• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin deserves to be flamed....

Diesel

Flip Murray then. You're harping on insignificant details.

Insignificant details huh?

Joe Johnson played a total of 3,123 minutes last year in the regular season with only 386 of those minutes coming at the small forward position.

Marvin Williams was injured or did not play for a total of 21 games. If we are to assume just for the sake of argument that Joe played the majority of his minutes at SF when Marvin was out (which is not true, just a hypothetical to play along) let's see.....

21 games multiplied by 48minutes each equals 1,008 possible minutes Joe Johnson could have played at SF. He only played 386. Something is just not adding up for the man who always argues against small sample sizes. :cant believe:

Joe Johnson played a total of 3,123 minutes last year in the regular season with only 386 of those minutes coming at the small forward position.

Marvin Williams was injured or did not play for a total of 21 games. If we are to assume just for the sake of argument that Joe played the majority of his minutes at SF when Marvin was out (which is not true, just a hypothetical to play along) let's see.....

21 games multiplied by 48minutes each equals 1,008 possible minutes Joe Johnson could have played at SF. He only played 386. Something is just not adding up for the man who always argues against small sample sizes. :cant believe:

I think those minutes are skewed.

JJ was on the floor a ton with Mo Evans (specially in the 21 games Marvin did not play). In those games JJ and Mo would flip SG/SF assignments defensively all the time. Mo cannot handle the rock so he can't really play as traditional SG offensively..........he is a spot up shooter plain and simple on offense.

With the addition of Crawford, and his ability to be a ball handler, JJ will get more minutes where it is plainly obvious he is at SF.

I thought it was peaceful personally.

Much easier to find something significant that is for sure. On the upside, at least its not the 100 - 200 replies you would have to read through when he was replacing Marv with Chilz, Smoove, or even Evans. Most are catching on, a hater never changes his stripes

I think those minutes are skewed.

JJ was on the floor a ton with Mo Evans (specially in the 21 games Marvin did not play). In those games JJ and Mo would flip SG/SF assignments defensively all the time. Mo cannot handle the rock so he can't really play as traditional SG offensively..........he is a spot up shooter plain and simple on offense.

With the addition of Crawford, and his ability to be a ball handler, JJ will get more minutes where it is plainly obvious he is at SF.

Its called switching not flip(ping) and we did it more than any team in league. Guess that makes Smoove, Horford, and ZaZa a pg in your opinion :help wanted3:

Edited by Buzzard

Quick question: why didn't we draft Chris Paul? Did anyone here ever consider that? Little known fact: he was available when we picked Marvin!

I just wanted to put that out there so no stone is unturned in this important debate.

Quick question: why didn't we draft Chris Paul? Did anyone here ever consider that? Little known fact: he was available when we picked Marvin!

I just wanted to put that out there so no stone is unturned in this important debate.

I bet Diesel felt like he passed a stone when Marvin got resigned.

• Moderators

Good point! But did you know that when we picked Marvin, Deron Williams was also available? You may not have heard of him since he plays in the Western Conference, but he also plays PG and is pretty good. Some might argue he was the Williams we should have taken if we locked onto drafting someone with that last name.

• Premium Member

386 minutes at Sf. Considering that one game = 48 minutes. That says that Joe played: 8 full 48 minute games at Sf.. Based on82 games.com, Joeactually played 22% of the Sf minutes.

Just by some comparison...

Horf played 14% of the PF minutes.

Smoove played >1% of the Sf minutes.

Bibby played 1% of the SG minutes.

Marvin played 17% of the PF minutes.

We like to talk about our versatility.. however, it seems that no one is more versatile than Joe.

Moreover,

Brandon Roy played less than 1% of the PG minutes ibn PTL.

LaMarcus Aldridge played 7% of the Center minutes in PTL.

Hedo Turkuglu played 3% of the PF minutes in Orlando.

Kobe played 5% of the Sf minutes in LAL.

I don't think that 22% is insignificant.

• Premium Member

Good point! But did you know that when we picked Marvin, Deron Williams was also available? You may not have heard of him since he plays in the Western Conference, but he also plays PG and is pretty good. Some might argue he was the Williams we should have taken if we locked onto drafting someone with that last name.

You know there are about 7 names from that draft who we coiuld have picked and been BETTER off.. let's not forget to turn those rocks over too if that's where you all want to go. However, I'm talking about 2009-2010... whaddaboutyou?

• Moderators

You know there are about 7 names from that draft who we coiuld have picked and been BETTER off.. let's not forget to turn those rocks over too if that's where you all want to go. However, I'm talking about 2009-2010... whaddaboutyou?

I think we are all beating a dead horse here when we are keying on a comment from a player in the preseason that reads:

"I'm not going to change what I have been doing. I just have to improve. Improve within this system. Everyone has their role and it's been proven to work over the past year."

