• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mash's Prediction

Dragitoff

Did anyone else catch Jamal Mashburn predicting the Hawks would go to the Eastern Conference Finals? The other ESPN talking heads laughed it off, but I think anyone who actually watches the NBA know the Hawks, although inconsistent, are a dangerous team and can get really hot at any time. When they make up their mind to play defense, share the ball, and hustle they can beat any team in the league every night.

Just thought it was a cool prediction.

Did anyone else catch Jamal Mashburn predicting the Hawks would go to the Eastern Conference Finals? The other ESPN talking heads laughed it off, but I think anyone who actually watches the NBA know the Hawks, although inconsistent, are a dangerous team and can get really hot at any time. When they make up their mind to play defense, share the ball, and hustle they can beat any team in the league every night.

Just thought it was a cool prediction.

Byron Scott seems like his TV career will end in a few minutes. He has no personality at all.

Seems Mash is counting on the 3 veteran teams to wear down. He mentioned Shaq and Big Z getting older................KG is a shell of his former self, when he even plays,................now old man Carter has gone down for the Magic.

I love AJ on halftime and post game reports, he trips me out. I love how he says Vince "Kotter", its like one word is in yankee and all the rest in dixie.

I think X-coaches dislike the Hawks for their lack of offensive system and so a=many iso's...............but that is exactly why X-scorers (like Mashburn) love them. It probably reminds him of his old days in Dallas before he played under the structured Pat Riley.

The key is wil transition basketball work in the playoffs ? It got Phoneix to the Conference finals.

• Premium Member

I love AJ on halftime and post game reports, he trips me out. I love how he says Vince "Kotter", its like one word is in yankee and all the rest in dixie.

I love how AJ sounds like a member of Alvin and the Chipmunks. No matter how many times I watch shows with him, I'm a little surprised when his voice first comes on.

Byron Scott seems like his TV career will end in a few minutes. He has no personality at all.

Seems Mash is counting on the 3 veteran teams to wear down. He mentioned Shaq and Big Z getting older................KG is a shell of his former self, when he even plays,................now old man Carter has gone down for the Magic.

I think X-coaches dislike the Hawks for their lack of offensive system and so a=many iso's...............but that is exactly why X-scorers (like Mashburn) love them. It probably reminds him of his old days in Dallas before he played under the structured Pat Riley.

The key is wil transition basketball work in the playoffs ? It got Phoneix to the Conference finals.

lol yea I respect Byron Scott's opinion and I like him too but he just isnt a good 4 TV. He didnt say much or back up what he was saying..he just was talking lol kinda funny. But Mashburn is a kool guy and I think he's right..Hawks can make it to the Eastern Conference Finals if they play thr right way. We can beat Boston in 7. The challenge is Cleveland..I want no part of them come playoff time..we have no answer for Shaq or LeBron

lol yea I respect Byron Scott's opinion and I like him too but he just isnt a good 4 TV. He didnt say much or back up what he was saying..he just was talking lol kinda funny. But Mashburn is a kool guy and I think he's right..Hawks can make it to the Eastern Conference Finals if they play thr right way. We can beat Boston in 7. The challenge is Cleveland..I want no part of them come playoff time..we have no answer for Shaq or LeBron

I truly appreciate what Shaq has brought to the NBA...but he won't be around (or be a factor) come playoff time JMHO.

IF we get a second round matchup with Boston and Cleveland plays Orlando, we will be in the ECF against a worn down Orlando Magic team. IN a 7 game series, I like our chances.

I like our chances a lot more against Boston more than any other big three; but not against Orlando and Cleveland. Boston we have a chance to beat; Cleveland and Orlando, they have a honest chance to sweep. Miami, Charlotte, and Chicago (if they can get in) will battle hard the 1st round. Nothing is a given for us right now as I do not see that much seperation talent wise between us and what I consider the bottom top five most talented teams in east.

Orlando and Cleveland in a league by themselves.

My ranking for the lower five pretenders:

Boston

Atlanta

Miami

Charlotte

Chicago

No one else in the east should give us any problems at all. But I would not take a playoff matchup with any of the pretenders lightly; and think Boston with a healthy Garnett has a chance to beat anyone for one more season...this one.

