• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Emo Joe is at again

GameTime

True leadership is not being overly critical, especially publicly. True leadership is action. Putting in the work, not taking all the credit in a win, and accepting some of the blame in a loss. It's definitely not dogging out your 4-2 team (that went .500 on the road and just looked worn out) after every single loss. A true leader will correct and criticize in private and praise his teammates publicly, because at the end of the day it will make those teammates want to play harder for you.

He keeps it up, by years end, they'll be kicking him out the door. You want to see a true leader... look at how Matt Ryan takes blame away from his players and puts it on himself. Then those guys go out and want to bust down walls for him.

I'm gettin sick of his attitude, especially when he hasn't been consistent at all.

• Like 2

True leadership is not being overly critical, especially publicly. True leadership is action. Putting in the work, not taking all the credit in a win, and accepting some of the blame in a loss. It's definitely not dogging out your 4-2 team (that went .500 on the road and just looked worn out) after every single loss. A true leader will correct and criticize in private and praise his teammates publicly, because at the end of the day it will make those teammates want to play harder for you.

He keeps it up, by years end, they'll be kicking him out the door. You want to see a true leader... look at how Matt Ryan takes blame away from his players and puts it on himself. Then those guys go out and want to bust down walls for him.

I'm gettin sick of his attitude, especially when he hasn't been consistent at all.

Smoove is that u? lol excellent post. Oh yea....JJ told me to tell u to know your role as well. :biggrin:

Joe Johnson was not happy with his Hawks' teammates after Friday's loss, saying "we became a selfish team. Now everybody wants to go one-on-one. It's me, me, me."

"Everybody who touches it wants to score," Johnson said. "I really think guys on this team don't know their roles, so it's killing us. And it's going to continue to kill us." Johnson, whose numbers are down, is playing for a contract and it was not tough to see this coming, as he's not used to having a gunner like Jamal Crawford in the backcourt with him. The Hawks are a dangerous and deep team, but Mike Woodson had better grab some control before internal strife becomes a real problem. via rotoworld.com

What a leader Joe is. All he does is whine now and I am getting sick of it.

I don't know...

I saw Joe's interview tonight...

He was pissed!

And we won by 25 against an elite team...

It was the kind of ticked off you can appreciate as a fan though

My point is if I had not seen the interview and just read the comments I might have misinterpreted them...

The impression I got tonight was that he just wants to raise the bar

He honestly did not seem satisfied with the way the team played tonight...

Although I am happy about the win, he has a point...

There was a time towards the end of the 3rd quarter when the Nuggets seemed to want to quit and the Hawks lifted them off the ropes... Somebody has to call a stop to that

I am concerned that there are times in the half court set when it seems like the pass should go from Joe to Crawford and it ends up goin from Joe to...

Well... Someone else

As for this comment,

"it was not tough to see this coming, as he's not used to having a gunner like Jamal Crawford in the backcourt with him. The Hawks are a dangerous and deep team, but Mike Woodson had better grab some control before internal strife becomes a real problem"

I think someone is just desperate for a story...

That said, if "strife" does rear its ugly head, it will only look bad on Joe because Crawford has been deferential to a fault. He passes to Joe regularly. As well as to other teammates. I know ZaZa loves'em

• Like 1

It is the hypocrisy in his statements that make them so bad. He only had 1 assist and went one on one more than anyone this game. I mean pot calling the kettle black. This seems more like " I'm sick of this team" than "I want to change this team for the better".

This is the first thought that came into my mind when I have read some of his quotes...

Like when he said this was a soft team...

I'm thinkin'... yeah that's true, but you played how many minutes? and went to the free throw line how many times?

I still think Joe just has a demeanor that comes off different when you read it rather than hearing it for yourself...

I have always remembered when we were trying to get Joe from Phoenix...

There was this rumor that he asked Phoenix not to match...

Someone interviewed him and asked him about that and he did not hesitate...

"Yes. I did tell them that."

Period. Over. Done.

I was like wow. I can't recall a player being that straight up about something like that.

At the end of the day. I just want him to play assertive. Give me the impression that he is not intimidated.

After that, he can take whatever shot he wants... Verbally or on the court

I will always appreciate what he did for this team by leaving Phoenix to join us and EVERYBODY said he was a fool...

Having him here gave us some stability and a focal point to build on...

But if I catch him in the fetal position against an elite team again... I will blast! I will blast!

• Like 1

Yeah Joe, keep dribbling in the same spot for 10 seconds then force a a jumper from 19 feet.

Joe can't justify all the money he wants if his numbers are down, even if the team is winning. Especially when a cat off the bench can put up damn near what he can with ease.

I am a JJ fan, but this smells liike personal and not team.

Be a man Joe.

Why do people hate Joe Johnson all of a sudden?

