• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We should trade Smoove during the Offseason.

Diesel

A young player who will add to this team. Maybe a Bosh or an Amare?

First of all there is no point in trading Smith for either guy unless they agree to resign here. Also there is the question as to whether the owners would be willing to pay what is necesary to resign him.

Also both players are better off at the 4 so we would most likely have to trade Horford to accomodate them, getting some size at C.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
First of all there is no point in trading Smith for either guy unless they agree to resign here. Also there is the question as to whether the owners would be willing to pay what is necesary to resign him.

Also both players are better off at the 4 so we would most likely have to trade Horford to accomodate them, getting some size at C.

I'm trying not to be so specific because it's unknown right now what will turn up. The point is that whoever we trade Smoove for should be a player of allstar quality otherwise we shouldn't do it. That doesn't change the agendaman stuff that you do. I.E. kill Horf. Now that Chillz is gone, is Horf your new target. Do we have to look forward to stat after stat showing the ineffectiveness of Horf by per... Such as Horf is not as good as __________ on day following rain in the visiting teams home city... blah blah blah blah.

Your problem has always been that you look at this as a group of individuals. The winning part of the Hawks is not it's individual play, for I'm sure you can put any one player in the grinder and find something wrong with his game. The best part about the Hawks is that when we play as a unit, we're really good. I don't think that is represented in Stats.

A young player who will add to this team. Maybe a Bosh or an Amare?

I wouldn't mind a Smith for Bosh at all, with the caveat that Bosh has to sign an extension. However, Bosh doesn't solve a lot of problems the Hawks have:

1) Hawks would still lack a big center. Ex's point that Horford just has an awful time against the big guys in the NBA is a valid point.

2) Since someone else on the team would have to go with Smith to make salaries match, this kills the little bit of team depth. This could be over come by resigning Childress.

3) The Hawks cannot send a 1st round pick in any deal.

If you look at the Hawks problems: depth and size (and coaching), they just can't trade their first rounders for the next two years. This team is in desperate need of depth. Given the ownership situation and the CBA, the draft is really the only way to build quality depth for a financially strapped team like the Hawks.

I'm trying not to be so specific because it's unknown right now what will turn up. The point is that whoever we trade Smoove for should be a player of allstar quality otherwise we shouldn't do it. That doesn't change the agendaman stuff that you do. I.E. kill Horf. Now that Chillz is gone, is Horf your new target. Do we have to look forward to stat after stat showing the ineffectiveness of Horf by per... Such as Horf is not as good as __________ on day following rain in the visiting teams home city... blah blah blah blah.

Your problem has always been that you look at this as a group of individuals. The winning part of the Hawks is not it's individual play, for I'm sure you can put any one player in the grinder and find something wrong with his game. The best part about the Hawks is that when we play as a unit, we're really good. I don't think that is represented in Stats.

I am not the one starting trade threads about every player (except Chillz and Horf of course).

Funny you accusing me of putting a player through a grinder when you have been trashing Marvin from day 1.

• Premium Member
I am not the one starting trade threads about every player (except Chillz and Horf of course).

Funny you accusing me of putting a player through a grinder when you have been trashing Marvin from day 1.

No, you're just the one suggesting that we trade Horf every opportunity possible. Last I checked, Horf is a young Pf/C who does a good job within our team concept. My point about Smith is... and I will say it again.. If our plans are to extend Marvin, we need to think about trading Smith. If we trade Smith, it should be for Allstar calibre player. Therefore, all of your mumbo jumbo about what Horf can't do in the absence of Smith is just nonesense. You're ignoring the fact that we plan to get something out of the deal--Which is what I pointed out to you before.

No, you're just the one suggesting that we trade Horf every opportunity possible. Last I checked, Horf is a young Pf/C who does a good job within our team concept. My point about Smith is... and I will say it again.. If our plans are to extend Marvin, we need to think about trading Smith. If we trade Smith, it should be for Allstar calibre player. Therefore, all of your mumbo jumbo about what Horf can't do in the absence of Smith is just nonesense. You're ignoring the fact that we plan to get something out of the deal--Which is what I pointed out to you before.

Now i know where you are going with this. So resigning Marvin is going to cost us Smith? Sure thing Agendaman.

Do you still have your old costume or did you make a new one?

• Premium Member
Now i know where you are going with this. So resigning Marvin is going to cost us Smith? Sure thing Agendaman.

Do you still have your old costume or did you make a new one?

Resigning Marvin locks up the Sf position. Eventually, we will get another big. Moreover, if Smoove continues to act like a Sf, then his utility to us is null. But opps... I expected you to be logical... not to be one to try and change the subject.

So once again... As I said before...

If we trade Smith, it should be for Allstar calibre player. Therefore, all of your mumbo jumbo about what Horf can't do in the absence of Smith is just nonsense. You're ignoring the fact that we plan to get something out of the deal--Which is what I pointed out to you before.

