• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Josh and the 3pt shot be a good thing?

hawkman

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

The play was called last night for Josh to take a three point shot. He hit the shot.

Bet that was one of the few times that has happened - - ever. But, the fact remains,

he made the shot.

When an opponent gets burned on a play like this, do you suppose they think that

this was good on their part? Everyone wants to see Josh develop his jump shot,

only if it is taken from inside the three point line. Why?

Josh is not a guard. He does not have great skills associated with a guard. He is

not a great dribbler. When he is in the open court and handeling the ball, we hold

our breath, expectring the turnover. It happens. Yet, we see him drawing the defense

and sometimes he ends up with an easy assist. It's part of his game.

Sometimes Josh takes a desperation three as the clock is running out. Sometimes

he takes an untimely three. Sometimes he throws up a brick from the three. He is

the only Hawk that ever does that, isn't he.

Josh MUST be part of the overall offense of the Hawks. He must be allowed to score

on a regular basis. If he misses two or three of his three point attempt in the flow

of the game, we all shrug it off and say, that's just Josh being Josh.

Yet, here he is, making some of these treys. What happens? Instead of being happy

that he is scoring from outside, everyone seems to be getting their drawers in a wad

and saying that this should not be.

I'm happy with him taking the three point shot and hitting it. I wouldn't be happy

if he suddenly decided that he was a great three point shooter and attempted

ten or fifteen a game from outside. Nope. I don't believe Josh would be happy

with that himself doing this.

The three has become part of his overall game. This is good. Gives all our opponents

something else to worry about. It opens up the inside for others to score. Can Josh

scoring from outside be a good thing? I believe so.

:snowballfight:

Josh made 10 of 14 free throw attempts tonight. Do you know how to get 14 free throw attempts in a game? Yeah that's right. Standing at the 3 point line

LOL @ using the Bucks game as an example. He had Charlie V on him who couldn't guard a chair.

Do you know how many other games this year Smith has taken 14 or more foul shots? Exactly one. Smith has taken double figure foul shots 5 times all season.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member
It's somewhat silly...obviously ex and cap are off the mark. They don't seem to understand things and they want everything (reality-wise) to back up their pre-conceived notions.

I have to agree with this post. Unfortunately, nobody ever admits to being wrong or slightly off the mark even when they see the proof. That's probably why this thread will go on and on. But I stick by my original post. Smoove extending his range can very well be a good thing for this team.

LOL @ using the Bucks game as an example. He had Charlie V on him who couldn't guard a chair.

Do you know how many other games this year Smith has taken 14 or more foul shots? Exactly one. Smith has taken double figure foul shots 5 times all season.

And how many double figure foul shots has Joe taken all season...and he not only touches the ball EVERY series (as he should) but he has the ball for at least 12-15 seconds every series (as he should not)...Joe rarely gets to the line and he shoots all the tec shots...what about Horford, how many double figure foul shots has he taken all season....and he STAYS in the paint for the rebounds and putbacks, which should convert to easy buckets or FTs

Just sayin'...if you gonna criticize, do it constructively and not negatively, compare his stats that you are spewing with teammates if they are team stats and other players of his caliber if they are individual stats :conversation:

And how many double figure foul shots has Joe taken all season...and he not only touches the ball EVERY series (as he should) but he has the ball for at least 12-15 seconds every series (as he should not)...Joe rarely gets to the line and he shoots all the tec shots

JJ is a perimeter player who lacks athleticism. Smith is a PF that has great athleticism. I am not seeing the connection.

Sure JJ dribbles too much but that is a separate issue.

what about Horford, how many double figure foul shots has he taken all season

I have been criticizing Horford for the last two years for his refusal to try and beat guys off the dribble.

I have to agree with this post. Unfortunately, nobody ever admits to being wrong or slightly off the mark even when they see the proof. That's probably why this thread will go on and on. But I stick by my original post. Smoove extending his range can very well be a good thing for this team.

I agree also. As Gray Mule pointed out, when Josh was missing, everyone was like that's just Josh being Josh, but now that he is making them, people are critcizing him for makign them, thinking that he will continue to look for the 3 and shoot...here's a secret....he has already been doing that, why do you think he continued to shoot them while he was missing!! Let's just be happy he is making them now. And the more people leave him open the more he will make and the more they will have to repsect that shot. Players didn't initially respect Rasheed's 3 pt shot

JJ is a perimeter player who lacks athleticism. Smith is a PF that has great athleticism. I am not seeing the connection.

JJ doesn't lack athleticism, he has a very quick first step, that's how he beat guys off the dribble, good footwork, he lacks explosive hops, which isn't the only aspect of athleticism

Sure JJ dribbles too much but that is a separate issue.

I have been criticizing Horford for the last two years for his refusal to try and beat guys off the dribble.

I wouldn't ask Horford to try and beat too many people off the dribble...what I would ask him to do is to master the hook because he has a wide body for defenders to block his shot with his body shielding the shot....they would have to go through him to block it (foul) or time it perfectly, and I would ask him to pump fake and head fake, espcecially since his mid-range game is increasing, also should try the pick and roll with him

I agree also. As Gray Mule pointed out, when Josh was missing, everyone was like that's just Josh being Josh, but now that he is making them, people are critcizing him for makign them, thinking that he will continue to look for the 3 and shoot...here's a secret....he has already been doing that, why do you think he continued to shoot them while he was missing!! Let's just be happy he is making them now. And the more people leave him open the more he will make and the more they will have to repsect that shot. Players didn't initially respect Rasheed's 3 pt shot

Sheed is a far better shooter than Smith. Smith has taken twice as many 3s as Sheed did during his first 5 seasons. Sheed's big problem for years has been hanging out at the 3 pt line instead of being in the post where he belongs and is much more successful.

