• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Fri's Game in Boston should be a good indicator

JackB1

Fri's game should tell us a lot about this year's Hawks. After the National TV embarassment in the preseason blowout from Orlando. The Hawks should have plenty of

motivation to show everyone that they are for real this year. I don't expect us to win in Boston, but if we get blown out again on the road, then we will hear cries of

"Same old Hawks".

We have to prove to the NBA and this National TV audience that we can be a SOLID TEAM ON THE ROAD and not just this surprising young team that can get up for any home game.

Fri should show us how far we have (or haven't) come. Should be interesting......

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by "another game attitude?"

Because treating it as just another game is not disrespectful. First, because it's the regular season. Second, because while hawks fans might still be pissed about that series in 2008, the fact is that boston has more to be concerned about. Resting their starters as much as possible for the playoffs, for instance. It would be a mistake if Doc took any of this "rivalry" stuff, regardless of the team, seriously. Last year he wore down the celtics trying to chase a stupid streak record and so the celtics were running on empty in the playoffs. This year, he better limit those minutes, even if it means a few more losses. And so far he seems to be doing that. Even in the loss to the suns, Allen played only 31 minutes, KG only 35, and so on.

In any case, why does earning the celtics' respect even matter?

What do you mean by "another game attitude?"

Because treating it as just another game is not disrespectful. First, because it's the regular season. Second, because while hawks fans might still be pissed about that series in 2008, the fact is that boston has more to be concerned about. Resting their starters as much as possible for the playoffs, for instance. It would be a mistake if Doc took any of this "rivalry" stuff, regardless of the team, seriously. Last year he wore down the celtics trying to chase a stupid streak record and so the celtics were running on empty in the playoffs. This year, he better limit those minutes, even if it means a few more losses. And so far he seems to be doing that. Even in the loss to the suns, Allen played only 31 minutes, KG only 35, and so on.

In any case, why does earning the celtics' respect even matter?

by another game I mean they didn't really seem to have a game plan for us last year. It was more just show up and beat us on talent. I want to see if they scheme us at all. And it does matter how they approach us. Beyond the talking heads and coach speak, the players truly show through their approach the potency of an opponent. If they are content to trade baskets with us and count on out playing us do to superior talent in the 4th then in their eyes we are no more than the Knicks are in the Hawk's eyes. And that bothers me and should bother the Hawks.

but in the regular season teams don't come up with specific game plans for opponents. It's just not worth it. Look at last night's Cavs at Magic: the magic didnt even try to put shaq on the line to exploit his weakness. And these are teams who have a good chance of meeting deep in the playoffs.

The game definitely means much more to the Hawks and Hawk fans, than it does to the Celtics and their fans. We're the only ones referring to this as a "rivalry game". We're the ones looking for vallidation, not them.

I agree with Dolfan. I'd be shocked if Smoove or Horford didn't have a bad game in Boston. I said before the season that Crawford's value to the Hawks may be how he plays on the road. He was big time in Portland, and we may need him to be big time tonight.

As for the Celtics game planning for the Hawks, they always do. They try to play JJ straight up. But if JJ is getting the best of them, they start doubling him like crazy. JJ got Doc's full attention after he lit up Ray Allen in Game 4 of the playoffs.

But Crawford may be the difference ( good and bad ) tomorrow night. Zaza may have to give us his best game of the year as well. And it'll be nice if Marvin found his stroke back in this game. If they come out doubling JJ, he and Smoove are going to be the guys left open.

The game definitely means much more to the Hawks and Hawk fans, than it does to the Celtics and their fans. We're the only ones referring to this as a "rivalry game". We're the ones looking for vallidation, not them.

I agree with Dolfan. I'd be shocked if Smoove or Horford didn't have a bad game in Boston. I said before the season that Crawford's value to the Hawks may be how he plays on the road. He was big time in Portland, and we may need him to be big time tonight.

As for the Celtics game planning for the Hawks, they always do. They try to play JJ straight up. But if JJ is getting the best of them, they start doubling him like crazy. JJ got Doc's full attention after he lit up Ray Allen in Game 4 of the playoffs.

But Crawford may be the difference ( good and bad ) tomorrow night. Zaza may have to give us his best game of the year as well. And it'll be nice if Marvin found his stroke back in this game. If they come out doubling JJ, he and Smoove are going to be the guys left open.

All your points are dead on. Boston usually beats the hell out of us in the post at their home and one of Smoove or Horf have a bad game. When its Smoove he reverts to shooting threes and when its Horf, he is negated on both ends of the floor.

Marvin plays average to well there and so does JJ. Bibby is up and down. Crawford is a key. He flat does not care where he is playing; but I still think in order to at least stay close, Bibby, JJ, and Crawford have to play very well in the 1st half.

