• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin deserves to be flamed....

Diesel

• Premium Member

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Check out the Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams video.

Marvin was asked point blank... "Will you be more demanding of the ball this year?"

He said, "I'm not going to change what I have been doing.".

He is an over-glorified ROLE player. He talks about improving, but his improvement plan lacks change. If you're not willing to change what you've been doing, you will not improve.

Marvin was asked point blank..."Will you be more demanding of the ball this year?"

He is an over-glorified ROLE player. He talks about improving, but his improvement plan lacks change. If you're not willing to change what you've been doing, you will not improve.

You're twisting around his reply. He's answering the question, of "Will he be more demanding of the ball?" He's simply saying, he's not going to force the issue on offense, or push to get more shots. Besides, why would he need to demand the ball on offense when we have plenty of people on the team that can score as well, especially adding Crawford.

Of course he talks about improving, but I doubt part of his improvement plan is demanding the ball from his teammates more.

• Premium Member

Marvin was asked point blank... "Will you be more demanding of the ball this year?"

funny because I thought about you as soon as saw this. Same ole Marv.

funny because I thought about you as soon as saw this. Same ole Marv.

This is a bad thing?

Solid contributor on the basketball court, in any facet. He doesn't do anything super, but sure as heck doesn't do anything bad. Good teammate, doesn't complain, plays hard, stays out of trouble off the court, and he seems like - from a fan's perspective - just a good person all around. The draft was five years ago, it's time to accept that he may never live up to what the fictional expectations are for such a lofty pick, and accept that in this point in time - with the way the team is constructed - he's an important piece to us continuing to get better and growing as a team.

Though I am frustrated also about how long it's taking Marvin to improve I think you are reaching on this one my good man. Now as far as his being passive we knew this about him when we drafted him he was passive at UNC. He also knows that he isn't even the second option on this team, he is playing the role that has been assigned to him. If he played outside of his role folks would bash him like they do Josh Smith. I seem to remember a game last season when Joe was out and Marvin did play more aggressive.

If we took him with the 15th pick instead of the 2nd would u still give him such a hard time? Marv didn't ask to b the 2nd pick it just happened. Trust me I understand your frustration bc I used to feel the same way, but now its time to stop punishing him for bks mistake n accept that he fits what we r as a team n he has made small improvements on his game every year, not huge improvements but he is improving, just give him a chance d.

• Moderators

I would be interested to see the response if Marvin said, "Our team has more scoring talent than ever with the additions of Teague and Crawford but now is the time for me to demand more shots. So far I have been doing just what Coach Woodson tells me, but now I will change what I have been doing, and trust me when I tell you that I will be getting my shot this season."

• Like 1

You're twisting around his reply. He's answering the question, of "Will he be more demanding of the ball?" He's simply saying, he's not going to force the issue on offense, or push to get more shots. Besides, why would he need to demand the ball on offense when we have plenty of people on the team that can score as well, especially adding Crawford.

Of course he talks about improving, but I doubt part of his improvement plan is demanding the ball from his teammates more.

Marvin shouldn't be behind Crawford on the shot chart. A lot more has been invested in Marvin than it has Jamal Crawford.

I would be interested to see the response if Marvin said, "Our team has more scoring talent than ever with the additions of Teague and Crawford but now is the time for me to demand more shots. So far I have been doing just what Coach Woodson tells me, but now I will change what I have been doing, and trust me when I tell you that I will be getting my shot this season."

Marvin is a greedy player. He didn't get a huge contract so he wants to pad his own stats at the expense of the team. I can't believe how selfish that guy is.

Head Case

Marvin = Josh Smith Part Deux

• Premium Member

Amazing!

Marvin highlight in tonight's preseason game:

- he steals the ball and takes it all the way to the hole for a lay-up

- next NO possession, he steals bal again ( 4th steal of the game ), and passes to JJ for the dunk

- next ATL possession, he tosses an alley-oop to Horford for the dunk

In 45 seconds of gameplay . . Marvin had 2 pts, 2 assists, and 2 steals.

Efficiency at its best.

cool. always nice to see a new take on things.

• Premium Member

If we took him with the 15th pick instead of the 2nd would u still give him such a hard time? Marv didn't ask to b the 2nd pick it just happened. Trust me I understand your frustration bc I used to feel the same way, but now its time to stop punishing him for bks mistake n accept that he fits what we r as a team n he has made small improvements on his game every year, not huge improvements but he is improving, just give him a chance d.

It's not about where he was picked... however where he was picked has effected how our FO treats him. Do you realize how many good players we have squandered trying to "give Marvin room to grow"? Even now. We're benching Jamal Crawford a 20 ppg player so that Marvin can play with the starters.

Here's my rebuttal.. Had we picked him 15th, would people insist that he be a starter?

Had we picked him 15th, would people have insisted that we traded Al Harrington?

Had we picked him 15th, would people insist that 6'8 235 lb Joe Johnson must be a SG?

Had we picked him 15th, would Chillz be in Europe?

You know what's really scary... in the 2006 draft, had BK picked Roy (after his continued snubbs of us), do you realize that we would have either benched him or played him out of position?

• Premium Member

That would have definitely been more palatable. Here's the deal. We have suffered because of lack of offense. Let's not sit here and act like Iso-Joe is just a running joke with no merit. Our offense has been Joe making things happen. The reason why is because Marvin is never aggressive, Smoove is too aggressive, and Horford doesn't have a consistent offense. My thing is Either ask for the ball or don't complain about only getting 8 shots per game. However, you did say one thing right... we are bringing in a volume shooter. Probably one of the best in the game. He makes Flip look like a consistent distributor. When JCraw is putting up a point a minute, we're really going to have to consider weather or not keeping Marvin on the floor for argument sake is worth it for our team.

Moreover, your sarcasm is sad because it requires that Woody be an offensive coaching aficionado . That's richly funny. Woody pretty much admitted that he lets Bibby run the offense.

That would have definitely been more palatable. Here's the deal. We have suffered because of lack of offense. Let's not sit here and act like Iso-Joe is just a running joke with no merit. Our offense has been Joe making things happen. The reason why is because Marvin is never aggressive, Smoove is too aggressive, and Horford doesn't have a consistent offense. My thing is Either ask for the ball or don't complain about only getting 8 shots per game. However, you did say one thing right... we are bringing in a volume shooter. Probably one of the best in the game. He makes Flip look like a consistent distributor. When JCraw is putting up a point a minute, we're really going to have to consider weather or not keeping Marvin on the floor for argument sake is worth it for our team.

Moreover, your sarcasm is sad because it requires that Woody be an offensive coaching aficionado . That's richly funny. Woody pretty much admitted that he lets Bibby run the offense.

Marvin is never aggressive yet he is the first hawk since Steve Smith to get to the line 20 times in a game and he gets to the line more often per shot attempt than anyone on the team.

Edited by gsuteke

This same old tired argument. Jamal Crawford is an inconsistent, low % scorer. He'll be at his best when we look to him to give us a spark off the bench. He's a notoriously poor defender. Joe Johnson will be worn out guarding all the good SFs in the East, and Marvin Williams does a very good job defending his position. He's also a much better rebounder than Joe. You're getting too wrapped up in numbers. I'm almost certain that Marvin Williams can score 20 points a game, shooting 40% :lol6: