• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin's Offseason

Swatguy

I believe this is a critical offseason not only for a contract but developement.

I think Marvin's number one priority should be his body.

He shall be in the weight room 3-4 times a week.

He shall address agility training (Ballet, speed drills, ladder drills) 3 times a week.

He shall allow a chiro to treat and adjust the back twice a week.

He Shall watch Videos of Danny Granger, Brandon Roy and LJB once a week each.

Check with me Marvin in July for your vacation (you get 18 days) regiment.

Edited by Swatguy

I believe this is a critical offseason not only for a contract but developement.

He shall address agility training (Ballet, speed drills, ladder drills) 3 times a week.

Marvin = the wrong pick

• Premium Member

Ballet? Ha! Seriously though, Marv does need better balance out there when driving the ball, and if ballet helps, so be it. But Marv's limitations aren't necessarily physical as much as mental. He just doesn't have the mentality of a Granger, Roy, etc. But that won't stop him from being a really nice Small Forward for us though.

Marvin has had four years to get himself together. Unfortunately, his days in Atlanta are numbered.

And as someone suggested earlier, its more mental than physical with Marvin...

Bobby Knightmare isnt here to protect his sacred cow anymore.

Marvin will probably be taking classes at UNC and working out some. Don't forget the video games I am sure he'll put in time to be the best nintendo player he can be. Thats the difference between a Lebron type and a Marvin.Lebron/Kobe live and breath basketball 24 hrs a day and Marvin has other priorities.

Even though many are critical and skeptical about Marvin , I am still convinced that he'll continue his steady development...

OK, you're right when you say that he needs to address issues in refference to his physical condition which would make him a more capable player, able to utilize his talents...

...but let's be fair to him and realize that year in and year out he has shown steady progress and he is still very young.

Someone said Marvin should watch videos of LBJ, Roy and Granger... well, I partially agree, because all the great players study each others, pick their games apart, copy the strenghts and exploit the weaknesses ... but the difference between those guys and Marvin is that Marvin was never given an opportunity to be number 1 option on offense... many will argue that Marvin never deserved it, but he was a high draft pick, and you expect high draft picks to be given a shot to showcase their talents... yet, he was constantly 3-4 option... still found ways to produce...

...and finally, I know that all of us have hard time getting over passing on CP3, but that was not Marvin's fault, and he should not carry that load on his shoulders!

Hawks need to re-sign him and give him more responsibilities and I'm sure he'll answer that call!

Marvin will probably be taking classes at UNC and working out some. Don't forget the video games I am sure he'll put in time to be the best nintendo player he can be. Thats the difference between a Lebron type and a Marvin.Lebron/Kobe live and breath basketball 24 hrs a day and Marvin has other priorities.

Are you his gaming buddy?

Even though many are critical and skeptical about Marvin , I am still convinced that he'll continue his steady development...

OK, you're right when you say that he needs to address issues in refference to his physical condition which would make him a more capable player, able to utilize his talents...

...but let's be fair to him and realize that year in and year out he has shown steady progress and he is still very young.

Someone said Marvin should watch videos of LBJ, Roy and Granger... well, I partially agree, because all the great players study each others, pick their games apart, copy the strenghts and exploit the weaknesses ... but the difference between those guys and Marvin is that Marvin was never given an opportunity to be number 1 option on offense... many will argue that Marvin never deserved it, but he was a high draft pick, and you expect high draft picks to be given a shot to showcase their talents... yet, he was constantly 3-4 option... still found ways to produce...

...and finally, I know that all of us have hard time getting over passing on CP3, but that was not Marvin's fault, and he should not carry that load on his shoulders!

Hawks need to re-sign him and give him more responsibilities and I'm sure he'll answer that call!

I am of the belief that Marvin in a structured offense would be a nightmare to deal with for opposing teams. Give him screens to curl off of, and have him make hard cuts to the basket and you have a very productive player.

Marvin's main problem is that he wants to fit into the scheme, he's just too coachable. I tell you guys, if you put a little Marvin in Smith and a little Smith in Marvin and those two would dominate the the league.

• Premium Member

Marvin is a good third scoring option but he's probably going to want too much to stay. I just can't see Sund investing the kind of money into him that Knight would as Marvin was always his special project. Marvin added a three point shot last offseason, the problem as someone else mentioned is that his mentality is not what you want from a second pick in the draft. He just does not have that killer mentality, he does not want the ball in his hands in critical moments, he does not want to be a driving force in the offense. He's very content to just be a cog in an offense, a kind of reliable third scoring option.

Marvin is a good third scoring option but he's probably going to want too much to stay. I just can't see Sund investing the kind of money into him that Knight would as Marvin was always his special project. Marvin added a three point shot last offseason, the problem as someone else mentioned is that his mentality is not what you want from a second pick in the draft. He just does not have that killer mentality, he does not want the ball in his hands in critical moments, he does not want to be a driving force in the offense. He's very content to just be a cog in an offense, a kind of reliable third scoring option.

Dude! Good to see you posting again! Hope you have healed up from your injuries last year.

It will be interesting to see what MW asks for and what other teams, if any, get involved in trying to acquire his services.

• Moderators

Give me a break. Some guys are more talented than others. You have no idea what these guys do in their free time. I'm not a huge fan of Marvin but i'd just soon he go to school than get arrested for rape.

To me Marvin's game should most resemble Paul Pierce as much as i dislike him.

• Premium Member
Dude! Good to see you posting again! Hope you have healed up from your injuries last year.

It will be interesting to see what MW asks for and what other teams, if any, get involved in trying to acquire his services.

Actually that was what two years ago I think but thanks, I'm doing well from that. :beer:

I don't see him being more than a MLE kind of player to be honest. Usually some team will be out there trying to offer a little more due to his youth but in this economy? I just can't see a team really ready to unload ten million or more a year on him.