Edited by Buzzard

I'm interested more in how Boston approaches this game. Do they respect us yet, or will they come in with the same another game attitude they gave us last year.

So, according to you, if Boston's handles us than they game planned well and if we win than Boston had a lackadaisical attitude about the game?

So, according to you, if Boston's handles us than they game planned well and if we win than Boston had a lackadaisical attitude about the game?

That is not remotely what I'm suggesting. I want to see if the Celtics see us as a challenge. You can tell when a team knows they can flip the switch and beat an opponent any time they want. I saw it with us the top 3 last year. Have we shown enough or brought in enough talent where we don't get that type of effort from the C's? I don't know. I hope they throw everything they've got at us and if we prevail then we know more about this team.

I hate games like this. I get super hyped that we will come and handle our business or upset but then we come out the gates slow, with no emotion and get down by 20 and cant catch up. I then have to try and get moral victory out of how close we can make the score before the game is over all the while having to listen to the announcers give praise to the other team and their coach and talk about how good we WERE before the game, but how we werent enough for so and so who is a contender.

I plan on skipping my practice to see this game and I dont want to be dissappointed with a lack of heart/effort and playing scared, I want us to run, jump and play our game so I can for once enjoy the rare oppurtunity I get to watch my team on TV.

That is not remotely what I'm suggesting. I want to see if the Celtics see us as a challenge. You can tell when a team knows they can flip the switch and beat an opponent any time they want. I saw it with us the top 3 last year. Have we shown enough or brought in enough talent where we don't get that type of effort from the C's? I don't know. I hope they throw everything they've got at us and if we prevail then we know more about this team.

And what im saying is that regardless of how the game is going, the celtics will not "throw everything in," and that it shouldnt be seen as a lack of respect. All the celtics starters are playing significantly less minutes this season as compared to last season. This is the first time in 10 years that Allen and Pierce are playing less than 35 minutes a game, and the first time since his rookie season that KG is playing less than 30. Only Allen played more than 40 minutes against the cavs, and only Pierce played more than 40 minutes against the suns. Why would you be upset if they showed the same attitude and restraint against the hawks? Why should they take the hawks game more seriously than the cavs game, or the suns game?

How do you know if they see us as a challenge? Sometimes the key to a big run in the second half is the simple fact that shots begin falling. It doesn't mean they weren't taking us seriously prior to that point, it just means their shots weren't falling. The fact is that Boston will be ready to play as they have been all year (they are 8-1) and if we beat them it will be extremely impressive.

the ATL-BOS rivalry is more akin to CLE-WAS than LA-BOS.

I don't think its a rivalry at all. Everyone in Boston has forgotten about our little annoyance 2 years ago in the playoffs, in which Boston won it all. We Atlanta fans, however, will never forget the JJ shot against Powe, or ZaZa getting in KG's grill, but its all Mickey Mouse. There is no rivalry. We've proven nothing in their eyes.

I don't know north, I think the Celtics and their fans will be extremely pumped up about this game. Until Bibby retires they are going to hate him and of course there is no love lost towards Pachulia either. I doubt that they like JJ or Horford much as well. 2 years ago the Celtics could claim that this wasn't a rivalry because on paper they were significantly better than us but this year the gap is much more narrow and we've been to the playoffs in consecutive years.

The key for us (as usual) is to get out and run these guys up and down the court and make them pick up cheap fouls trying to stop our bigs on the break. We need to take care of the ball and not let the refs or the other team get into our heads (ahem Josh) and if we do all of those things I definitely think we can win ... however, until I see one or both of Josh Smith and Al Horford step it up on the road against a team with talented veteran bigs I'm going to be expect to see them get taken out of their games and we'll likely lose.

But make no mistake about it, this is a MAJOR statement game for us. If we can prove that we can win in Boston against a very good and rested Celtics team then we're declaring ourselves as a legitimate playoff threat in the east.

We have more bench, youth and speed, but I am not really sure it will be utilized properly. Boston is at home and has more talent. I know it makes me a bad fan, but I am not expecting a whole lot out of tonight's game. I can take a road loss to a Finals contender, so I won't cover my head and panic if we get beat by 20 (like the Suns last night). What I will do is take a lot of satisfaction knowing we have an awesome home stand coming up. 4 winnable games. I can take one loss if we win the next 3-4 games.

rivalry? it's just another game. this is the nba. not football. we played them two years ago and it was our first playoff series in a long time, i remember but, i really don't care. or just another game, against a good team. winning it would be sweet but so is winning against the magic or the cavs or the lakers.