• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking for a guard.

Diesel

free agent Point guard... that we can get.  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Everything is dependent on price and what you have to give up, but I'll give a shot at ranking these guys anyway:

[Note - Commentary in white. Do not read until you have voted.]

Kirk Hinrich (trade)

Jason Kidd (U)

Andre Miller (U)

Jarrett Jack ®

Sergio Rodriguez (trade) (because I don't see anyone getting him without paying a high price)

Raymond Felton ®

Mike Bibby (U)

Ramon Sessions (U)

Ronnie Price (U)

Other

Stephon Marbury (U)

Edited by AHF

Everything is dependent on price and what you have to give up, but I'll give a shot at ranking these guys anyway:

Kirk Hinrich (trade)

Jason Kidd (U)

Andre Miller (U)

Jarrett Jack ®

Sergio Rodriguez (trade) (because I don't see anyone getting him without paying a high price)

Raymond Felton ®

Mike Bibby (U)

Ramon Sessions (U)

Ronnie Price (U)

Other

Stephon Marbury (U)

Hinrich would be my #1 choice as well, but I don't see the Hawks having the correct ammunition to get him now. It would take Smith, but is that really the correct trade? Second, why would Chicago want Smith with Thomas there? Just some cold water on my own thoughts about how to get Kirk

Good list. Of course everything is dependent on price.

I would love to get old man Kidd in here to be our vocal veteran leader (just hate to have to sign him for more then 2 seasons). He would basically become the head coach for our offense. I know he is old but his defense is a little better then Bibby's and he can still get more out of our young fowards then almost any other PG on the planet. He would eliminate alot of JJ's iso plays. He may even get Smith to stop shooting 3's (doubtful). Kidd tutoring Law for his last 2 years under contract and or PG at #19 would be priceless.

If Bibby wants more then 3 years and $6 or $7 mill per he should go. His defensive liabilities really hurt us more then anything. He is a good shooter but when his shot is off he is pretty worthless. If we want to continue to run Woody's "JJ iso offense" then Bibby's shooting is needed but that is one sorry offense to rely on.

Jack and Hinrich would both be perimeter defensive upgrades and can create off the dribble better then Bibby. After those 2 I like Felton and Sessions.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I would love to get old man Kidd in here to be our vocal veteran leader (just hate to have to sign him for more then 2 seasons). He would basically become the head coach for our offense. I know he is old but his defense is a little better then Bibby's and he can still get more out of our young fowards then almost any other PG on the planet. He would eliminate alot of JJ's iso plays. He may even get Smith to stop shooting 3's (doubtful). Kidd tutoring Law for his last 2 years under contract and or PG at #19 would be priceless.

If Bibby wants more then 3 years and $6 or $7 mill per he should go. His defensive liabilities really hurt us more then anything. He is a good shooter but when his shot is off he is pretty worthless. If we want to continue to run Woody's "JJ iso offense" then Bibby's shooting is needed but that is one sorry offense to rely on.

Jack and Hinrich would both be perimeter defensive upgrades and can create off the dribble better then Bibby. After those 2 I like Felton and Sessions.

I like the idea of bringing in Kidd or Miller, but the more I ponder on that, the more I think, let's just bring ina really good assistant coach who can work with guards. Terry Porter for instance or Eric Snow?

I would really think about a guy like Ramon Sessions or Raymond Felton.

I like Sessions because as PGs go, he is a big guard, he plays defense but he's sorta a throwback. He's a pass first kinda dude. I like Felton simply because of speed and strength. Either guy would be great, I just think Sessions would be cheaper and I don't know if Milwaukee would match an offer if we shot him one. I mean, they do have Ridnour and a high draft pick.

• Moderators
I like the idea of bringing in Kidd or Miller, but the more I ponder on that, the more I think, let's just bring ina really good assistant coach who can work with guards. Terry Porter for instance or Eric Snow?

I would really think about a guy like Ramon Sessions or Raymond Felton.

I like Sessions because as PGs go, he is a big guard, he plays defense but he's sorta a throwback. He's a pass first kinda dude. I like Felton simply because of speed and strength. Either guy would be great, I just think Sessions would be cheaper and I don't know if Milwaukee would match an offer if we shot him one. I mean, they do have Ridnour and a high draft pick.

