• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Amare would like to be on the Hawks by his words

HawkItus

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has Horford done, to deserve to stay? I know we have to match salaries...but all things being equal, ship Al out....

exactly lol. he has done nothing..hell Marvin improved more this season than Al did.. who has no offensive game at all.. People can say what they want about Smoove.. but NO ONE on this team works harder than him every off season...

• Premium Member

I only have two issues with Amare, they haven't changed as he's gotten older and I don't think they will.

1. He's not a true low post scorer, he mainly looks for a jump shot or pick and rolls. We know we're keeping Woodson so the pick and roll is automatically eliminated as an offensive set.

2. The guy is one of the softest big men in the NBA. People like to talk bad about bigs like Dirk or Yao but those guys do put some effort in defense. Amare just doesn't give the effort level he needs to.

That being said of course he'd be a good fit here. We need another legit 20+ ppg guy besides Joe to take the pressure off.

• Premium Member
What has Horford done, to deserve to stay? I know we have to match salaries...but all things being equal, ship Al out....

I would trade Smith for Amare, not because of Horford, but because of Amare. Amare is a better help defender than man defender.

I don't listen to 95.5 so this is news to me ! If Amare wants to play the recording company game what better city is there to be in then Atlanta for his genre of music ? Maybe the Hawks can capitalize on that and get him to sign a reasonable extension..........starting at say $15 mill a year instead of $18 or $20 mill per starting out. He will not turn 27 until November.

Stoudemire and Horford would be true beast in the paint together. Talk about the ability to swith on defensive assignments without giving up a mismatch !

Stoudemire has a better mid range jumper them Smoove and does not even attempt all the ill advised 3's Smith tries. When he does attempt them he makes them at a better clip then Smith. He and Horford can both play the center position.........that in itself makes us a much better team.

I would LOVE to see this come to fruition ! Of course, like Bosh, an extension would have to be reached. One thing that worries me about him is his lack of rebounding given his skillset.

A couple of years ago the Suns were trying to get Smith, Marvin and the #3 pick (Horford) for Stoudemire. Thank goodness BK turned that deal down. Now maybe we can get him for Smith / #11 pick (Law) / and cap fillers.

Well actually coachx...I think a front line of Amare, Horford, Smoove would be the way to go. Scary inside D with those athletes. Of course it would take Sund being a wizard to get the trade done without using our best young asset. But if it could be pulled off we would be great at the 3-4-5...all runners. JJ is a star SG. All we need is a PG to run the show.

I'm not saying Bibby couldn't do it - but we can't pay him 10-12 million at this stage I don't think.

I only have two issues with Amare, they haven't changed as he's gotten older and I don't think they will.

1. He's not a true low post scorer, he mainly looks for a jump shot or pick and rolls. We know we're keeping Woodson so the pick and roll is automatically eliminated as an offensive set.

2. The guy is one of the softest big men in the NBA. People like to talk bad about bigs like Dirk or Yao but those guys do put some effort in defense. Amare just doesn't give the effort level he needs to.

That being said of course he'd be a good fit here. We need another legit 20+ ppg guy besides Joe to take the pressure off.

That in a nutshell describes both him and Bosh. Niether are true low post scorers yet people here are clamoring to replace our PFs with their PFs when what we need is a C.

That in a nutshell describes both him and Bosh. Niether are true low post scorers yet people here are clamoring to replace our PFs with their PFs when what we need is a C.

Well MaC...you find one and email Sund.

I tend to agree though - even an average+ athletic C would help our team a bunch.

Let's be honest about this - Howard has no real offensive skills outside of three feet - yet he is a game changer. Granted he has that superman body...but the Cavs will show that up shortly. The only real question IMO is whether the Cavs play the Lakers or the Nuggets. I would normally pick the Lakers in a walk - but Chauncey is a real force.

• Premium Member

Yes, Bosh probably has a slightly better jumper and Amare has slightly better low post skills but neither man likes to play in the low post and neither one likes playing center. I think we need to trade for a young center like Kaman who actually is a true center, rebounds, blocks and can score in the low post.

why not trade horford for amare? Horford hasn't dane anything to prove me he can be effective at the C than the PF. even before his ankle he wasnt doing much.

i don't mind people wanting to trade amare just to have amare(ATLJA316) but i have a problem when people act like horford is untouchable.

