• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Josh and the 3pt shot be a good thing?

hawkman

• Premium Member

I know that this is a controversial topic around here, but Josh has actually looked REALLY good shooting the three the last two games. The Stinger said tonite that he is still developing into what he will become in the future and that when he plays how he plays tonight, he looks like an All Star caliber player. He talked about him having "unique" abilities at the PF spot which include his outside shooting. Of course, I don't want to see him camp out at the 3pt line full time, but it looks like him developing his all around game makes him a weapon that few teams can cover. Josh has made a living out of defying his critics and naysayers when it comes to the limitations of his game and he has become a better player because of it. I hope his recent three point shooting can be another example of that. Heck, if he's going to take them, he might as well make them.

Edited by hawkman

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
I know that this is a controversial topic around here, but Josh has actually looked REALLY good shooting the three the last two games. The Stinger said tonite that he is still developing into what he will become in the future and that when he plays how he plays tonight, he looks like an All Star caliber player. He talked about him having "unique" abilities at the PF spot which include his outside shooting. Of course, I don't want to see him camp out at the 3pt line full time, but it looks like him developing his all around game makes him a weapon that few teams can cover. Josh has made a living out of defying his critics and naysayers when it comes to the limitations of his game and he has become a better player because of it. I hope his recent three point shooting can be another example of that. Heck, if he's going to take them, he might as well make them.

NO!!!! We were doing a lot better with him down trying to get rebounds and playing inside then staying out on the perimeter. He should not be taking 3 pointers at all. He has been taking them lately at inappropriate times too. They went in tonight and last week he went 2 -4 but him taking these shots is a trend I am not happy with.

• Premium Member
NO!!!! We were doing a lot better with him down trying to get rebounds and playing inside then staying out on the perimeter. He should not be taking 3 pointers at all. He has been taking them lately at inappropriate times too. They went in tonight and last week he went 2 -4 but him taking these shots is a trend I am not happy with.

...even if he's making them at a pretty good clip?

...even if he's making them at a pretty good clip?

I call BS on that Cap....nothing against hawkman...If he's making them....well guess what....he's making them. Those are just NBA statistics...doesn't matter what you think....flat statistics....go make some shots and block some shots

Edited by DJlaysitup

A three point shot was called for Smoove after a timeout. So his teammates and the coaches believe in him shooting from out there. I have no problem with him shooting it. His shot hurts no worse, than the ones Joe and Bibby have been throwing up there. Hell, I trust him shooting over them..at the moment.

Oh Horse sh!t capstone...you know you are wrong and I do too....well guess what pal...he made em and we won the game. That's life in the big city pall Smoove made the shots...we won the game......that's just the way it is....

Edited by DJlaysitup

Oh Horse sh!t capstone...you know you are wrong and I do too....well guess what pal...he made em and we won the game. That's life in the big city pall Smoove made the shots...we won the game......that's just the way it is....

Simmer down DJ ... or put the bottle(s) down at least.

Why does our power forward want to shoot 3s? Who is going to the get the rebounds when he misses? We are already undersized and when our PF is taking 3 point shots without a dominate rebounder in the paint we are going to killed on the rebounds.

He doesnt hit the 3 at a good clip. I wish he would work on the 3 during the offseason and then come trying to shoot instead of trying to develop a shot during the season.

If the 3 is to become a bigger part of his game, then he needs to move to SF. It's evident that with him on the outside, playing PF, we are at a disadvantage on the boards.

With Marvin out (a big SF that can slide inside and board), it seems like even worse strategy. I'm not surprised to hear that Woodson is designing plays to give Smoove 3 attempts; all the while, leaving the inside at Horford against two or three NBA bigs.

Why does our power forward want to shoot 3s? Who is going to the get the rebounds when he misses? We are already undersized and when our PF is taking 3 point shots without a dominate rebounder in the paint we are going to killed on the rebounds.

He doesnt hit the 3 at a good clip. I wish he would work on the 3 during the offseason and then come trying to shoot instead of trying to develop a shot during the season.

Exactly.

I'd much rather see Josh get offensive rebounds and put them back in the hole, than shooting 3's. Instead of a decent 3 point shooter, how about concentrating on grrabbing 10 -12 boards a game.

um so u think he doesn't work on his 3 pt. shot during the offseason? seriously?

1) If a three pointer is made, it's made. And guess what? It counts for three points on the scoreboard.

2) Horrid offensive philosophy to leave your PF outside and ask a PF playing C to out rebound multiple NBA bigs.

3) If a player's hot, you can afford to ride it until the fire cools.

