• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress hints that he's had enough of European b-ball

sturt

• Premium Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-g...p&type=lgns

Panathinaikos wins Greek finals opener amid riot

By DEMETRIS NELLAS, Associated Press Writer

ATHENS, Greece (AP)—Panathinaikos beat archrival Olympiakos 69-67 in the opening game of the Greek League finals on Thursday, with riot police called to control fans inside and outside the arena.

Former Atlanta Hawks swingman Josh Childress(notes) had 23 points for Olympiakos, the home team.

“The violence we saw today, will make me think real hard over my future in Europe,” said Childress, who signed a 3-year deal worth $20 million with Olympiakos in July.

The game was interrupted for nearly 20 minutes with 1:25 to play and Panathinaikos leading 60-58.

Olympiakos fans threw a flare, plastic bottles and other items at Panathinaikos’ bench during a timeout, sending the players scampering for safety. A timekeeper was slightly injured and part of the bench and the surrounding court had severe burn marks.

Enraged fans were trying to storm the court and would not listen to the pleas of Olympiakos players for calm. Riot police moved in to contain the supporters. About 200 fans clashed with police after the game and even tried to storm the locker rooms and interview room where the coaches were meeting with the media.

Olympiakos guard Theodoros Papaloukas missed a layup at the buzzer that would have tied the game.

“This did not help the team at all … the moment you play and you have found a rhythm, you cannot stop because (of the violence) in the stands,” Childress said.

The second game in the best-of-five series will be at Panathinaikos’ home court on Monday.

Edited by sturt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I think all it ever was was a one year deal so that he could become a UFA. The thing is it looks like he can come back and be the starting Sf. I don't think Sund holds much hope for Marvin.

It was definitely 1yr situation all along IMO. Chilldress just wanted to chill over in Europe for a year and ball the F out. I'm almost 100% sure he will be back in the NBA next year. He could turn into a huge trading chip for us.

This was a forgone conclusion in December, no surprise here.

I think all it ever was was a one year deal so that he could become a UFA. The thing is it looks like he can come back and be the starting Sf. I don't think Sund holds much hope for Marvin.

1. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he's still a RFA since we hold his rights.

2. I think you mean DIESEL doesn't hold much hope for Marvin.

And back to the topic wow that is just craziness, I hope that the situation doesn't get any worse.

Well if all that garbage happened the other team's fans will be up and amped for the next game.

If CHillz thought his home arena was bad he's in for an education next game.

Listen from back when I was doing game threads on basically an every game basis you fellas know I gave Black Screech some love.

However, it ain't happening IMO unless Chillz accepts around MLE money.

So based in Diesel logic Marvin Williams is the reason why we didn't win the championship this year. SO if he is gone next year and we bring Chillz back we are a lock to win 69 games and go undefeated in the playoffs and win it all. Without Marvin, Bibby will be able to play defense, JJ will show up for every game, Smoove's BBIQ will surpass Magic Johnson's, Horf will average 20 and 15, and Woody will turn into Mike D'antoni. I forgot to mention based on Diesel's logic, Marvin Williams will go to a children's hospital the day before Christmas and tell all of the dying kids that Santa Claus isn't real.

Edited by Wurider05

Not really sure how you came to that conclusion. But, I hope not because Marvin is a lot better than Childress.

99% sure he is still a RFA as well. Also Marvin > Childress if for nothing else than his defense and 3 point ability. But one of them will definitely be traded this off season.

• Premium Member
2. I think you mean DIESEL doesn't hold much hope for Marvin.

I will let you read it for yourself and you can try to spin it anyway you want.

MB: Would you like to keep Marvin Williams?

RS: The one thing you have with free agency is that they hold some cards, too. I’ve never been one to predict anything that’s going to happen in free agency because you never know. What I do say is that I like the core of this club and I’d like to keep as much of this core as we can and I’d like to improve our club if we can with trades. If that happens, great. But what I do like about this club is that it’s young enough there can be improvement from within. When you get beyond that, then you’ve got problems. Then you’ve got to start talking about major, major moves.

Notice from this interview... Bradley didn't ask will you keep Marvin Williams, WIll you do everything you can to sign MW, Do you have a roster spot for MW... No.

Bradley asked, would you LIKE to keep MW?