Edited by hoodstar

why not trade horford for amare? Horford hasn't dane anything to prove me he can be effective at the C than the PF. even before his ankle he wasnt doing much.

i don't mind people wanting to trade amare just to have amare(ATLJA316) but i have a problem when people act like horford is untouchable.

Well Hood - and no offense - but there is a good chance that the reason we can't trade Horford for Amare is that he is nowhere near as good of a player...

Edited by DJlaysitup

Yes, Bosh probably has a slightly better jumper and Amare has slightly better low post skills but neither man likes to play in the low post and neither one likes playing center. I think we need to trade for a young center like Kaman who actually is a true center, rebounds, blocks and can score in the low post.

Amen for that! Except I think Amare is very good at that elbow jumper. Especially in transition. Nice to see you back, soth.

Amare has issues but he is a legit star and i would trade Smith for him in a heartbeat. We would still need a defensive center to play with him but we need that anyway.

JOSH SMITH is going to make yall eat your words. All we need is Josh Childress, a legit 7 footer that can rebound is atheletic and has a low post game(ex.BJ Mullen),and to develop Law. Also keep JJ,Al Horford, Marvin Williams, Mike Bibby, Flip Murray, Zaza Pachulia, Solomon Jones, Mo Evans, Mario West (unless we can get Rudy Gay & Javoris Crittenton/Marc Gasol or Dwight Howard to pair with Josh Smith & Marvin Williams & maybe Randolph Morris). I'd think about keepin Othello Hunter & Thomas Gardner but that depends on our options.

I'm sayin this to say dat Billy Knight has created a monstrous young team dat is no where near it's peak(Josh Smith can develop a jump shot stand still and off da dribble and recommit to his hustle plays rebounds and defensive blocks, Marvin Williams can tone his skills and hav more of a leadership role with more confidence,Al Horford can continue becomin da beast we want so bad in Amare Stoudamire, JJ can always find a way to be productive and can work on his on & off da ball defense, Mike Bibby can become da coach on da floor and keep his shot consistent, Mario West can fill a Trevor Ariza type role with more defense and less offense,Solomon Jones can be a poor man's Josh Smith on Defense & Low Post scoring reboundin but will stay inside more like most would want Josh Smith to do, Flip can be Flip & Zaza can be Zaza(da one dat plays with fire) Acie Law can become dat offensive threat he was in college & work on gettin quicker hands on defense, Mo can work on being more aggressive on offense & defense and Josh Childress can fill in da blanks. He is a handy player dat can be da number 2 or 3 option or can be da 6th man).

Mike Woodson is not goin to play a young player who he does not feel like is ready to fit his system so unless we are willing to take a big gamble I would keep this core in take includin da young players who Woodson rarely plays because da more they develop with him and his concepts the better they will be in his system in latter years. Woodson is an evil genious but is stubborn. Place a new core in roles dat Acie Law , Solomon Jones, Randolph Morris could/would play and we will get da same results so why not keep our young guys until they and Woody can see eye to eye.

With Flip Murray, Josh Childress, Mo Evans, Zaza Pachulia, Law/Bibby competing for 6th man and people like Solo and Mario to look towards dats a deep & deadly bench. All in all BK has set da path for a great young successful NBA team and da challenge for our new GM "Rick Sund" is to hav faith in the gift he was left and help/let it develop. I'd be scared as an opposing team to hav to face this Hawks team in a few years if it stays in tack & continues to develop.

JOSH SMITH is going to make yall eat your words. All we need is Josh Childress, a legit 7 footer that can rebound is atheletic and has a low post game(ex.BJ Mullen),and to develop Law. Also keep JJ,Al Horford, Marvin Williams, Mike Bibby, Flip Murray, Zaza Pachulia, Solomon Jones, Mo Evans, Mario West (unless we can get Rudy Gay & Javoris Crittenton/Marc Gasol or Dwight Howard to pair with Josh Smith & Marvin Williams & maybe Randolph Morris). I'd think about keepin Othello Hunter & Thomas Gardner but that depends on our options.