This franchise is nothing without him over the last few years. He loses if he criticizes publicly or not.

Beats me. He's just an overly competitive guy who wants his team to play at a higher level. It is expected after 5 years. I'm not sure if his word are magnified now that the Hawks are winning. I agree with everything he said in his interviews. Even in the win today he said the the team still gave up 100 points and that they need to pick the defense intensity on every play. The Hawks need to take that extra step into elite status and I'm not seeing it with Woodson as head potato.

Why do people hate Joe Johnson all of a sudden?

Because he's been mouthing off like a baby lately.

There are ways to be a vocal leader and it does not include crying to the media. That's what is reserved for the TO's of the world! I think someone is a little jealous of Crawford to be quite honest. He talks about people hogging the ball, when in reality he is the one that plays ISO Joe all the time.

The hilarious thing about all of this . . . is that JJ is saying EXACTLY what the fan base is thinking. But for some reason, the fans don't want JJ to say it?

If it's any consolation, JJ has spoken out after the last 3 losses . . because we got the hell beat out of us in each of those losses.

I don't count the preseason loss, but since he did speak out on it, you have to include that game to the 2 regular season beatdowns. The Orlando game I excuse, because we just ran into a buzzsaw that night.

But in the Laker loss, we were right with them, until the team got into a little trouble, then we melted down. While JJ had a great 1st quarter in that game, he went cold the rest of the way because of the increased defensive pressure. But what happened in that game is exactly what JJ talked about. Their frontline punked us ( mainly Smoove and Marvin ), and we did play soft.

But the fan base doesn't want JJ to say that, even though it was true? And in that game JJ was the only one rebounding for most of the game.

So we go to Portland and play a good game. JJ and Crawford did their jobs from a scoring standpoint, while everyone else played to their strengths and did their jobs. And we played decent defense.

In Charlotte, that definitely looked like a team suffering from jet lag. But while everyone is supposedly getting on JJ for not doing more in the Charlotte loss, don't forget that he had 9 points in that 1st quarter alone. But the other guys didn't do their jobs from a rebounding standpoint. In that game though, JJ was guarding Raja Bell most of the time, and the switching defense left him open far too much that game. So he has to take some of the blame for Raja's performance.

Here's what I don't get from the fans. On one hand, some fans want him to play like Kobe and Lebron. But to do that, he has to be a somewhat selfish offensive player and take a lot of tough shots ( even when they're going 1 on 1 . . . or 1 on 5 ).

The "elite" guys ARE SELFISH from that standpoint. You saw that firsthand with Carmelo last might, because although he was playing horribly, he didn't stop shooting for one bit. But because his main role is to score the basketball, it is expected from the rest of the team to do other things to help the team.

When JJ mentions that guys started to go one on one, it's because their offensive skills isn't made to do that. Only JJ and Crawford have the skills to score one on one ( or even two on one ), in a wide variety of ways.

Then on the other hand, some fans want JJ to pass and play more team ball. But for that to be successful, his team has to convert when he passes to them. Isn't that why all of these threads about Marvin surfaced last week? Isn't that part of the reason why people want Bibby's minutes cut? If he plays the facilitator role, the guys around him must convert.

So people can't have it both ways. If you want the scorer JJ, in which he's in attack mode, even if he has to go 1 on 3 sometimes, he has to be a somewhat selfish ballplayer ( in terms of jacking up shots ). If you want "team player" JJ, the guys around him have to convert when the ball is in their hands.

About the only thing JJ isn't doing these days, is knocking down the open 3 pointer. He's missing a lot of those. If he were doing that, he may be close to averaging 25 ppg. But his intensity level on the court this year is definitely higher.

- he's taking the ball to the hole more than I've ever seen from him

- he's taking a lead to guard the opponents best perimeter scorer at times

- and maybe most surprising, he's really looking to help rebound the basketball.

So when this team gets beat down in a game, I have no problem with the Captain expressing his displeasure. God knows he fans will do it in a heartbeat.

@ busboy . . . some of them hate on JJ for 3 main reasons:

- they're mad at him for not accepting that extension, even though none of the other top 5 UFAs accepted one from their team. They'd rather for him to just take a lowball offer for less years, than for him to get all he can get ( either from us or someone else )

- they've never respected ( or accepted ) JJ as being the best player on the team, so they get irritated when people talk about him like he's a top 15 player in the league and deserves to be paid big money.

- if they can build up some hatred for JJ, it'll be easier for them to emotionaly let go of JJ if he signs somewhere else.

Kind of strange that in a contact year he tries to be a leader.

He goes 3 on 1 alot during a game.

He is really playing selfish.

Horf and Smith get theirs by not giving it back to JJ.

I watched Marvin and Evans wide open calling for the ball and JJ still shot the ball.