My point is that you can leave Josh out there and let him rain threes while he's hitting them consistently. However, that shouldn't be an every play affair because he should be crashing the boards. Maybe we'll figure out the best way to run this team when we get a coach that can wrap his mind around the word "offense". I believe in the addage that "defense wins championships", but when you don't look that hot on D you better have some semblance of an offensive plan.

• Premium Member
1) If a three pointer is made, it's made. And guess what? It counts for three points on the scoreboard.

2) Horrid offensive philosophy to leave your PF outside and ask a PF playing C to out rebound multiple NBA bigs.

3) If a player's hot, you can afford to ride it until the fire cools.

My point is that you can leave Josh out there and let him rain threes while he's hitting them consistently. However, that shouldn't be an every play affair because he should be crashing the boards. Maybe we'll figure out the best way to run this team when we get a coach that can wrap his mind around the word "offense". I believe in the addage that "defense wins championships", but when you don't look that hot on D you better have some semblance of an offensive plan.

It scares me man! The nimbers don't lie. Last night was merely an aberration and should not be used to give Josh green light to take that shot. The good teams go with what gives them the best chance of winning. Sure Josh can have a good night every now and then but the nimbers suggest that he's more likely to shoot an air ball.

I agree Nine, but if a player is hot then you can throw out the numbers. I say let him go again tonight and we can see if he can even qualify as "hot". Bottom line though, when our opponent has a big we will NEED him to rebound.

The reality is that Josh is really working on that facet of his game. The papers and commentators regularly speak about how he and Mark Price get together before and after games to work on his jumper. then he goes and works with Hakeem and Calvin Murphy in the offseason to add more dimensions to his game as well.

Most of the great forwards went through this stage; and they were better for it. Karl Malone couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his jumper when he first hit the league, but it becae a deadly tool for him after a few years of launching bricks. Barkley (although not as bad) was similar. Even 'Nique wasn't considered a great jumpshoooter when he entered the league. the 3 point shot was not a part of his game at all, but he developed it. Modern day forwards like David West went through the same thing (with a lot of their development in college).

Josh's jumper will get better because he works on it. By the time that he's 27-28, it will probably be a pretty deadly part of his game because of his effort to master it. We'r just observing the growing pains. At this stage there will be some great nights, and others will stink. We just need Josh to excerise wisdom when he's having an off night.

Edited by tomac

• Admin

Whatever, you watch this is really going to be bad in the long run.

Smith will be taking more 3 pointers now and in the playoffs (and at inappropriate times) and they will start clanging off the rim or backboard.

I don't care if he made a few ... he should be concentrating on rebounding, boxing out for once and free throws. He should not be shooting 5 three pointers in a game...making them or not.

• Premium Member
The reality is that Josh is really working on that facet of his game. The papers and commentators regularly speak about how he and Mark Price get together before and after games to work on his jumper. then he goes and works with Hakeem and Calvin Murphy in the offseason to add more dimensions to his game as well.

Most of the great forwards went through this stage; and they were better for it. Karl Malone couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his jumper when he first hit the league, but it becae a deadly tool for him after a few years of launching bricks. Barkley (although not as bad) was similar. Even 'Nique wasn't considered a great jumpshoooter when he entered the league. the 3 point shot was not a part of his game at all, but he developed it. Modern day forwards like David West went through the same thing (with a lot of their development in college).

Josh's jumper will get better because he works on it. By the time that he's 27-28, it will probably be a pretty deadly part of his game because of his effort to master it. We'r just observing the growing pains. At this stage there will be some great nights, and others will stink. We just need Josh to excerise wisdom when he's having an off night.

Now I fully agree with this post. Let the guy develop his game. We really can't be sure what the guy can be if he continues to develop. All I know is I really like the player I've seen these last two games and I'm not going to let the "all or nothing" mentality around here deter me from that opinion. Derrick Coleman was a pretty nice 3pt shooter and he was able to keep his rebounding up. He was looked at as a versatile power forward and the same terminology can apply to Josh. I think it's all about taking those shots at the right time and in the right situation.

Well, I'm sure he's been working on the 3's and if he continues to improve it can't hurt. It will only benefit the Hawks if he moves over to SF next year and can shoot from the perimeter.

I think the problem he's having right now is that he hesitates before taking the shot. He surveys the court to find himself wide open, then it takes him a while to decide if he should or drive the basket. By the time he's made up his mind everyone is looking at him anticipating the drive so he doesn't go that route. At the same time he's taken so long to shoot that he's out of rhythm and misses. Most of the 3's he made last night were in rhythm where he caught the ball and shot it right away.

Edited by ATLSmith