I'm sayin this to say dat Billy Knight has created a monstrous young team dat is no where near it's peak(Josh Smith can develop a jump shot stand still and off da dribble and recommit to his hustle plays rebounds and defensive blocks, Marvin Williams can tone his skills and hav more of a leadership role with more confidence,Al Horford can continue becomin da beast we want so bad in Amare Stoudamire, JJ can always find a way to be productive and can work on his on & off da ball defense, Mike Bibby can become da coach on da floor and keep his shot consistent, Mario West can fill a Trevor Ariza type role with more defense and less offense,Solomon Jones can be a poor man's Josh Smith on Defense & Low Post scoring reboundin but will stay inside more like most would want Josh Smith to do, Flip can be Flip & Zaza can be Zaza(da one dat plays with fire) Acie Law can become dat offensive threat he was in college & work on gettin quicker hands on defense, Mo can work on being more aggressive on offense & defense and Josh Childress can fill in da blanks. He is a handy player dat can be da number 2 or 3 option or can be da 6th man).

Mike Woodson is not goin to play a young player who he does not feel like is ready to fit his system so unless we are willing to take a big gamble I would keep this core in take includin da young players who Woodson rarely plays because da more they develop with him and his concepts the better they will be in his system in latter years. Woodson is an evil genious but is stubborn. Place a new core in roles dat Acie Law , Solomon Jones, Randolph Morris could/would play and we will get da same results so why not keep our young guys until they and Woody can see eye to eye.

With Flip Murray, Josh Childress, Mo Evans, Zaza Pachulia, Law/Bibby competing for 6th man and people like Solo and Mario to look towards dats a deep & deadly bench. All in all BK has set da path for a great young successful NBA team and da challenge for our new GM "Rick Sund" is to hav faith in the gift he was left and help/let it develop. I'd be scared as an opposing team to hav to face this Hawks team in a few years if it stays in tack & continues to develop.

This was the best post I have ever read sillent....for entertainment purposes. "Solomon Jones can be a poor man's Josh Smith"....LOL yes a VERY POOR MAN - only problem is that he can't do ANYTHING like Smoove :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You are an obvious optimist - God Bless you - But you are clueless as far as what this team needs. Basketball is a 5 player game - 1 or 2 of which must be very good. Usually...best player wins (see 2009 NBA championship when CLE wins).

I hate to be picking on your points sillent...because you are mostly right. BUT - ZAZA and Flipper are real free agents. Marvin is not a game changer and Flipper will likely get a LLE or a solid piece of a MLE from another team...good for him.

Why we would want to re-sign Marvin? I have no clue.

Since Clippers have landed number one 1, why not just sign and trade MW for Kaman. He is signed for the next 3 years at about 11 per. If it doesn't go well this season, his trade value will still be high because of his contract, size, skill, and age. Perhaps sign and trade Chills and future first for Kaman.

I would still keep the starting FC as is, and work CK of the bench. If he reclaims his status from a couple years ago, it'll just have to be a straight up competition between Al and JS for PF but it's more than enough minutes for the three. They are both pretty foul prone. Bring in Matt Barnes for SF depth.

This is getting a tad silly either way. Either you want a strength-oriented team...with JS at the 3....or you want a speed team...with JS at the 4 - or you are willing to do it all right and go Amare-Horfod-Smoove......none of those situations get rid of Smoove. Marvin isn't a game changer and that's the problem. How do you save face and pitch a #2 draft pick for ??....well we did it for our #5 pick (Shelden)...so wtf?

Let Bibby go elsewhere...who cares what he gets.... -15M for our payroll.

Do we have to pay Marvin next year? Is an RFA like a player option?

Since Clippers have landed number one 1, why not just sign and trade MW for Kaman. He is signed for the next 3 years at about 11 per. If it doesn't go well this season, his trade value will still be high because of his contract, size, skill, and age. Perhaps sign and trade Chills and future first for Kaman.

The Clippers have no use for Marvin, they already have a better SF.

Edited by D.R.P.