• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Josh Childress return to NBA?

JTB

I would love to see childress comeback this year but my only question is that if he does return for next season is he a free agent or do we hold rights for his contract cause I heard we do if he was to return to the nba.

does anyone know any info on this? cause it would be great to see childress along with murray and evans coming off the bench!!!

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=predictions09/nba

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
is he a free agent or do we hold rights for his contract cause I heard we do if he was to return to the nba.

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?p...edictions09/nba

We hold the rights to Josh Childress in that he is a restricted free agent. He can sign with any team...we have the right to match.

I would love to see childress comeback this year but my only question is that if he does return for next season is he a free agent or do we hold rights for his contract cause I heard we do if he was to return to the nba.

does anyone know any info on this? cause it would be great to see childress along with murray and evans coming off the bench!!!

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=predictions09/nba

I see Josh back as a Hawk and I see him welcomed. I also see Acie and Speedy moved to accomodate Josh's contract. We will sign Bibs,Zaza and Flip while drafting at least two points for training camp foils. The core 9 will be intact. Solo will be invited if he does not sign somewhere.

He's a Hawk.

I just dont see JC back with us with Mo, Marv & Murray all on the roster as well... Its gonna be hard to get mins at the 2 or 3 spots especially with JJ getting 40 and Marv getting 35... I also think getting JC back will definitely push Murray as the primary back up 1 to give him some minutes

I just dont see JC back with us with Mo, Marv & Murray all on the roster as well... Its gonna be hard to get mins at the 2 or 3 spots especially with JJ getting 40 and Marv getting 35... I also think getting JC back will definitely push Murray as the primary back up 1 to give him some minutes

Yeah, this sounds about right. Its just an opportunity cost question. We'll definitely want to resign Murray and Mo is under contract for another year (and quite frankly, I like what Mo brings to the table for his price more than what Chil brings for his) and those two would take up the same minutes at the 1-2-3 as Chil while still leaving us without a real backup point guard or 4th big man.

• Premium Member

I'd welcome the guy back. He's a part of what was started 5 seasons ago and it only seems right for him to be here while we're having success. That's the one thing missing from the Playoff experience this season, watching "afro-man" running the break and catching alleys from Bibs.

Childress will want too much money (5 million or more) for the Hawks to pay him that considering his minutes will be limited IMO. Then again that's only mid-level exception money.

I look at it like this. If the Hawks take out Miami and makes some noise against Cleveland Vet FAs that have collected their big money already over their career may start looking at Atlanta. If that's the case I don't see a place for Childress.

One more thing. I really don't get the Childress infatuation. He's gone. The Hawks are better this year without him. The team improved by 10 wins during the regular season year over year. They just embarassed the Heat.

Forget Childress. The Hawks don't need him.

• Premium Member
Childress will want too much money (5 million or more) for the Hawks to pay him that considering his minutes will be limited IMO. Then again that's only mid-level exception money.

I look at it like this. If the Hawks take out Miami and makes some noise against Cleveland Vet FAs that have collected their big money already over their career may start looking at Atlanta. If that's the case I don't see a place for Childress.

One more thing. I really don't get the Childress infatuation. He's gone. The Hawks are better this year without him. The team improved by 10 wins during the regular season year over year. They just embarassed the Heat.

That's true, but it's not a good example of addition by subtraction. Childress can only add depth and help this team. He was versatile and didn't need the ball to make plays. Do we NEED him? Maybe not. Do you WANT a guy like Childress on the team? CERTAINLY!

I agree 100%.

Sund got Flip and Murry both for around $5 mill all together this year. Chillz wanted like $8 or $9 mill and he is not worth that price tag.

That money could be better spent else where at positions where we actually have a need.

Now that the U.S. economy has turned South, Chillz may be in Europe for while unless he wants a major pay cut.

I'd use him as a sign and trade to get a an athletic Big with high potential, (like a JaVale McGee, Andray Blatche, DeAndre Jordan, Hilton Armstrong, Johan Petro or Mohammed Sane), an athletice combo guard or wing who can bring energy (like Shannon Brown or Gerald Greene), or just a late 1st or early second. Anything we can get for him would be better than nothing.

I'd use him as a sign and trade to get a an athletic Big with high potential, (like a JaVale McGee, Andray Blatche, DeAndre Jordan, Hilton Armstrong, Johan Petro or Mohammed Sane), an athletice combo guard or wing who can bring energy (like Shannon Brown or Gerald Greene), or just a late 1st or early second. Anything we can get for him would be better than nothing.

Hilton Armstrong may be the worst center in basketball...

I loved Childress and the Fro but once he showed he wasn't loyal to us by leaving, I felt no obligation to re-sign him in the event that he returns. I think we need to keep Mo Evans who we have on the cheap and who serves the same role Childress did, and use the money it would take to re-sign Childress somewhere else. We should use his rights as an asset to either get a player or move up in the draft.

• Premium Member

The same guys crying about giving Childress 5-6 Million will be willing to pay Marvin 9-10 million. Childress was more productive and Versatile than Marvin while he was here and since he's been a leader in the Euroleague, he's probably going to be a lot better when he comes back.

• Premium Member
I loved Childress and the Fro but once he showed he wasn't loyal to us by leaving, I felt no obligation to re-sign him in the event that he returns. I think we need to keep Mo Evans who we have on the cheap and who serves the same role Childress did, and use the money it would take to re-sign Childress somewhere else. We should use his rights as an asset to either get a player or move up in the draft.

Loyalty has limits.

Childress is trying to deal with Sund and Sund is saying wait and all the options are drying up and it's already known that We only have so much money to spend and we're waiting to match a Josh Smith deal?? Remember, Josh Smith didn't get signed until late in the offseason. We would have had Chillz on the line until that point and more than likely we probably would not have resigned him. Childress was not disloyal, he made a good business move. Moreover, we have Mo Evans on the cheap because he doesn't give us nothing. Evans is about the biggest do nothing player on our team. Rio gives us more. Flip on the other hand is just the opposite. Chilz/Flip Is better than Mo/Flip.

The same guys crying about giving Childress 5-6 Million will be willing to pay Marvin 9-10 million. Childress was more productive and Versatile than Marvin while he was here and since he's been a leader in the Euroleague, he's probably going to be a lot better when he comes back.

I haven't looked it up but I'd be willing to bet Marvin is better in nearly every statistical category this year than Chilz ever was. Not sure how Chilz was ever "more versatile" when Marvin is now better than Chilz in every meaningful way. You may have had an argument last year but I guess your hate blinders for the man hasn't let you see what he has finally started to become...A very good player (and it's about time).

• Premium Member
I haven't looked it up but I'd be willing to bet Marvin is better in nearly every statistical category this year than Chilz ever was. Not sure how Chilz was ever "more versatile" when Marvin is now better than Chilz in every meaningful way. You may have had an argument last year but I guess your hate blinders for the man hasn't let you see what he has finally started to become...A very good player (and it's about time).

When you look at both players per 40 minutes, I think Chillz last year outclassed Marvin in each category except 3 pt shooting. Moreover, I don't see how anybody could quickly forget Chillz +58% shooting.