO way around that. MW wasn't far enough along skill-set-wise, maturity-wise, to afford himself the luxury of immediately returning to and focusing on school. W

:beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: Is it dead yet?

And a large reason for that is the first 6-8 seasons of his NBA career MW will be more focused upon the degree he purposefully left behind than the career he chose. There is NO way around that. MW wasn't far enough along skill-set-wise, maturity-wise, to afford himself the luxury of immediately returning to and focusing on school. W

Uh, thanks for hijacking the thread meant for Diesel and apparently including a post from another thread as your motivation. In response to you however, if Marvin has really bulked up to whatever weight he says he is at now and is down to 7% body fat don't you think it's a little short sighted to claim that he is more focused on his degree than his career? If he were really more focused on his degree he would be taking more classes, not bulking up, cutting down his body fat percentage, and working on his 3pt range. I swear the level that some of you will go to in blindly hating the man just blows me away.

Guest Walter

Uh, thanks for hijacking the thread meant for Diesel and apparently including a post from another thread as your motivation. In response to you however, if Marvin has really bulked up to whatever weight he says he is at now and is down to 7% body fat don't you think it's a little short sighted to claim that he is more focused on his degree than his career? If he were really more focused on his degree he would be taking more classes, not bulking up, cutting down his body fat percentage, and working on his 3pt range. I swear the level that some of you will go to in blindly hating the man just blows me away.

IIf you want a post specificially meant for Diesel then start a Diesel forum. Notably, you did not chide anyone else for posting in "Diesel's thread". How illuminating. Wonder why. BTW, I had 3.7% body fat and weighed 205 at 6' at the age of 22. That doesn't make you a better baller. Oh, and the fact that MW is working on his 3pt shooting is great but doesn't the answer seem a little silly. JS worked with the game's greats and MW is working on his 3pt shot with Mays. Great.FACT: There is NOTHING blind about the statistics I demonstrated. You asked for stats. I gave them to you. You are the one obviously blind to them and unable to address them even though you asked for them. W

I

If you want a post specificially meant for Diesel then start a Diesel forum. Notably, you did not chide anyone else for posting in "Diesel's thread". How illuminating. Wonder why.

BTW, I had 3.7% body fat and weighed 205 at 6' at the age of 22. That doesn't make you a better baller. Oh, and the fact that MW is working on his 3pt shooting is great but doesn't the answer seem a little silly. JS worked with the game's greats and MW is working on his 3pt shot with Mays. Great.

FACT: There is NOTHING blind about the statistics I demonstrated. You asked for stats. I gave them to you. You are the one obviously blind to them and unable to address them even though you asked for them.

W

I highly doubt that you ever get illuminated by anything but your own posts ... but the reason I "chided" you is because you apparently quote a post from some other thread and used that as your basis to respond and go off on your MW in school tangent. If you want to talk about illuminating, well it's quite illuminating that in a thread that specifically requested Diesel to put up a stat line you come charging in and bringing up his offseason education which clearly shows your agenda against him.

FACT: Yes, I asked for stats. I asked DIESEL for stats. I addressed Diesel's stats, did you miss that?

I'd like to put my stamp of approval on these measurables. I think that this is a reasonable statistical contribution from Marvin, one that we should expect from him if he continues to progress like he should.While I also think the 3-ball % is a little lofty, I do expect Marvin to incorporate it into his game and to shoot it at >30%, considering that I expect most of his attempts to come from dribble penetration-kickouts where he will be taking a wide-open shot. I would also expect him to get plenty of open opportunities from deep early in the season, until he proves he can knock it down consistently.Considering further that Chillz will not be around to share minutes with, these are very reasonable numbers. Congrats Dies, I think you just took the first step on the Road to Healing. Edited by jhay610

Isn't the answer: Better then Chris Paul or Deron Williams?