• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin deserves to be flamed....

Diesel

This same old tired argument. Jamal Crawford is an inconsistent, low % scorer. He'll be at his best when we look to him to give us a spark off the bench. He's a notoriously poor defender. Joe Johnson will be worn out guarding all the good SFs in the East, and Marvin Williams does a very good job defending his position. He's also a much better rebounder than Joe. You're getting too wrapped up in numbers. I'm almost certain that Marvin Williams can score 20 points a game, shooting 40% :lol6:

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE GAME: Mario West played his usual sticky defense and Josh Smith had a game-high two blocks and five defensive rebounds in short time. But it was Williams that stuck out the most, recording four steals and using every bit of his length and athleticism to cause problems for the Hornets. We started to see some signs of it last season when he harassed guys like Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James in impressive wins for the Hawks, so his improved defensive presence shouldn’t really be a surprise. The added dimension of an eager wing defender in a 6-9, 245-pound package is what should excite you.

The last sentence is why Marvin is important to the team and needs to be on the floor.

• Like 1

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE GAME: Mario West played his usual sticky defense and Josh Smith had a game-high two blocks and five defensive rebounds in short time. But it was Williams that stuck out the most, recording four steals and using every bit of his length and athleticism to cause problems for the Hornets. We started to see some signs of it last season when he harassed guys like Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James in impressive wins for the Hawks, so his improved defensive presence shouldn’t really be a surprise. The added dimension of an eager wing defender in a 6-9, 245-pound package is what should excite you.

The last sentence is why Marvin is important to the team and needs to be on the floor.

suicide watch

• Premium Member

This same old tired argument. Jamal Crawford is an inconsistent, low % scorer. He'll be at his best when we look to him to give us a spark off the bench. He's a notoriously poor defender. Joe Johnson will be worn out guarding all the good SFs in the East, and Marvin Williams does a very good job defending his position. He's also a much better rebounder than Joe. You're getting too wrapped up in numbers. I'm almost certain that Marvin Williams can score 20 points a game, shooting 40% :lol6:

Can we hold you to that prediction of 20 ppg and 40% shooting? I don't think Marvin could reach those numbers with a stepping stool and an extend reach...

lrp.jpg

Can we hold you to that prediction of 20 ppg and 40% shooting? I don't think Marvin could reach those numbers with a stepping stool and an extend reach...

Given enough shots even Tyrone Corbin averaged 18 ppg in a season.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=CORBITY01

With the number of offensive weapons we have, JJ will have to hog the ball to score 20 ppg.

Crawford can guard players between 6-0 to 6-3. Marvin can guard players between 6-4 to 7-0.

You can't compare those two.

Marvin is one of the best rebounding small forwards in the game. Crawford is one of the worst rebounding guards in the NBA.

Marvin does whatever the coach pleases. Crawford did that only with Larry Brown. I am hoping he will do that here.

Your dream of starting lineup with Bibby-Crawford-JJ at 123 will make us small in all 5 positions.

Edited by jerrywest

I just dont get why so many people here hate on Marvin...he contributes, his game has shown growth both on the defensive side of the ball and developing his 3 point shot...he is our most consistent volume free throw shooter and shoots a good percentage on them...id love to see him develop into a teyshawn prince type player...someone to defend the best swing man of the opposition and contribute offensively in spots...not everyone needs to be a 20pt scorer...Crawford's value is that he can allow Joe to play less min and a scoring spark off the bench...hopefully less min will result in Joe being less beat up and starting to attack the rim a bit more...he has far to few free throw attempts and we all no he can get to the rim...love to see him doing more of that than heaving jumpers.

I just dont get why so many people here hate on Marvin...he contributes, his game has shown growth both on the defensive side of the ball and developing his 3 point shot...he is our most consistent volume free throw shooter and shoots a good percentage on them...id love to see him develop into a teyshawn prince type player...someone to defend the best swing man of the opposition and contribute offensively in spots...not everyone needs to be a 20pt scorer...Crawford's value is that he can allow Joe to play less min and a scoring spark off the bench...hopefully less min will result in Joe being less beat up and starting to attack the rim a bit more...he has far to few free throw attempts and we all no he can get to the rim...love to see him doing more of that than heaving jumpers.

