• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Josh and the 3pt shot be a good thing?

hawkman

• Premium Member
so just disregard all the shots that he has made at at 40% clip and higher which is in 2 areas around the perimeter...and the last 5 games is just unbelievable and the last 10 games is above average...last 10 games is 8-18 from 3 and the last 5 games is 8-14 from 3 pt...I'll take "let him continue to improve his shot going into the playoffs" for 2,000 Alex

The one thing I love about Smoove is his ability to disregard criticism and continue to develop his game. If he listened to all of the people saying, "he can't do this, he can't do that", he would be out of the league by now. Instead he takes that criticsm and continues to improve and push his game as far as it can go. There was a time when the majority around here didn't want Josh to be a "dunker" or some nonsense like that. Now he gets criticized for expanding his game, whether it be dribbling or shooting. But Josh needs those things to compensate for the things he doesn't have at the PF spot. And this team needs him to do those things in order for the Hawks to be successful. All I'm concerned about is his shot selection and decision making on the break, but he's already made tremendous improvement in those areas since his rookie year.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I love about Smoove is his ability to disregard criticism and continue to develop his game. If he listened to all of the people saying, "he can't do this, he can't do that", he would be out of the league by now.

So you think he would be out of the league if he didn't try to lead the break and shoot 3s?

There was a time when the majority around here didn't want Josh to be a "dunker" or some nonsense like that.

When was this? You'll have to post a link for this using the search engine. I sure don't remember it.

If anything most here with Smith looked to dunk more often like he did his rookie year.

Edited by exodus

Since you didn't answer the question i will ask it again.

What is Smith's current shooting range?

He doesn't have a current "range" he is defining it as we speak...so sit back and be a witness

Edited by SmooveHawksFan

He doesn't have a current "range" he is defining it as we speak...so sit back and be a witness

If he doesn't have a current range then how can he extend it?

Bottom line is that the numbers don't lie. Smith has been in the league 5 years and his current range is roughly 5 feet, give or take a foot.

If he doesn't have a current range then how can he extend it?

Bottom line is that the numbers don't lie. Smith has been in the league 5 years and his current range is roughly 5 feet, give or take a foot.

He doesn't have a current "range" he is defining it as we speak...so sit back and be a witness...and the previous 3 years he rarely took a three pointer and now figures to devlelop his game to extend it to the perimeter...so what about the +40% he has been shooting the last 10 games in those two areas from the perimeter....disregard those huh? and disregard the fact that Mark Price is publicly and in practice working with Smoove on his jumper for more consistency and better form, (more arch)...pay attention :snowballfight:

He doesn't have a current "range" he is defining it as we speak...so sit back and be a witness...and the previous 3 years he rarely took a three pointer :

He took 361 threes over the previous three seasons and you accuse me of disgregarding his last 10 games?

:nono:

He took 361 threes over the previous three seasons and you accuse me of disgregarding his last 10 games?

:nono:

lol :angel19: You got me there but honestly I meant his first three seasons when it was stated that he was going to be nothing but a dunker...in a previous post, you asked when was this stated, it was right after he won the dunk contest. Now he is trying to work on his game...Hawks fans should know that he has a GREAT work ethic, it's his attitude, maturity, and decision making that he needs to work on....the statement about the last 10 games is that Mark Price has been working with him, maybe it's finally paying off and in the nick of time

Edited by SmooveHawksFan

You know what. This dude Smoove is not going to stop shooting these dam threes. Man i just hope he gets better and not just these last 2 games. Ive come to realize this. Woodson isnt going to do anything about it so. I hope he can also practices midrange and ball handling this summer.

I have not seen how he has improved his game. I think his game has taken a step back from last season.

The only reason his ppg is lower this season is because for some reason he can't make free throws.

In terms of offense it's very obvious how much he's improved. His FG% is at a career high and his turnovers are lower than they've been since he started receiving 30+ minutes per game over 4 years ago. He has obviously developed some post moves and his turnaround hook is becoming a weapon. His eFG% on jumpers has also increased by 4%.

1 out of 2 from 3pt land. Sometimes things get waaaaaaaay blown out of proportion here.

Not the quote of the day, but the obvious statement in this post. 1.3 attempts, whether heavily guarded or not, at the end of 24 or not, isn't an issue so you can't compare stats here. The stats don't amount to anything. The better discussion would be how he would perform given a real offensive scheme. . ..

Exodus,

There is a number you quit ignoring. You can state 300+ 3's in 3 years and 300 sounds like a lot. I've eaten breakfast over 12000 times in my life and that sounds like a lot. But I eat breakfast less than 1 time a day. Does that mean I'm always hanging around the breakfast table looking for scraps. NO!

For his career Josh has averaged 33 minutes a game and has averaged 1.3. 3 point attempts a game. He's shot 27 percent for his career which is the same as shooting 40.5% from 2 for his career. It's a non issue. 1.3 attempts per game for his career is a non issue. That's 4 attempts ever 3 games...in 105 minutes on the floor, 4 attempts. It's a non issue. 4 shots in over 105 minutes. I should say it over and over again until that sinks in. The Hawks average 20.1 3 attempts a game. He shoots 1.3 per game. It's a non issue.

It might be an issue for you, but not for most everyone including Woody since we are continuing to see plays called for him to shoot jumpers.

Exodus,

There is a number you quit ignoring. You can state 300+ 3's in 3 years and 300 sounds like a lot. I've eaten breakfast over 12000 times in my life and that sounds like a lot. But I eat breakfast less than 1 time a day. Does that mean I'm always hanging around the breakfast table looking for scraps. NO!

It amazes me that you can't see the big issue. For every 3 that Smith takes there will be several times when he is standing behind the line and doesn't get the ball or gets it and doesn't take a 3. When he is standing behind the line:

-the defense doesn't have to guard him, letting them focus on other guys.

-he isn't getting offensive rebounds, part of the reason why he averages only 7.3 rebounds per game.

-he isn't moving without the ball to get easy looks inside. Childress used to excel at this.

-when he does get the ball he is farther from the basket, making it tougher to drive.

Do you really think that Smith attempts a 3 every time he sets foot behind the line?

There is nothing good that comes from Smith standing behind the line. When he is standing behind the line he is doing exactly what the other team wants.

Edited by exodus

It amazes me that you can't see the big issue. For every 3 that Smith takes there will be several times when he is standing behind the line and doesn't get the ball or gets it and doesn't take a 3. When he is standing behind the line:

-he isn't getting offensive rebounds, part of the reason why he averages only 7.3 rebounds per game.

-he isn't moving without the ball to get easy looks inside. Childress used to excel at this.

-when he does get the ball he is farther from the basket, making it tougher to drive.

Do you really think that Smith attempts a 3 every time he sets foot behind the line?

There is nothing good that comes from Smith standing behind the line. When he is standing behind the line he is doing exactly what the other team wants.

great post.

Except for the occassional 3 points, right?

Except for the occassional 3 points, right?

Not even Smith is going to miss them all.

Last year Tim Duncan hit a 3 to win a playoff game at the buzzer against the Suns. I saw Eddy Curry do the same thing once in a regular season game. Anyone can make 3s occassionally.

Not even Smith is going to miss them all.

Last year Tim Duncan hit a 3 to win a playoff game at the buzzer against the Suns. I saw Eddy Curry do the same thing once in a regular season game. Anyone can make 3s occassionally.

That was good for the Spurs right? So to answer the topic question, yes Smoove and the 3 pt shot "could" be a good thing right?