Edited by Buzzard

How is Boston any worse than cleveland and orlando? Half a game behind the cavs after all those injuries is not bad. And if you think that because of the way the hawks match up against the celtics, a healthy celtics team has also shown to be a huge match up problem for the magic and the cavs...

How is Boston any worse than cleveland and orlando? Half a game behind the cavs after all those injuries is not bad. And if you think that because of the way the hawks match up against the celtics, a healthy celtics team has also shown to be a huge match up problem for the magic and the cavs...

Being right behind them is not that much worse and if you would have read the last sentence you would understand that I hope. Its just my opinion that Boston is sliding while Orlando and Cleveland are, if not improving. not sliding downhill. But it is not that drastic of a difference if you look this part of at my last sentence.

and think Boston with a healthy Garnett has a chance to beat anyone for one more season...this one.
Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I like our chances a lot more against Boston more than any other big three; but not against Orlando and Cleveland. Boston we have a chance to beat; Cleveland and Orlando, they have a honest chance to sweep. Miami, Charlotte, and Chicago (if they can get in) will battle hard the 1st round. Nothing is a given for us right now as I do not see that much seperation talent wise between us and what I consider the bottom top five most talented teams in east.

Orlando and Cleveland in a league by themselves.

My ranking for the lower five pretenders:

Boston

Atlanta

Miami

Charlotte

Chicago

No one else in the east should give us any problems at all. But I would not take a playoff matchup with any of the pretenders lightly; and think Boston with a healthy Garnett has a chance to beat anyone for one more season...this one.

My hope is that we move up to the three spot and Boston overtakes the 1 spot.

That means, Orlando would have to free fall.

IF it ends up:

Cleveland

Boston

Atlanta

Orlando

Miami

Toronto

Charlotte

New York

Milwaukee

We will be in the ECFs...

It fulfills the Diesel Rules...

#1. No New York or Charlotte in the first Round.

Those are bad matchups for us. I believe that we can beat NY, but I think Toronto is the more favorable matchup for us. Their lack of defense and poor rebounding speaks to us.

#2. Boston in the Second Round.

I'm not going to say that we own Boston but over the last few seasons, we have developed a great confidence playing them. A much better confidence than we have had playing Cleveland or Orlando.

I still believe that Orlando can beat Cleveland. It's a terrible matchup for Cleveland. They have to stop Howard and Lewis. That's hard. Plus, picking up an aging Shaq did what we thought it would... Clog up the middle when he's playing.

Us vs. Orlando in the ECF... We would need help. I don't think JJ Reddick would go off on us in a 7 game series.. but Nelson....???

Us vs. Cleveland in the ECF... Anything can happen. We looked really good against them on the night of cheat. We have also looked bad. Actually, we were supposed to beat them twice but the first night we had the 4th qtr breakdown and the second night was the night of cheat.

I guess we hope for Cleveland and the cheating refs.. Naw... give me Orlando.

My hope is that we move up to the three spot and Boston overtakes the 1 spot.

That means, Orlando would have to free fall.

IF it ends up:

Cleveland

Boston

Atlanta

Orlando

Miami

Toronto

Charlotte

New York

Milwaukee

We will be in the ECFs...

It fulfills the Diesel Rules...

#1. No New York or Charlotte in the first Round.

Those are bad matchups for us. I believe that we can beat NY, but I think Toronto is the more favorable matchup for us. Their lack of defense and poor rebounding speaks to us.

#2. Boston in the Second Round.

I'm not going to say that we own Boston but over the last few seasons, we have developed a great confidence playing them. A much better confidence than we have had playing Cleveland or Orlando.

I still believe that Orlando can beat Cleveland. It's a terrible matchup for Cleveland. They have to stop Howard and Lewis. That's hard. Plus, picking up an aging Shaq did what we thought it would... Clog up the middle when he's playing.

Us vs. Orlando in the ECF... We would need help. I don't think JJ Reddick would go off on us in a 7 game series.. but Nelson....???

