• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How we get to the finals..(Must read, EPIC)

MVP23

..This is how we get to the finals...we avoid the Magic, and hope they get knocked out by either Cleveland, or Boston...The Magic are better than us. There is no way around it. But they aren't better than Boston, and we are. But Cleveland is better than Boston. And we're better than Cleveland..Its all about playoff matchups, with is why seeding is huge. If we get the 1 seed, and Orlando gets the 4, we're screwed. But if we get the 2 seed, and Orlando gets the 1, and Boston gets the 4, thats perfect..

If needs to go like this

1.Orlando

2.Atlanta (THATS US!!)

3.Boston/Cleveland

4.Boston/Cleveland

OR

1.Atlanta(THATS US!!)

2.Orlando

3.Boston/Cleveland

4.Boston/Cleveland

Assuming everyone wins their first round of course (the bottom half of the East is god awful)...

I agree that Orlando is a bad matchup for us and if we can avoid them atleast until the EC Finals we will be okay. I think as long we can get the 2 or 3 seed we will be fine assuming they get the 1 seed. I honestly think the Magic are the best team in the East, but they will face a much tougher schedule against division rivals than the Celtics who are in perhaps the weakest division in the East. Boston will pick up alot more easy wins against NJ, NY, TOR and PHI than us and the Magic who will face very competitve teams in CHA, MIA, and WAS as well as each other

• 4 weeks later...

I've been saying for months, we WANT to be 4th seed..we beat heat round 1 and boston round 2 (boston MUST be top seed)

FYI, we cannot be a top 3 seed if orlando is...the top from each conference gets top 3 seeds, so even if we went 81-1, if orlando went 82-0, we'd be 4th seed

boston 1st seed us 4th seed gives us good shot at ECF...then we gotta face either ORL or CLE unless someone upsets them

• Premium Member

FYI, we cannot be a top 3 seed if orlando is...the top from each conference gets top 3 seeds, so even if we went 81-1, if orlando went 82-0, we'd be 4th seed

Actually they changed that rule a few years back after the Nuggets got an undeserved 3 seed. The rule now is that being a division winner only guarantees you one of the top 4 seeds, not the top 3. So if we finish behind Orlando but with a better record than Cleveland and/or Boston, we can still be in the top 3.

I've been saying for months, we WANT to be 4th seed..we beat heat round 1 and boston round 2 (boston MUST be top seed)

boston 1st seed us 4th seed gives us good shot at ECF...then we gotta face either ORL or CLE unless someone upsets them

I do not think us beating any of the big three in the playoffs is a given. But I do think we match up well against Boston. My preferences go like this in order of who I would rather take on.

1: Boston: with or without a healthy Garnett. I think we have a 60/40 chance against us winning with a healthy Garnett (all their starters need to be healthy to compete as do ours) and 60/40 in our favor without him.

2: Cleveland: but if both Shaq and Big Z go into the playoffs rested and healthy, I think they are almost as brutal in the playoffs for us as Orlando. Their bench with a healthy Powe, Big Z, and Verejao is a wildcard IMO that could actually put them over the top in the ECF and give Kobe and company a good hard run.

3: Orlando no explanation needed.

Edited by Buzzard

Just as a reminder, the regular season has little to no bearing on how things go in the playoffs.In 08 Boston beat the hawks three straight times, all by double digits, and then was taken by that same hawks to 7 games.

In 09, the hawks had a 3-1 record against the heat, and would have split the series against the cavs if not for the refs, and was taken by the heat to 7 games and was completely destroyed by the cavs. The magic last year beat LA twice in the regular season and was dismantled in the finals. The rockets lost all four regular season games against the lakers by a combined 42 points and then took them to 7. And in 07 cleveland swept the regular season and was swept in the finals.

And that is even more important when only half the series has been played. Last year the celtics won the first two games against orlando by double digits.

Point being, whatever you think it is based on the regular season (or worse, half a regular season), the playoffs are a whole different animal. It is all about being hot and healthy, so trying to get a certain seeding because it is supposedly easier is simply non-sense.

• Like 1

Just as a reminder, the regular season has little to no bearing on how things go in the playoffs.In 08 Boston beat the hawks three straight times, all by double digits, and then was taken by that same hawks to 7 games.

In 09, the hawks had a 3-1 record against the heat, and would have split the series against the cavs if not for the refs, and was taken by the heat to 7 games and was completely destroyed by the cavs. The magic last year beat LA twice in the regular season and was dismantled in the finals. The rockets lost all four regular season games against the lakers by a combined 42 points and then took them to 7. And in 07 cleveland swept the regular season and was swept in the finals.

And that is even more important when only half the series has been played. Last year the celtics won the first two games against orlando by double digits.

Point being, whatever you think it is based on the regular season (or worse, half a regular season), the playoffs are a whole different animal. It is all about being hot and healthy, so trying to get a certain seeding because it is supposedly easier is simply non-sense.

Everyone of your points is valid. But the thing to note is how Cleveland, Boston, and the Magic have owned us on their home court and ours at times over the last three seasons while we have been competing with everyone else. And the Heat is a pretty even matchup for us even we when win the regular season. Its not like we destroy them on a regualr basis.