Resigning Marvin locks up the Sf position. Eventually, we will get another big. Moreover, if Smoove continues to act like a Sf, then his utility to us is null. But opps... I expected you to be logical... not to be one to try and change the subject.

So once again... As I said before...

Smith isn't acting like a 3. offensively he has played more like a 4 than ever which is why his shooting percentage is 48.4% in spite of his 3 pt attempts. That is far better than Harrington ever shot here.

But no matter how often he posts up successfully and no matter how high his shooting percetage is you will still cling to the belief that he is trying to play like a 3. You are nothing if not consistent Agendaman.

WE should trade Joe , Marvin and Bibby 2.. Heck let's start all over AGAIN!!!.....

Suggesting that we trade Josh Smith is equivalent to trading away everyone and starting all over again to you? Wow! Some here may undervalue Smoove but you're overvaluing him 100 fold with that analogy.

• Premium Member

We have all known for 1.5 years that one of Horford, Smith, or Marvin would have to go.

But, and if I've said this once I've said it a million times, there's no rush to trade one of them yet. As long as Horford is on his rookie contract, you can afford to keep all three.

IOW, let's have this discussion of trading one in two years. For now, let them grow.

Well said Diesel...

Some of the most statistically impressive players have never won championships...it's a team game. Horford and Marvin both seem to be team players and should definitely be part of our future. I like Smith but he certainly hurts the team sometimes. I would actually hate to see Smith on another team simply because of his shot blocking and 'one-dimensional' defense; but, if we did trade him, I would like to see Tayshuan Prince in his place (not as a pf though).

I think we really need a vocal team leader. Bibby isn't bad, but i get the feeling JJ is supposed to be that guy...but he's not.

• Moderators
2) Since someone else on the team would have to go with Smith to make salaries match, this kills the little bit of team depth. This could be over come by resigning Childress.

If Toronto sees the writing on the wall this summer that Bosh is gone, a Smoove + Speedy for Bosh + filler might be a great deal for both sides. Speedy is cheap with the insurance $$ and makes trade filler. Including someone like Law (assuming Woody stays) could also make sense. If we aren't going to play someone and they are valued elsewhere, that is a good trade ala Diaw.

Hell we should have put together a package for vince. We could have sent Speedy, Marvin and Zaza and a 2011 first. All NJ wants to do is clear cap room ifor 2010 and they would have cleared it. Our bench woud have been crap but we would make an exciting run in the playoffs.

Bibby

VC

JJ

Smoove

Horford

I would prefer a big if we were to trade Josh Smith. Trading for Vince would still leave us with far too little bigs to be comfortable with if we want to make a run in the playoffs.

Al Horford

Zaza Pachulia

...Solomon Jones?

I would prefer a big if we were to trade Josh Smith. Trading for Vince would still leave us with far too little bigs to be comfortable with if we want to make a run in the playoffs.

Al Horford

Zaza Pachulia

...Solomon Jones?

I have come to the realization that the only way this organization will commit to big is to draft them. So if we are going to be an imperfect team lets at least make our starting 5 be lights out. Vince just has the killer instinct that Joe doesn't. Vince would have put a fire under the team..and the fan base.

I have been lurking for the past couple of months and here is what I think:

J.J. is the same player he's always been just more targeted by peers.

Marvin did exactly what I said he would do and make the leap to being the second best player on the team.

Bibby was much better for us this season, we need him but not as bad as he needs us.

Josh Smith defense is what bothers me, his offense is where I expected. I still believe he would shine in the 6th man role. Like players with his characteristics i.e. Manu and AK-47

Horford is better this year, in fact a lot better. The other NBA Centers have realized that he just can't guard bigger players. He should be playing at the PF spot. Karl Malone had this same problem, not everyone can be Tim Duncan. He has no problems with Centers defending him it just that he can't defend them.

This team needs a Center, badly I might add. A defensive minded Center or high energy starter type like Kaman.

I agree with ATF with the fact that no one on this team will be a star but we have three potential All star types, one an All Star and the other is a quality PG. Here is some ideas that we could use.

1. Trade for a Center who has starting talent.

2. Hire a offensive minded coach to assist and teach offense. Woody great on D but poor on offense, he needs someone to balance him out.

3. Make Joe #1, Marvin #2, and Horford #3 options on offense. This would further the development of Marv and AH. Bibby and Smith will take advised shots.

4. We don't have the talent for now but move Smith to the bench in a 6th man role. He need more impact from the bench. The production is solid but the impact is weak.

5. Do not fire Woody. I agree the guy can't coach on offense but his defensive sets and willingness to say what the truth and not sugarcoating is what these group of guys need. He is great for our players. His rotations suck but mainly he needs his type of players. Acie isn't his type of guy.

Edited by nbasuperstar40