Us vs. Cleveland in the ECF... Anything can happen. We looked really good against them on the night of cheat. We have also looked bad. Actually, we were supposed to beat them twice but the first night we had the 4th qtr breakdown and the second night was the night of cheat.

I guess we hope for Cleveland and the cheating refs.. Naw... give me Orlando.

You do realize this team is only 11-9 in the last 20 games and that record is likely to get worse as the team gets further into this month. This team has hit a brick wall in it's development.

I've been saying since I joined last summer that if we play boston in the second round we're goiong to the eastern conference finals.......not bc Boston sucks but bc we are a bad matchup for them. we have trouble with scoring guards and big men who can operate down low......they don't really have either. KG and Sheed are very good players but neither one really does much in the post nowadays, they're pretty much jumpshooters and that plays to our strengths......Rondo is great with his penetration but he doesn't look for his own shot enough, if he starts actually attacking the basket and looking to score against us he could become a problem. Joe and Marv are good defenders and neither has a bad matchup against this team, Ray isn't a quick guy taking people off the dribble anymore so Joe can easily body him up all game and Marv can play Pierce pretty well....not saying he's going to lock him down bc Pierce is a very effective scorer but Pierce is no LBJ so he's a lil easier to contain. Rondo is a pretty good on the ball defender but he gambles to much and with the way we play on offense his man rarely has the ball in his hands so he's always tempted to lag off and when he does either Bibby or Craw can both make him pay for it......Joe can get his shot off on either Ray or Paul......he can get the shot that he wants its really just about him making good decisions with the ball. Marv seems to like playing Boston and has good shooting games against them, Smoove and Horf can always have monster games against them bc they're bigs aren't very physical and the only one that is (perk) isn't any bigger than Horf so I like our chances there, getting offensive rebounds against them like we have the last 2 games have really proven to me that those guys have an advantage over that team.

If we get Boston in the second round we're going to the ECF........BOOK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize this team is only 11-9 in the last 20 games and that record is likely to get worse as the team gets further into this month. This team has hit a brick wall in it's development.

I agree to some point that we do not have a lot of growth left with the type of offense or defense we run. If our schemes change, I could see both Horf and Marvin improve on the offensive end of the court. I also agree that this is a tough month; which is exactly why I do not take it as a given that a team below us will not be pushing us by months end for the 4th seed. But come Febuary, if we are better than those lower teams, we should again give ourselves some breathing room.

I just think a lot of fans are still a hyped because of our hot start and wins over Boston. You hear these people saying its a long season and we can catch one or more of the big three. That is true; but the flip side could also occur and someone could be catching us.

I am not taking anything for granted but do think we have a better shot at the 4th seed than anyone below us.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I like us against Boston or Cleveland. It would be tough, but I don't fear a 7 game series with either of them. We've played both teams very good except for the 4th quarter meltdowns. Orlando seems to just punish us though. They're the only team that has really just kicked our teeth in. I know the last one came off a back to back, but I'm afraid that our guys are starting to develop a mental thing with them.

They seem to have a different level of confidence against Boston or Cleveland. The only thing is with Cleveland, they look a little timid out there. Boston, they seem to get amped up every game.

I've been saying since I joined last summer that if we play boston in the second round we're goiong to the eastern conference finals.......not bc Boston sucks but bc we are a bad matchup for them. we have trouble with scoring guards and big men who can operate down low......they don't really have either. KG and Sheed are very good players but neither one really does much in the post nowadays, they're pretty much jumpshooters and that plays to our strengths......Rondo is great with his penetration but he doesn't look for his own shot enough, if he starts actually attacking the basket and looking to score against us he could become a problem. Joe and Marv are good defenders and neither has a bad matchup against this team, Ray isn't a quick guy taking people off the dribble anymore so Joe can easily body him up all game and Marv can play Pierce pretty well....not saying he's going to lock him down bc Pierce is a very effective scorer but Pierce is no LBJ so he's a lil easier to contain. Rondo is a pretty good on the ball defender but he gambles to much and with the way we play on offense his man rarely has the ball in his hands so he's always tempted to lag off and when he does either Bibby or Craw can both make him pay for it......Joe can get his shot off on either Ray or Paul......he can get the shot that he wants its really just about him making good decisions with the ball. Marv seems to like playing Boston and has good shooting games against them, Smoove and Horf can always have monster games against them bc they're bigs aren't very physical and the only one that is (perk) isn't any bigger than Horf so I like our chances there, getting offensive rebounds against them like we have the last 2 games have really proven to me that those guys have an advantage over that team.