He is playing selfish.

I really believe that he feels threatened by Jamal Crawford. Jamal seems to have a better on court relationship with the other players. He seems to like looking for Zaza when they are in together.

JJ never passes to Marvin.

Here's what I don't get from the fans. On one hand, some fans want him to play like Kobe and Lebron. But to do that, he has to be a somewhat selfish offensive player and take a lot of tough shots ( even when they're going 1 on 1 . . . or 1 on 5 ).

And some of us fans see the reality and that is JJ will never equal Kobe or Lebron on a nightly basis; so his selfish play cost in the same manner as Crawford; if all Crawford is doing is looking for his shot.

JJ should get 18 to 20 shots a night when he is on; but when the defense dicatates he will not be on, he has to defer. JJ has the abilty to take over a game when playing well; but unlike Kobe and Lebron, a good defensive team and scheme can turn him off. The Lakers and Bobcats both turned him off.

Reality dictates that on his bad nights he should be getting 6 to 8 assist a game instead of just four as in the Laker game or only one as in the Bobcat game. That is how JJ can become more impactful; not by taking five dribbles and a shot when they are not dropping; but by passing a little more when they are not dropping.

He starts making teams pay for the early dbl and triple teams; he may start seeing less of them...

Edited by Buzzard

The hilarious thing about all of this . . . is that JJ is saying EXACTLY what the fan base is thinking. But for some reason, the fans don't want JJ to say it?

If it's any consolation, JJ has spoken out after the last 3 losses . . because we got the hell beat out of us in each of those losses.

I don't count the preseason loss, but since he did speak out on it, you have to include that game to the 2 regular season beatdowns. The Orlando game I excuse, because we just ran into a buzzsaw that night.

But in the Laker loss, we were right with them, until the team got into a little trouble, then we melted down. While JJ had a great 1st quarter in that game, he went cold the rest of the way because of the increased defensive pressure. But what happened in that game is exactly what JJ talked about. Their frontline punked us ( mainly Smoove and Marvin ), and we did play soft.

But the fan base doesn't want JJ to say that, even though it was true? And in that game JJ was the only one rebounding for most of the game.

So we go to Portland and play a good game. JJ and Crawford did their jobs from a scoring standpoint, while everyone else played to their strengths and did their jobs. And we played decent defense.

In Charlotte, that definitely looked like a team suffering from jet lag. But while everyone is supposedly getting on JJ for not doing more in the Charlotte loss, don't forget that he had 9 points in that 1st quarter alone. But the other guys didn't do their jobs from a rebounding standpoint. In that game though, JJ was guarding Raja Bell most of the time, and the switching defense left him open far too much that game. So he has to take some of the blame for Raja's performance.

The "elite" guys ARE SELFISH from that standpoint. You saw that firsthand with Carmelo last might, because although he was playing horribly, he didn't stop shooting for one bit. But because his main role is to score the basketball, it is expected from the rest of the team to do other things to help the team.

When JJ mentions that guys started to go one on one, it's because their offensive skills isn't made to do that. Only JJ and Crawford have the skills to score one on one ( or even two on one ), in a wide variety of ways.

Then on the other hand, some fans want JJ to pass and play more team ball. But for that to be successful, his team has to convert when he passes to them. Isn't that why all of these threads about Marvin surfaced last week? Isn't that part of the reason why people want Bibby's minutes cut? If he plays the facilitator role, the guys around him must convert.

So people can't have it both ways. If you want the scorer JJ, in which he's in attack mode, even if he has to go 1 on 3 sometimes, he has to be a somewhat selfish ballplayer ( in terms of jacking up shots ). If you want "team player" JJ, the guys around him have to convert when the ball is in their hands.

About the only thing JJ isn't doing these days, is knocking down the open 3 pointer. He's missing a lot of those. If he were doing that, he may be close to averaging 25 ppg. But his intensity level on the court this year is definitely higher.

- he's taking the ball to the hole more than I've ever seen from him

- he's taking a lead to guard the opponents best perimeter scorer at times

- and maybe most surprising, he's really looking to help rebound the basketball.

So when this team gets beat down in a game, I have no problem with the Captain expressing his displeasure. God knows he fans will do it in a heartbeat.

@ busboy . . . some of them hate on JJ for 3 main reasons:

- they're mad at him for not accepting that extension, even though none of the other top 5 UFAs accepted one from their team. They'd rather for him to just take a lowball offer for less years, than for him to get all he can get ( either from us or someone else )

- they've never respected ( or accepted ) JJ as being the best player on the team, so they get irritated when people talk about him like he's a top 15 player in the league and deserves to be paid big money.

- if they can build up some hatred for JJ, it'll be easier for them to emotionaly let go of JJ if he signs somewhere else.

Joe isn't even close to being Kobe.