If that is true, Sessions moves up in my book. From what I have read on him, I assumed he was a zero D PG.

• Premium Member
If that is true, Sessions moves up in my book. From what I have read on him, I assumed he was a zero D PG.

Milwaukee is in an interesting situation. Thanks to your boy Redd, Gadzuric and Bogut.. they are way over the limit. Without Charlie V. and Sessions being on the books, their budget is at 66 Million.

So now, they are forced with the reality that they will lose either CV or Sessions.

If you read the thread above, you find some interesting takes... They are trying to find a trade to keep Sessions. This one made me smile...

I think ATL could be a decent option. They view themselves as contenders and may want veteran help to stay there. They are about to lose Bibby. If this draft has anything it is PGs. MIL could send Ridnour to ATL for nothing or if necessary Ridnour and the #10 to ATL for nothing. Ridnour is a serviceable PG vet and the #10 could be their PG of the future. MIL gets the cap space it needs to keep a player better than what we would probably get at #10 anyway.

Realize that the #10 pick is good enough to get you Maynor, Curry, or maybe even the guy out of UNC. This is how they feel about Sessions.

Then a guy busted the bubble...

Or Atlanta could just screw the Bucks and sign Sessions to a full MLE deal instead.

I think you can eliminate any team needing some kind of PG help as a potential trade partner. Kidd is probably gone and unless Dallas is fine with Jose Barea I could see them making a push for Sessions. Portland could dump Blake and add Sessions to their young and talented core.

My thought is that we ought to go after Sessions. I don't watch much of the Bucks I admit. I didn't watch a few games this year to see CV... Sessions is not bad. I think he has a little Chris Paul type game in him.

Either guy would be great, I just think Sessions would be cheaper and I don't know if Milwaukee would match an offer if we shot him one. I mean, they do have Ridnour and a high draft pick.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ramon_sessio...reer_stats.html

Sessions seems like he may be the easiest to court since he is unrestricted (b/c I guess he was a 2nd round pick). Miwaulkee has no right to match. His only draw back is he has no range at all. He was 17% on 3 point shooter on only 36 attempts in 79 games. With him on the team we would have to stop all the JJ iso "plays" b/c Sessions' man can leave him wide open to double JJ without fear of Sessions making them pay. He is a good defender and good penetrator off the dribble. I really like Sessions assist #'s for his 27 mpg, without Redd on the team for most of the year. Shows he is a natural distributor.

Sessions is basically the total opposite of Bibby. Sessions can do what Bibby can't and Bibby can do what Sessions can't. They would be a solid 1-2 punch as a PG duo.

I would have thought Acie Law would be a Sessions like player by now. Who know what Law could have displayed this year in Miwaulkee with only Luke Ridnour as competition. Oh well !

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ramon_sessio...reer_stats.html

Sessions seems like he may be the easiest to court since he is unrestricted (b/c I guess he was a 2nd round pick). Miwaulkee has no right to match. His only draw back is he has no range at all. He was 17% on 3 point shooter on only 36 attempts in 79 games. With him on the team we would have to stop all the JJ iso "plays" b/c Sessions' man can leave him wide open to doube JJ with no fear of Sessions making them pay. He is a good defender and good penetrator off the dribble. I really like Sessions assist #'s for his 27 mpg, without Redd on the team for most of the year. Shows he is a natural distributor.

Sessions is basically the total opposite of Bibby. Seesions can do what Bibby can't and Bibby can do what Sessions can't. They would be a solid 1-2 punch as a PG duo.

I would have thought Acie Law would be a Sessions like player by now. Oh well.

Sessions can definitely distribute which is the thing I like about him. He can also score the ball. I think he'd make our team a more modern team in that he's drive and dish. He can shoot but his range isn't 3 pt. He's more of a pull up jumper kinda guy.. from 16 feet in. As far as 3's go, he knows his limitations. He only shot 34 of them. If Bibby is willing to take a cheap contract, then he and Sessions would make a dangerous duo. But I wouldn't bring Bibby back simply because he plays no defense. I would consider bringing flip back before Bibby.