He already does this..

• Premium Member

Given enough shots even Tyrone Corbin averaged 18 ppg in a season.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=CORBITY01

With the number of offensive weapons we have, JJ will have to hog the ball to score 20 ppg.

Crawford can guard players between 6-0 to 6-3. Marvin can guard players between 6-4 to 7-0.

You can't compare those two.

Marvin is one of the best rebounding small forwards in the game. Crawford is one of the worst rebounding guards in the NBA.

Marvin does whatever the coach pleases. Crawford did that only with Larry Brown. I am hoping he will do that here.

Your dream of starting lineup with Bibby-Crawford-JJ at 123 will make us small in all 5 positions.

In your analysis, you ignore JJ.

If Marvin goes out and Craw comes in, Craw plays the 2 NOT THE 3 and Joe moves to the 3. Like it or not, when Marvin was hurt last year, we did pretty good down the stretch with Joe at the 3. And that was with guys like Flip and Mo playing at the 2. What happens when you switch it up and put an accomplished scorer at the 2?

Let's not revise history here, Mo Evans did not play a single minute at SG last year with Joe Johnson in the game.

http://www.82games.com/0809/0809ATL2.HTM

When Marvin went down Joe did not slide to the 3 Mo Evans instead started at the 3 where he took up the majority of the minutes.

Also keep in mind that Jamal Crawford played the majority of his minutes at PG last year

http://www.82games.com/0809/08GSW4.HTM#bypos

so explain again why we are moving not one but two players out of position and yet another to the bench to accommodate your agenda?

• Premium Member

Let's not revise history here, Mo Evans did not play a single minute at SG last year with Joe Johnson in the game.

http://www.82games.com/0809/0809ATL2.HTM

When Marvin went down Joe did not slide to the 3 Mo Evans instead started at the 3 where he took up the majority of the minutes.

Also keep in mind that Jamal Crawford played the majority of his minutes at PG last year

http://www.82games.com/0809/08GSW4.HTM#bypos

so explain again why we are moving not one but two players out of position and yet another to the bench to accommodate your agenda?

Flip Murray then. You're harping on insignificant details.

In your analysis, you ignore JJ.

If Marvin goes out and Craw comes in, Craw plays the 2 NOT THE 3 and Joe moves to the 3. Like it or not, when Marvin was hurt last year, we did pretty good down the stretch with Joe at the 3. And that was with guys like Flip and Mo playing at the 2. What happens when you switch it up and put an accomplished scorer at the 2?

I am sure you are unaware that Crawford can not guard strong shooting guards. Knicks eventually solved the puzzle and put Marbury on the shooting guards and Crawford on the point guards where he was adequate.

With JJ at 3 and Crawford at 2, we are the smallest team in the NBA.

Also, I am sure you are unaware that Crawford is one of the worst rebounders in the league.

Facts facts facts. You must be tired of those now.

Heaven forbids if the Olympic committee decides to replace Prince with Marvin.

Flip Murray then. You're harping on insignificant details.

Actually this thread was started predicated on insignificant details that were taken out of context.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Check out the Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams video.

Marvin was asked point blank... "Will you be more demanding of the ball this year?"

He said, "I'm not going to change what I have been doing.".

He is an over-glorified ROLE player. He talks about improving, but his improvement plan lacks change. If you're not willing to change what you've been doing, you will not improve.

Immediately after that quote he explained himself (on the fly I might add this wasn't prescripted) - "I just have to improve. Improve within this system. Everyone has their role and it's been proven to work over the past year."

Speaking of insignificant details - you are extremely skilled at nit picking tiny little pieces of insignificant BS to go out on a tangent in left field about Marvin Williams.

End of story.

Edited by gsuteke