• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Oh Marvin, Bless his Heart

benhillboy

We keep winning in spite of our resident bust. Points down. Field Goal Percentage down. Rebounds down. Assists down. Woody has no choice but to drop his minutes down. I see Marvin running away from plays. Running around aimlessly as if he can't figure where to go, how to get there, and what to do when he arrives. He could open it up even more for everyone else, instead he places more pressure on Bibby and Joe to hit threes , Al to hit jumpers, and Josh to force his dribble drive. There are so many areas on the floor and voids in the defense that he could exploit around the paint, yet he catches near the three point line, and has the nerve to step back. Please put up a YouTube video if you've ever seen him post hard and demand the ball this year, and not the time when Mo Williams pushed him off his block twice and made him give it up. Our frontcourt could rival the Lakers', Denvers', the Celtics' (when healthy), the Grizzlies', if we had a factor at the 3. He makes a couple impressive rebounds in traffic here, draws a loose ball foul there, and his day is done.

What are we going to do with this guy?

• Like 1

We keep winning in spite of our resident bust. Points down. Field Goal Percentage down. Rebounds down. Assists down. Woody has no choice but to drop his minutes down. I see Marvin running away from plays. Running around aimlessly as if he can't figure where to go, how to get there, and what to do when he arrives. He could open it up even more for everyone else, instead he places more pressure on Bibby and Joe to hit threes , Al to hit jumpers, and Josh to force his dribble drive. There are so many areas on the floor and voids in the defense that he could exploit around the paint, yet he catches near the three point line, and has the nerve to step back. Please put up a YouTube video if you've ever seen him post hard and demand the ball this year, and not the time when Mo Williams pushed him off his block twice and made him give it up. Our frontcourt could rival the Lakers', Denvers', the Celtics' (when healthy), the Grizzlies', if we had a factor at the 3. He makes a couple impressive rebounds in traffic here, draws a loose ball foul there, and his day is done.

Simply, the Hawks have to trade him. If the Hawks are serious about going far into the playoffs, they can't allow Marvin to be an albatross of this team.

Marvin had a difficult time guarding Grant Hill last night. Offensively, Marvin got his shot altered or block multiple times inside the paint, and the Suns went the other way for a fast break basket. This is a common theme with Marvin. Marvin has multiple chances to have an impact on a game, but ususally defers.

I concur with your assessment that Marvin makes a two or three nice plays per game (mainly in the first half) and "his day is done"... Marvin rarely has a consistent impact on a game, and seems content in staying in the background. Against teams such as the Cleveland, Orlando, New York or San Antonio is when Marvin's disappearing act becomes really noticeable, and it does put MORE PRESSURE on the starters to compensate for Marvin.

I had suggested we trade him for someone such as a Corey Maggette, because Maggette is strong with the basketball, and will either get fouled or score.

The Hawks have a big-time void at the small forward position, and GM SUND has to make a trade before the February 17th deadline...

Simply, the Hawks have to trade him. If the Hawks are serious about going far into the playoffs, they can't allow Marvin to be an albatross of this team.

Marvin had a difficult time guarding Grant Hill last night. Offensively, Marvin got his shot altered or block multiple times inside the paint, and the Suns went the other way for a fast break basket. This is a common theme with Marvin. Marvin has multiple chances to have an impact on a game, but ususally defers.

I concur with your assessment that Marvin makes a two or three nice plays per game (mainly in the first half) and "his day is done"... Marvin rarely has a consistent impact on a game, and seems content in staying in the background. Against teams such as the Cleveland, Orlando, New York or San Antonio is when Marvin's disappearing act becomes really noticeable, and it does put MORE PRESSURE on the starters to compensate for Marvin.

I had suggested we trade him for someone such as a Corey Maggette, because Maggette is strong with the basketball, and will either get fouled or score.

The Hawks have a big-time void at the small forward position, and GM SUND has to make a trade before the February 17th deadline...

I would look to move Marvin to the Bobcats. MJ likes to acquire is former Tarheels. Marvin makes $7.5 million, wish I got that for running around, so the trade would have to be comprable.

Lets bring back Boris Diaw (another facilitor, 3 pt shooter, rebounder) and send Marvin and Jason Collins to the Bobcats

Bibby

Johnson

Josh Smith

Diaw

Horford

^^ LOL. Have you seen Diaw play this season? Dude looks terrible.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side for you guys. When you have scorers in your lineup like Joe on the perimeter and Al and Josh down low we don't need Marvin to put up huge numbers. He's a solid perimeter defender and when he gets open looks he can knock down his jumpers. Not to mention his rebounding has been way up the last few games (I think he had 9 last night). Of course I would like for him to develop some better moves in the paint but I don't feel like its necessary to move him to be successful...especially when we can move Joe to the 3 and play him with Crawford down the stretch.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

If we're trading Marvin, look at his hometown. Isn't he originally a west coast resident?

I know he played in NC and then went to Ga. (Hawks) in the NBA.

If he's from the west coast, send him there.

I'm not sure trading him is the solution. Hawks are winning. Do you want to mess up a good thing?

Another thing, if he's as worthless as all you posters say, then why would anyone else want him?

To sell a product, you must have positive things to say about the product you're selling. If all the bad

stuff posted here is 100% true, and I'm not saying it isn't, you would have to pay someone to take MW off

our hands - - Say, his annual salary for the duration of his contract. Pretty stiff cost to get rid of one

completely useless player.

Surely you can think of SOMETHING good to say about MW.