Actually that was what two years ago I think but thanks, I'm doing well from that. :beer:

I don't see him being more than a MLE kind of player to be honest. Usually some team will be out there trying to offer a little more due to his youth but in this economy? I just can't see a team really ready to unload ten million or more a year on him.

Wow, time flies, but good that you are well.

Yes, your last statement makes me think that Marvin could be had at a reduced rate. Giving him 8/mil is too much, but what about 7? There is some threshold, but I am not sure where that is.

Frankly, I think the Hawks will end up moving one of Smith, Horford, or Marvin this offseason to gain some roster balance, either a bigger center (Kaman?) or a more polished player (Bosh).

Sund made a statement that makes me think he's already working on such a trade. The statement was something like, ~you have to give up depth sometimes to get a crticial piece~ In other words, do what Ainge did in Boston to accumulate, top tier vet players. The bench can then be developed by mixing them with top tier players.

... Marvin lacks killer mentality and he's content with his role because he's never been asked to do anything else... I agree that he's been too laid back and passive at times and that his personality is easy goin', but most of that comes from the fact that he is still very young... he's got skills that could turn him into 20ppg scorer... I can see him average 17-22 ppg, 7 rpg, with very good procentages in a year or two...

... Marvin lacks killer mentality and he's content with his role because he's never been asked to do anything else... I agree that he's been too laid back and passive at times and that his personality is easy goin', but most of that comes from the fact that he is still very young... he's got skills that could turn him into 20ppg scorer... I can see him average 17-22 ppg, 7 rpg, with very good procentages in a year or two...

Marvin won't sniff that kind of point production under Woody. Those are all-star type numbers. I don't see it in a year.

• Moderators
I am of the belief that Marvin in a structured offense would be a nightmare to deal with for opposing teams. Give him screens to curl off of, and have him make hard cuts to the basket and you have a very productive player.

Marvin's main problem is that he wants to fit into the scheme, he's just too coachable. I tell you guys, if you put a little Marvin in Smith and a little Smith in Marvin and those two would dominate the the league.

I don't know that I would go with "nightmare" but Marvin and Horford are the two players, IMO, who would quickly benefit the most from a move to a more structured offense. All the players would benefit but those two in particular would see their games develop. Smith would improve more by being more reigned in and through a few plays to take advantage of his talents and JJ would not have to carry so much burden and could get a few easy shots added through effective ball rotation, screens, etc.

I don't know that I would go with "nightmare" but Marvin and Horford are the two players, IMO, who would quickly benefit the most from a move to a more structured offense. All the players would benefit but those two in particular would see their games develop. Smith would improve more by being more reigned in and through a few plays to take advantage of his talents and JJ would not have to carry so much burden and could get a few easy shots added through effective ball rotation, screens, etc.

IDK, but I see that MW in a structured offense where he moves to spots that he likes to shoot from and the ball gets there on time would make him a highly efficient and effective scorer. Backdoor cuts for Marvin take advantage of his length and ability to get to the rim (and fouled). I thinking of him being used much like Hamilton when Detroit had it all working.

• Premium Member
Wow, time flies, but good that you are well.

Yes, your last statement makes me think that Marvin could be had at a reduced rate. Giving him 8/mil is too much, but what about 7? There is some threshold, but I am not sure where that is.

Frankly, I think the Hawks will end up moving one of Smith, Horford, or Marvin this offseason to gain some roster balance, either a bigger center (Kaman?) or a more polished player (Bosh).

Sund made a statement that makes me think he's already working on such a trade. The statement was something like, ~you have to give up depth sometimes to get a crticial piece~ In other words, do what Ainge did in Boston to accumulate, top tier vet players. The bench can then be developed by mixing them with top tier players.

I would definitely give up Marvin and something else if needed to get Kaman. He plays for the Clippers, I know, but when he's healthy he's exactly what you want from a center: he can score with his back to the basket, he can rebound, he can block shocks and he can effectively defend his position and not just be a weak side wonder (which sadly I think Smoove still is) that needs help to defend a true center.

• Premium Member

Actually, i see it differently. What you say could be true if:

1. Horf develops a goto move.

2. Marvin developed aggressiveness (which prolly won't happen).

I think the ones who would benefit the most from structure (especially with strong coaching and discipline behind it) is:

1. Smoove. If anybody can pull Josh in and make him play the PF position and teach him how to be a slasher when he needs to be... Smoove would automatcially jump to a 23-25 ppg player. He showed that he can shoot a high percentage this year. And that was with his need to shoot from outside. Establishing him inside would make him a hard guy to defend. Because you see alot of times Smoove making strong moves to the basket. IF those moves were scripted... say he was giving a back pick or him cutting to the basket... Do you know how much of a NIGHTMARE (this one is real) Smoove would be.

2. Joe. Yep Joe... Joe is a guy who needs structure. Take the ball out of Joe's hand on the iso. Allow Joe to work at the secondary scorer. That's his role. Kick out to Joe. Joe can either shoot for % or drive the lane for the floater. This is the thing to understand about Joe. He has handles. He has vision. He has a killer floater in the lane. AND he can shoot the three. Those are not the weapons of a primary ball handler. You're forcing him to do to much by making him the primary ball handler. Yes, he was our assists leader, but at what price? Jordan tried to play PG once. He was a 9 apg player. However, it was killing his regular game. Then he went out west and tim hardaway, John Stockton, and Gary Payton beat the bejesus out of him. Thing is that Jordan had to discover that he is better working off the ball. I think Joe would be too.

Now if Horf develops a goto move... and we get a PG, I feel for any team we play. The inside out game would be crazy.