Sessions can rack up assist like crazy. He will have a decent shooting game here and there but 4 for 17 games arent too uncommon either. I have seen post from Bucks fans that say he can play d and Ive read alot of comments that say he is as bad or worse at D than Luke Rid. That scares me. I heard a Bucks columnist in an interview on tv last year swear the reason the Bucks wanted Luke to start and play alot of minutes was to hide Sessions so he didnt get a huge offer this summer.

i say jarrett jack or kirk hinrich. Both play good defense, both can shoot the 3, and can drive to the basket (well i know jack can drive to the basket, not sure about hinrich). anyways either one of those guys would be perfect for the hawks.

I just don't see the infatuation with Hinrich. He's not a true PG and he's the most anti-clutch player ever. He's a pretty good defender and shooter but again, not in clutch time.

My pick was Felton of the choices listed, with Sessions a close 2nd.

However, I'd much rather go after TJ Ford or make a play to get Jonny Flynn in the draft.

I just don't see the infatuation with Hinrich. He's not a true PG and he's the most anti-clutch player ever. He's a pretty good defender and shooter but again, not in clutch time.

My pick was Felton of the choices listed, with Sessions a close 2nd.

However, I'd much rather go after TJ Ford or make a play to get Jonny Flynn in the draft.

In order for the Hawks to be legit contenders they will have to be an elite defensive team. Boston was last year and the Cavs are now.

Hinrich is known as a tough defender. He is one of the few guys who can give Wade problems man to man. He also had a higher EFG% on his jumpers than Bibby. He has plenty of experience and would probably benefit greatly by playing next to JJ. Most likely he is the best pg we can get.

Edited by exodus

I would love to get old man Kidd in here to be our vocal veteran leader (just hate to have to sign him for more then 2 seasons). He would basically become the head coach for our offense. I know he is old but his defense is a little better then Bibby's

A little?

My #1 option would be to trade pick #19 and more pieces to move up to get Flynn, Lawson, or Maynor.

This draft is so deep at PG we can get our franchise PG for 10 years in this draft. Of course the ASG would have to fire Woody in order to tutor a rookie PG. All Woody would have them do is hand the ball to JJ for a clear out iso.............and we wonder why Law does not develope.

As much as we like Sessions........Woody would not know how to use him.

Please can Woody ! Our only hope of getting a dynamic PG is through the draft and he has shown he has no clue how to run an offense or groom a young PG. We can hold serve and bring in Jack or Hinrich. I would rather take a little risk then play it safe.

Edited by coachx

I agree with coachx above... this draft is weak at every position but PG, and many teams are cash-strapped and may be willing to move down to avoid the higher rookie contract. I like the three guys he mentioned... my order would be 1. Lawson, 2. Flynn, 3. Maynor), as well as Jrue Holiday and of course Jennings/Rubio likely out of reach.

The beauty of those three guys is that they are essentially Woody-proof (especially Lawson), in that they are already NBA-ready and NCAA winners (of course we thought this with Law, also, but...). If we can't make this happen (by giving up Acie, Marvin, or Bibby), my top two realistically would be Jarret Jack and Sergio Rodriguez, who are basically polar opposites of one another and might actually work well together. The problem is the Blazers are trying to package their depth to get a PG until Bayless is ready, and Sergio alone isn't good enough IMO. Sessions is solid, but he also has no range and, more importantly, is a mediocre defender (although certainly better than Bibby). I would take him in a heartbeat tho and let Bibby walk, then draft a PG for the future coach to develop. Maybe just as good, sign Andre Miller (who prob wants to go back West) to a short contract and let him teach the new PG (and Acie) until we get a real coach.

I also agree with coachx's last paragraph.... this team is going nowhere until Woody is gone. We've gotten this far on pure talent alone but b/c of our coaching deficiencies it's obvious that our ceiling is not very high -- even if we were healthy and had improved depth and roster balance....

Edited by dig

I voted Hinrich because I think he still has a lot of talent and it is very likely that he will thrive for his next team (think Nash moving teams at 30).

I also really like Sessions and Felton.

Another X Factor could be Monta Ellis. GS has a lot of problems right now and Ellis has not been thrilled about playing there.

What about a Sign and Trade with Marvin and Bibby for Ellis and Anthony Randolph (Randolph is gonna be a stud by the way).