I'll just say that the idea of a Bibby/Crawford backcourt trying to check SGs scares me to death if used beyond limited change-of-pace minutes whereas the comment from Marvin doesn't cause me to hit the panic button in the slightest.

I think we are all beating a dead horse here when we are keying on a comment from a player in the preseason that reads:

"I'm not going to change what I have been doing. I just have to improve. Improve within this system. Everyone has their role and it's been proven to work over the past year."

I'll just say that the idea of a Bibby/Crawford backcourt trying to check SGs scares me to death if used beyond limited change-of-pace minutes whereas the comment from Marvin doesn't cause me to hit the panic button in the slightest.

Only someone with an agenda can read "I just have to improve" and somehow take that to mean Marvin is happy with his game.

Diesel understand this completely but the agenda is replace Marvin (as if we can do this, but no doubt the Crawford/JJ lineup works well on his XBox) .

The last several years its been replace with Chilz. Smoove, and Evans and we become a overall weaker team. Now its replace him with JJ and slide a volume shooter and poor defender into JJ's slot, thus making us significantly weaker on the defensive front.

Could you imagine any GM saying "we need to improve this season in order to keep up with the Celtics, Cavs, and Magic; and the best way for us to do that is to become defensively weaker than we were last season?"

It would be more like "we need to try and get back into the lottery, so lets bench Marvin and start Crawford."

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Only someone with an agenda can read "I just have to improve" and somehow take that to mean Marvin is happy with his game.

So tell me..

How does Marvin improve without changing what he's been doing?

Here's what I see.

He's gonig to set up in the same corner and wait on somebody to throw him the ball.

Everybody likes to contrast Smoove and Marvin.

Let's talk about what Smoove has done different offensively.

1. Smoove shot less threes.

2. Smoove drove the lane more.

We hope that Smoove does those two things again this year. What it means is that his improvement is tied to him doing something different than what he has been doing.

Now, how can Marvin improve.

1,. Add a stop and pop jumper to his drive.

2. Drive the lane more.

3. Stop standing around and move around until you're wide open.

Those are three changes that leads to improvement.

You guys are living in happyeverafter land if you think that Marvin will improve by doing the same thing he's been doing.

Not to mention my original response, to the question Marv was asked in regards to his response " Are you going to demand the ball more". He doesn't need to demand the ball on offense. The Hawks are blessed with multiple guys that can score, especially after this off-season! Why would Marvin claim that he needs to get more shots? It's ridiculous.

Saying that you have to improve is just common sense, not another reason to bash where he was in the draft as an 18 year old or how he's a bad fit for this team.

So tell me..

How does Marvin improve without changing what he's been doing?

Here's what I see.

He's gonig to set up in the same corner and wait on somebody to throw him the ball.

Everybody likes to contrast Smoove and Marvin.

Let's talk about what Smoove has done different offensively.

1. Smoove shot less threes.

2. Smoove drove the lane more.

We hope that Smoove does those two things again this year. What it means is that his improvement is tied to him doing something different than what he has been doing.

Now, how can Marvin improve.

1,. Add a stop and pop jumper to his drive.

2. Drive the lane more.

3. Stop standing around and move around until you're wide open.

Those are three changes that leads to improvement.

You guys are living in happyeverafter land if you think that Marvin will improve by doing the same thing he's been doing.

LOL @ saying Marvin should "stop standing around". Did you forget who the coach was? His philosophy is ISO JJ left, ISO JJ right, ISO JJ up the middle while people stand around watching.

Marvin went from shooting 1-10 to 55-155 from 3 in one year. I think everyone but you would consider that a pretty dramatic improvement.

During this past season Marvin shot 61% on his inside attempts, up 10% from the 06-07 season. Again that is a big improvement.

In both cases he improved "within the system" and he obviously intends to continue to improve. Maybe if you got over your drinking problem you would be able to acknowlege the improvement he has made.

snoophateradelogo.gif

386 minutes at Sf. Considering that one game = 48 minutes. That says that Joe played: 8 full 48 minute games at Sf.. Based on82 games.com, Joeactually played 22% of the Sf minutes.

Just by some comparison...

Horf played 14% of the PF minutes.

Smoove played >1% of the Sf minutes.

Bibby played 1% of the SG minutes.

Marvin played 17% of the PF minutes.

We like to talk about our versatility.. however, it seems that no one is more versatile than Joe.

Moreover,

Brandon Roy played less than 1% of the PG minutes ibn PTL.

LaMarcus Aldridge played 7% of the Center minutes in PTL.

Hedo Turkuglu played 3% of the PF minutes in Orlando.

Kobe played 5% of the Sf minutes in LAL.

I don't think that 22% is insignificant.

Is the 34% of minutes that Crawful spent at PG significant to you too or does that dodge not fit into the agenda at hand?