Sheed's career average of 6.9 rebounds per game is similar to Smith's 7.3 rebounds per game this year. Hard to get rebounds at the 3 pt line.

Sheed is a far better shooter than Smith. Smith has taken twice as many 3s as Sheed did during his first 5 seasons. Sheed's big problem for years has been hanging out at the 3 pt line instead of being in the post where he belongs and is much more successful.

Sheed's career average of 6.9 rebounds per game is similar to Smith's 7.3 rebounds per game this year. Hard to get rebounds at the 3 pt line.

My point exactly. Sheed wasn't known as a 3 pt shooter. He is still pretty successful at them though. I also think that he should post up quite a bit more, he's 7 ft, for goodness sake...Smoove is only 6'9 but he is still trying to develop a post game and has come a long way....just needs to learn a little touch around the basket, but his 3 pt shot has improved and the more he works on it, the better off the Hawks will be, and he doesn't just hang out at the 3 pt line, he does get in the post and mix it up a bit...he must makes them in practice for Woodson to run a play for Smoove for a 3 pt shot and for shooting coach Mark Price to work with him on it before games, after games, and during practice...somebody on the team must've taken notice

Edited by SmooveHawksFan

Sheed is also a 6'11 PF/C. Smoove is a 6'9 PF/SF. So the fact that he has taken more 3's than him but still averages more rebounds only makes Smoove look that much better.

People need to stop making Smith out as if he is a true PF. Thats never been the case. Even at 6'9 he is UNDERSIZED for the position yet his athleticism helps him. He is not a banger, never has been. We are trying to turn a HS wing player into an NBA PF and its worked so far. Thing is, he still has some wing skills. His jumpers isnt gorgeous, he does brick sometimes, but when they fall, its all the much sweeter.

The only thing he needs to improve on is making smarter decisions in his OVERALL game, not just shooting 3's. That only comes with good ole experience. TRIAL and ERROR.

By the way everyone...... we won the last 2 games, were 11 games over .500. Be happy for cryin out loud

I never understood why big men want to play like guards. s*** Smoove and I need to switch body heights and he can play the 1 or 2 all dayum day.

He is 6'9 and athletic as hell and wants to play 22ft from the basket, why??? People think thats a good idea. We are already undersized with our front court.

Its no use trying to explain it.

I never understood why big men want to play like guards. s*** Smoove and I need to switch body heights and he can play the 1 or 2 all dayum day.

He is 6'9 and athletic as hell and wants to play 22ft from the basket, why??? People think thats a good idea. We are already undersized with our front court.

Its no use trying to explain it.

And I guess it's no use trying to explain why try to turn a 6'9 average built PF into a 6'10-7 ft banging PF...he is not a banger...he uses his athleticism, he takes defenders to the hole, he jumps over people, he does a hook from time to time, he shoots perimeter shots....he TRIES to use everything in his arsenal...and like it or not, he has decided to extended his range to the 3 pt line as part of his arsenal, and I don't mind it, same thing David West has done

And I guess it's no use trying to explain why try to turn a 6'9 average built PF into a 6'10-7 ft banging PF...he is not a banger...he uses his athleticism, he takes defenders to the hole, he jumps over people, he does a hook from time to time, he shoots perimeter shots....he TRIES to use everything in his arsenal...and like it or not, he has decided to extended his range

I don't understand this "extend his range" business. Smith can't shoot from 10 feet, 12 feet, 15 feet, 18 feet or 20 feet. He can't even make foul shots. His range is 5 feet and in. If he wants to extend his range then he should work on making shots from 10-15 feet.

I don't understand this "extend his range" business. Smith can't shoot from 10 feet, 12 feet, 15 feet, 18 feet or 20 feet. He can't even make foul shots. His range is 5 feet and in. If he wants to extend his range then he should work on making shots from 10-15 feet.

Touche`, so he just shouldn't shoot at all...just rebound and dunk and block shots...wonder how effective he would be then since he can only shoot from 5 ft in...nice thought

So you disagree? Take a look at Smiths hotspots and tell me what his current shooting range is.

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

so just disregard all the shots that he has made at at 40% clip and higher which is in 2 areas around the perimeter...and the last 5 games is just unbelievable and the last 10 games is above average...last 10 games is 8-18 from 3 and the last 5 games is 8-14 from 3 pt...I'll take "let him continue to improve his shot going into the playoffs" for 2,000 Alex

BTW...check out Bibby with same criteria...WOW!! Hate Much?!?

Edited by SmooveHawksFan

so just disregard all the shots that he has made at at 40% clip and higher which is in 2 areas around the perimeter...and the last 5 games is just unbelievable and the last 10 games is above average...last 10 games is 8-18 from 3 and the last 5 games is 8-14 from 3 pt...I'll take "let him continue to improve his shot going into the playoffs" for 2,000 Alex

BTW...check out Bibby with same criteria...WOW!! Hate Much?!?

Since you didn't answer the question i will ask it again.

What is Smith's current shooting range?