If we get Boston in the second round we're going to the ECF........BOOK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry I had to go back to this.......but am I right or am I right???? Neg me if you like but I had to do it! lol

the likelihood of the celtics and the hawks facing each other in the playoffs in the second round is almost non-existent. The two teams are more likely to finish 3rd and 4th than they are of finishing 1 and 4 or 2 and 3. The celtics won't be the first seed, and while the hawks have a shot at finishing ahead of the magic, I don't think the celtics do.

I agree to some point that we do not have a lot of growth left with the type of offense or defense we run. If our schemes change, I could see both Horf and Marvin improve on the offensive end of the court. I also agree that this is a tough month; which is exactly why I do not take it as a given that a team below us will not be pushing us by months end for the 4th seed. But come Febuary, if we are better than those lower teams, we should again give ourselves some breathing room.

I just think a lot of fans are still a hyped because of our hot start and wins over Boston. You hear these people saying its a long season and we can catch one or more of the big three. That is true; but the flip side could also occur and someone could be catching us.

I am not taking anything for granted but do think we have a better shot at the 4th seed than anyone below us.

Buzz, the only way those teams behind us are going to catch us ( and there's really only 2 that can do it ), is if somethuing catastrophic happens to this squad ( an injury to a key starter that has him out 4 - 6 weeks or longer ).

Toronto is a good home team, but a bad road team. They'd have to be lights out at home, and up their road record closer to .450 ( instead of the current .333 in 21 road games ), to catch us.

Miami plays the same at home or away ( i.e. - you don't know which Miami team will show up ). Add the fact that they've only played 14 road games so far, and they could fall even further behind us.

Buzz, the only way those teams behind us are going to catch us ( and there's really only 2 that can do it ), is if somethuing catastrophic happens to this squad ( an injury to a key starter that has him out 4 - 6 weeks or longer ).

Toronto is a good home team, but a bad road team. They'd have to be lights out at home, and up their road record closer to .450 ( instead of the current .333 in 21 road games ), to catch us.

Miami plays the same at home or away ( i.e. - you don't know which Miami team will show up ). Add the fact that they've only played 14 road games so far, and they could fall even further behind us.

At 24 - 13 . . . with 45 games left . . . if the Hawks go .500 the rest of the way, we'll be exactly where we were last year . . 47 - 35 ( I'll add the remainder game as a win )

Toronto is currently 19 - 20 . . . with 23 home games - 20 away games. They'll have to go 28 - 15 the rest of the way to get to 47 - 35.

Miami is currently 18 - 17 . . . with 20 home games - 27 away games. They'll have to go 29 - 18 to catch us.

Charlotte is the other team, but they have a great home record, but one of the worst road records in the league.

Something would have to go horribly wrong in Atlanta . . . or those other teams would have to play like world beaters, to catch us.

On the flip side, we're right there with Orlando ( 1 game back ). You still think they're elite, but they struggle on the road like we do. They're not getting out of our sights.

We may not catch Cleveland, but it definitely helps that we're able to gain a full game on Boston when we beat them. Orlando is the team we can pass, even if we don't beat them . . lol. We still have 2 more games against them though, so let's see what happens as the season progresses.

Edited by northcyde

Well, it's kind of obvious that we can play with Boston, KG or no KG (we beat them in Nov. w/ KG and there's really no guarantee he'll be healthy come playoff time), so, assuming Boston stays as the 1st seed, it's not at all crazy to say the Hawks will beat them in a 7 game series. Even if Cleveland is the #1 seed, I don't think it's crazy to say we can give them a series this year. Both games were competitive before the Hawks went on a bizarre scoring drought in the 1st game and the refs absolutely screwed us in the 2nd.