That's personal preference. Hell, he didn't have a problem saying that he liked Acie. It rolled off his mouth as soon as the question was asked: " Do you like Acie? I like Acie."

"Would you like to keep MW? Well, FAcy is such a mysterious thing... blah blah blah, yada yada, would like to keep the core.., Yada"

Like I said, Sund doesn't strike me as one who is looking to keep Marvin. This and the rumors that Marvin is being shopped for capspace... I kinda leads me to believe that Sund knows that he can get Chillz in here for cheaper and that he can trade Marvin and get something back. Moreover, has anybody even asked Sund who is the core?

• Premium Member
So based in Diesel logic Marvin Williams is the reason why we didn't win the championship this year. SO if he is gone next year and we bring Chillz back we are a lock to win 69 games and go undefeated in the playoffs and win it all. Without Marvin, Bibby will be able to play defense, JJ will show up for every game, Smoove's BBIQ will surpass Magic Johnson's, Horf will average 20 and 15, and Woody will turn into Mike D'antoni. I forgot to mention based on Diesel's logic, Marvin Williams will go to a children's hospital the day before Christmas and tell all of the dying kids that Santa Claus isn't real.

I've said nothing about Marvin's effect on this team? I think that's your whole red herring there. Your scarecrow or strawman. Marvin is neither a good nor bad impact on this team. He's like ice berg lettuce. Not bad for you. Not good for you... just a big neutral. Needs something else to compliment him. So you can continue hanging your Marvin lost us the championship scarecrow around Hawksquawk there WuRider. Nobody's afraid of it. In fact, people just walk by it daily. The crows have started to perch from that scarecrow. It's laughable. It identifies you as a Marvin Williams nuthugger. DATABOY!

• Premium Member
Not really sure how you came to that conclusion. But, I hope not because Marvin is a lot better than Childress.

Marvin's going to ask for 8 per. We just found out that a 2 million dollar Mo Williams not doing s--- on the court can give the same result (or better) than Marvin. Chillz will come in between late 5 and 7. Chillz is more efficient than Marvin. Morevoer, nobody knows how CHillz has improved his game being in Europe. Sund is not going to dump 8 Million for more of Marvin's excuses.

• Premium Member
Think I would rather trade him as part of a deal for a pg or a big. Not sure he'd fit in if he came bac k.

Bring him back! He and Josh are the only players that have no fear of driving the ball. If nothing else he's 10x better than Mo Evans.

• Premium Member
If nothing else he's 10x better than Mo Evans.

Not sure I'd agree. Plus, Evans is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive.

I'd move Childress for an expiring (backup PG???) and a future first rounder.

Not sure I'd agree. Plus, Evans is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive.

I'd move Childress for an expiring (backup PG???) and a future first rounder.

You don't think Chillz is a significant up grade over Mo Evans?? Money and salary notwithstanding.

I've said nothing about Marvin's effect on this team? I think that's your whole red herring there. Your scarecrow or strawman. Marvin is neither a good nor bad impact on this team. He's like ice berg lettuce. Not bad for you. Not good for you... just a big neutral. Needs something else to compliment him. So you can continue hanging your Marvin lost us the championship scarecrow around Hawksquawk there WuRider. Nobody's afraid of it. In fact, people just walk by it daily. The crows have started to perch from that scarecrow. It's laughable. It identifies you as a Marvin Williams nuthugger. DATABOY!

Nuthugger huh!!! Haven't heard that on since middle school. Just because you make 1000 redundant threads a day (Diesel 10 ways to fix the HAwks, Diesel is the GM =same damn topic) that doesn't mean that you are some basketball genius. I am on the side of common sense. I am all for getting better if it means we trade anyone (Marvin included) but you are totally ignorant if you think that all of our troubles begin and end with Marvin Williams. We were 16-14 after MArv's injuries when he stopped playing major minutes that includes the playoff. For some reason you seem forget than when you say Mo Evans can fill in perfectly for Marv. 16-14. Diesel you are a mark for you own character!! 16-14!!! Seems to me that we were alot better when we had him. Marvin or no Marvin we have problems.

Edited by Wurider05

• Premium Member
You don't think Chillz is a significant up grade over Mo Evans?? Money and salary notwithstanding.

Not on this team, no. On a team with plenty of perimeter shooters and a big who can score inside, Childress would have far greater value.