The playoffs are a different animal in that your weaknesses are exposed and strengths heightened as the intensity increases. We have more weaknesses than the big three when they are healthy. And its primarily most glaring in rebounding, post offense, and overall defense. Like northcydes sig says: Offense sales tickets, defense wins games, rebounding wins championships. We cannot afford Horf and Smoove to have bad rebounding and defensive games in the playoffs. The big three are just to strong in the post for us to be able to win a series if that happens.

And I am not trying to put the blame on them. Its just a fact our guards usually carry us for better or worse offenseively and without our frontline doing their thing on the boards and on D; it just makes it tougher for us to keep the game competitive. Both things have to happen, guards play well offensively and Smoove and Horf play well on defense. But when we dont get that post D in the playoffs our offensive guard play is not going to be much of a factor one way or the other.

I would like to see a philosophy change on offense when we play Orlando. If we can't beat them anyway I do not see how it would hurt to insist that Marvin ,Smoove, and Horf get 10 to 15 touches each with the sole intent of getting a shot off inside ten ft. Horf can also be brought out to 18 ft and try and hit some midrange jumpers early in hopes of drawing Howard out.

In other words lets run 60% ISO frontline instead of 60% ISO guards. It can't be any worse than what we have witnessed the last three years.

Edited by Buzzard

I think we would beat Boston in a series, similar to how Orlando did Cleveland last year. Cleveland was the best team in the east, but didnt match up with Orlando.

I think we would go 7 games against Cleveland regardless of homecourt advantage as we are an even matcup, and would be lucky to go past 5 against the Magic.

Seeding wise, i dont think we need a top 2 seed to be sucessful, as long as we dont face the Magic, we can make it to the finals.

1.Bos

2.Cle

3.Hawks

4.Orl

1.Orl

2.Bos/Cle

3Hawks

4.Cle/Bos

1.Bos

2.Cle

3.Magic

4.Hawks

Assuming Orl loses in each bracket, we can handle a 3 or 4 seed

• Premium Member

Great points and hard to disagree with. We've really struggled with the Magic though and this team has not shown up for big tests in the past - especially in the playoffs. I don't think Orlando is that much better than us, but they do have a better gameplan. We have to be at the top of our game to take them in a 7 game series and losing at home is not even an option.

I just love how peeps keep thumbing me down..for no reason at all...

It's because of the way you described the topic . . . like it was CNN Breaking News or something.

Having said that, I think everyone will agree with te point of your thread. Give us anybody BUT Orlando in that 2nd Round. And we'd preferably want to go up against Boston.

I think the other teams who are part of the BIG 4, have certain teams they don't want to see in the 2nd round either.

Boston doesn't want to see us . . . . our switching defense bothers Rondo and they have absolutely no one to match up with the Bibby - Crawford - JJ lineup. the one adjustment Doc made last game, is instead of playing Allen or Pierce with the 2nd group, he played Rondo ( to guard Crawford ).

Orlando doesn't want to see Boston . . . . because Kendrick Perkins guards Dwight Howard about as well as anybody, which allows the Celtics to play Howard without double teaming him. Now the shooters aren't wide open, and they have to create their own shot ( which is a weakness for everybody except Carter . . but he'll take some bad shots to kill a possession )

Cleveland doesn't want to see Orlando . . . . because Howard patrolls the lane. Lebron loves to drive the basketball, but settles for more jumpers vs Orlando because of Howard. Plus their jumpshooting PFs ( Lewis, Anderson ) forces guys like Varejao and Big Z to guard the perimeter. For them though, Shaq may be somewhat of an equalizer due to the fact that he may cause Howard to pick up fouls and go out of the game.

People can talk about seeding if they want, but the playoffs are going to come down to MATCHUPS. Each of the BIG 4 in the East has a team that they DO NOT want to play in that 2nd round.

It's because of the way you described the topic . . . like it was CNN Breaking News or something.

Having said that, I think everyone will agree with te point of your thread. Give us anybody BUT Orlando in that 2nd Round. And we'd preferably want to go up against Boston.

I think the other teams who are part of the BIG 4, have certain teams they don't want to see in the 2nd round either.

Boston doesn't want to see us . . . . our switching defense bothers Rondo and they have absolutely no one to match up with the Bibby - Crawford - JJ lineup. the one adjustment Doc made last game, is instead of playing Allen or Pierce with the 2nd group, he played Rondo ( to guard Crawford ).

Orlando doesn't want to see Boston . . . . because Kendrick Perkins guards Dwight Howard about as well as anybody, which allows the Celtics to play Howard without double teaming him. Now the shooters aren't wide open, and they have to create their own shot ( which is a weakness for everybody except Carter . . but he'll take some bad shots to kill a possession )

Cleveland doesn't want to see Orlando . . . . because Howard patrolls the lane. Lebron loves to drive the basketball, but settles for more jumpers vs Orlando because of Howard. Plus their jumpshooting PFs ( Lewis, Anderson ) forces guys like Varejao and Big Z to guard the perimeter. For them though, Shaq may be somewhat of an equalizer due to the fact that he may cause Howard to pick up fouls and go out of the game.

People can talk about seeding if they want, but the playoffs are going to come down to MATCHUPS. Each of the BIG 4 in the East has a team that they DO NOT want to play in that 2nd round.

I agree. I would turn down the 1st seed in a heartbeat if the Magic were 4th...our best matchup in the 2nd round is Boston...let the chips fall where they may in the ECF..