• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who is our best perimeter defender?

mattlanta

Best Perimeter Defender  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can't we pick "nobody"

I'm inclined to agree with you. Joe is the best man to man defender unless the guy is under 6'6", then he has trouble.

Bibby (don't laugh) is the best at anticipating plays and can beat guys to spots but any adjustment by the offensive player and his legs won't keep up with his mind.

Marvin is the best positional defender, he operates like a joker out there, denies the ball at all times from his man if the ball is on the perimeter and always sags or traps if the ball is near the paint which leads to perimeter shooters being left open. If he does manage to recover, guys with sense enough know to just drive as Marv has a hard time recovering after a recovery but then Josh lurks.

Mo is the best at pressuring the ball next to the once great Mario but he is not fast or quick enough to keep up if a guy get's even with him. Everything else he is mediocre at.

Jamal is similar to Marv in that he is good at denying the ball with his freakish length but once the ball is in his man's hands its a crapshoot from there, steal, block or bucket.

I can't quite figure out Teague yet but he looks like he is playing paddy cake or at a rave the way he keeps his hands active. Good with his recovery contests like Smoove.

Woody is an evil genius or perhaps idiot savant with his defense.

Joe and defense don't belong in the same sentence... time and time again his man blows right by him.. Marvin's defense is overrated to, but not as much as Joe's

If you notice Joe is asked to guard 6 foot quick point guards because our PG can't. Same thing happens to Smoove when we switch and he is stuck on a PG, they blow right by him too.

Joe and Marvin obviously. Neither are anything special IMHO opinion. Our defense works because of Josh Smith and Al Horford on the inside. We struggle at perimeter defense quite a bit. Probably our greatest weakness, which is why Orlando is such a bad match-up for us.

And the reason JJ and Marvins D works so well with Josh and Horf is because they at least slow their man down most plays giving them time to take a good position to help. D is about team also; even Artest and Kobe need Gasol and Bynum to help out.

Orlando seems to play D against us so well it takes us completely out of our game. For some reason we cannot match their intensity for four quarters on either end of the floor; but most notably our struggles on offense really stick out...

They only scored 93 pts against us; which is below what we allow opposing teams for the season. We scored 76 pts which is a little less than 30pts below our average. We need 76 pts after three quarters if we expect to beat Orlando; and there is no way you can sugar coat 76 for 4 quarters and blame it on bad D.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

And the reason JJ and Marvins D works so well with Josh and Horf is because they at least slow their man down most plays giving them time to take a good position to help. D is about team also; even Artest and Kobe need Gasol and Bynum to help out.

Orlando seems to play D against us so well it takes us completely out of our game. For some reason we cannot match their intensity for four quarters on either end of the floor; but most notably our struggles on offense really stick out...

They only scored 93 pts against us; which is below what we allow opposing teams for the season. We scored 76 pts which is a little less than 30pts below our average. We need 76 pts after three quarters if we expect to beat Orlando; and there is no way you can sugar coat 76 for 4 quarters and blame it on bad D.

If Orlando uses D Howard and R Lewis right, nobody can beat them.

What happened to us last time we played them is that we had the upper hand until they started using D. Howard right.

Joe and defense don't belong in the same sentence... time and time again his man blows right by him.. Marvin's defense is overrated to, but not as much as Joe's

It's obvious you're a Joe hater so your opinion doesn't really matter much. Joe's a much better defender than you give him credit for.

• Like 1

If Orlando uses D Howard and R Lewis right, nobody can beat them.

What happened to us last time we played them is that we had the upper hand until they started using D. Howard right.

Not complaining about Orlandos offense; they put together a decent 2nd half. Like you said, stopping D Howard is near impossible; so we have to keep up with them on the offensive end. This should not be a problem since their only lock down defender is D Howard.

• Premium Member

Not complaining about Orlandos offense; they put together a decent 2nd half. Like you said, stopping D Howard is near impossible; so we have to keep up with them on the offensive end. This should not be a problem since their only lock down defender is D Howard.

That's not exactly true. They have Pietrus.

Here's the deal. Our offense works on some very simple premises.

1. We get rebounds on the defensive end. If we get them on the offensive end, it's a wrap...

2. Our big men find ways to score. I was so pleased to see Josh working on his back to the basket game yesterday. I think either he or Horf has to develop some consistency in their offense. The other great thing is watching Josh pass up the wide open long shot and drive... Yesterday he did that and got to the foul line. Last year, he just took the high percentage shot and missed it.

3. Our shooters make shots.

When those three things go awry we lose. That's what happens when we play Orlando. If they slow it up and put D. Howard in the middle sitting on the middle.. there's not much we can do if our shooters are not hitting shots. Somebody said that hitting shots is automatic for winning. I disagree. Some teams have the ability to not hit shots (and when I say that I mean outside shots) and they can win through good defense and hustle points. We're not built that way. We have far too many flaws on defense to rely on good defense and hustle points the way we did when we had Deke, Mookie, and Smitty. The good note in this is that Horf is smart. Yesterday, I saw him draw Lopez out of the middle when NJ went Man to man. This left the back door open for drives by Mo, Craw, and Smoove.

However, we will have the most trouble with teams with active bigs that can play Zone.

Memphis will not be a cake walk. Gasol is probably the 2nd best Center in the West. Gay is ridiculous with his inside and out game.. and Mayo is a great go along player. The game will be exciting. I suspect that a lot will come down to what JSmoove can do.

That's not exactly true. They have Pietrus.

Here's the deal. Our offense works on some very simple premises.

1. We get rebounds on the defensive end. If we get them on the offensive end, it's a wrap...

2. Our big men find ways to score. I was so pleased to see Josh working on his back to the basket game yesterday. I think either he or Horf has to develop some consistency in their offense. The other great thing is watching Josh pass up the wide open long shot and drive... Yesterday he did that and got to the foul line. Last year, he just took the high percentage shot and missed it.

3. Our shooters make shots.

When those three things go awry we lose. That's what happens when we play Orlando. If they slow it up and put D. Howard in the middle sitting on the middle.. there's not much we can do if our shooters are not hitting shots. Somebody said that hitting shots is automatic for winning. I disagree. Some teams have the ability to not hit shots (and when I say that I mean outside shots) and they can win through good defense and hustle points. We're not built that way. We have far too many flaws on defense to rely on good defense and hustle points the way we did when we had Deke, Mookie, and Smitty. The good note in this is that Horf is smart. Yesterday, I saw him draw Lopez out of the middle when NJ went Man to man. This left the back door open for drives by Mo, Craw, and Smoove.

However, we will have the most trouble with teams with active bigs that can play Zone.

Memphis will not be a cake walk. Gasol is probably the 2nd best Center in the West. Gay is ridiculous with his inside and out game.. and Mayo is a great go along player. The game will be exciting. I suspect that a lot will come down to what JSmoove can do.

Your three points are a more elaborate way of agreeing with me. If our offense works like it has all season we can score 100 against any team in the NBA. I just do not think one defensive player of the year, who is also their only all-defensive player, should be able to shut us down.

If we can put up 97 on a healthy Celtics team, on a good night we can score 100 against anyone. IMO Orlando and Charlotte did not shut us down we shut ourselves down. We got frazzled and never regained our composure.

Hopefully we learned something from the Dallas game. Even though a team can slow down the pace and we may not shoot well, if we hang tough and maintain our composure we can still win. For me Dallas was the biggest win of the season. Contenders figure out a way to win ugly against good teams or at least stay close to give themselves a chance at the end.

In the above games we shot like crap. Bad nights happen even to champions. But champions and contenders don't quit and figure out a way to stay in the game. We did that against Dallas, we did not do that against Orlando or Charlotte.

And yes, Memphis is a good young team and very dangerous. I am glad all that talent is out west...

nope doesn't happen to smoove as much as it does to joe , and this isn't about Smoove's defense cause he along with AL are the ONLY defense we have right now.

You can't seriously be this stupid. The reason smith isn't drove on as much by smaller guard is because he's not asked guard them. He gets abused when goes up against guys like dirk who can put the ball on the floor