How about, he loves his Mamma or he don't carry guns into the dressing room. Maybe he has a good

driving record. Gotta be something nice if you're selling the product, even at a garage sale price.

:conversation:

• Like 2

I would look to move Marvin to the Bobcats. MJ likes to acquire is former Tarheels. Marvin makes $7.5 million, wish I got that for running around, so the trade would have to be comprable.

Lets bring back Boris Diaw (another facilitor, 3 pt shooter, rebounder) and send Marvin and Jason Collins to the Bobcats

Bibby

Johnson

Josh Smith

Diaw

Horford

edmunds,

Diaw was traded away because of the same reasons why Marvin has to go... classic underachiever .. Diaw is more multi-talented, but plays when HE WANTS TO PLAY... He had a great game vs. San Antonio, but look at his game log...he gets a lot of minutes (just like Marvin), but his production is sproadic.

Diaw has no interest in being a "go-to player". Phoenix gave him a lot of money, but fell out of favor with the Suns. Diaw is a tease who doesn't come to play every night.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

If we're trading Marvin, look at his hometown. Isn't he originally a west coast resident?

I know he played in NC and then went to Ga. (Hawks) in the NBA.

If he's from the west coast, send him there.

I'm not sure trading him is the solution. Hawks are winning. Do you want to mess up a good thing?

Another thing, if he's as worthless as all you posters say, then why would anyone else want him?

To sell a product, you must have positive things to say about the product you're selling. If all the bad

stuff posted here is 100% true, and I'm not saying it isn't, you would have to pay someone to take MW off

our hands - - Say, his annual salary for the duration of his contract. Pretty stiff cost to get rid of one

completely useless player.

Surely you can think of SOMETHING good to say about MW.

How about, he loves his Mamma or he don't carry guns into the dressing room. Maybe he has a good

driving record. Gotta be something nice if you're selling the product, even at a garage sale price.

:conversation:

Trading Marvin won't mess up the Hawks, just like letting Childress walk didn't hurt the team. Actually, we got better.

Marvin is a nice guy, but he isn't in his first year anymore. The Hawks aren't a 14 or 27 win team with low expectations. This team is in a position to compete for a spot in the Eastern Conference finals, but Marvin hasn't taken his game to another level.

Outside of one great game this year vs. Houston (without McGrady/Yao), Marvin has been mainly invisible.

Maybe a trade to Golden State for Maggette or Randolph. Maybe a trade to Clippers for Al Thornton or Marcus Camby. Maybe a trade to the dysfunctional Wizards might be possible.

However, something has to happen to change our profile against teams such as Orlando, Cleveland, Lakers, etc....meaningful, consistent production is required from that small forward spot and giving Marvin 30+ minutes a night is a losing proposition.

He looked good last night vs. the Suns. I love how he got physical with Stoudemire and won some battles vs. him in the paint. That is great versility for our SF.

Marvin is a big part of this team. I hope we keep him. Marvin has scored in double figures in 11 of his last 15 games. That is pretty solid for a guy getting 29 mpg...........espcially when you addin his defensive versitility. One night he guards Carmelo, the next night Lebron, then he guards a post guy like Stoudemire. winning teams need a guy like Marvin.

Anyone who is not blind knows why his minutes and numbers are down.....................Crawford is a killer in the 4th quarter and is taking his minutes. That is what happens on good teams.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

Well said Coach! And thanks to Marvin for all that you do defensively for us, even if most of us wish that you could just score a little more on a more regular basis you're still very much appreciated by those of us who understand the structure of this team.

• Like 1

• Admin

He looked good last night vs. the Suns. I love how he got physical with Stoudemire and won some battles vs. him in the paint. That is great versility for our SF.

Marvin is a big part of this team. I hope we keep him. Marvin has scored in double figures in 11 of his last 15 games. That is pretty solid for a guy getting 29 mpg...........espcially when you addin his defensive versitility. One night he guards Carmelo, the next night Lebron, then he guards a post guy like Stoudemire. winning teams need a guy like Marvin.

Anyone who is not blind knows why his minutes and numbers are down.....................Crawford is a killer in the 4th quarter and is taking his minutes. That is what happens on good teams.

Excatly. Chemistry is an important thing to the success of an NBA team. He fits in perfectly with this team. He never turned out to be the star that we were hoping but he scores when needed and open, he plays solid defense and rebounds when Horford and Josh are not getting the boards. Probably the biggest impact for his decline with his stats this year is Crawford. Crawford has been getting alot of his minutes as Joe has played a lot of SF this year.

Marvin is a great attitude guy and that can't be discounted. He is willing to be a role player while the other guys (Joe, Craw, Smith and Horford) get all the glory and he does not seem to care as long as we get the win. Thats a big deal. I like what Marvin brings to this team. He does not need to be a big scorer because we already have a lot of scorers...he just brings a lot of nice intangibles.

• Premium Member

Seriously? You make this thread now?

He's played MUCH better overall on the offensive side of the ball for several weeks now. He, like Smith, missed a few easy shots inside, but he's welding himself into the team much more seamlessly.

I'm a little less quick to blame him now that Woody has confirmed what we already expected. No gameplan on the offensive end.

One of the main reasons for the Hawks success is our ability to switch everything. Marvin is KEY to our ability to switch, especially on the 2, 3 and 4 spots. There aren't enough shots for Marvin to be a major factor offensively, especially with the 4th quarter minutes going to Jamal. Marvin is solid.

And BTW, the end of the game last night was AWESOME at Philips, if your weren't there, you missed the game of the year. I'd resigned myself to losing down 4 with 10 seconds left, AMAZING comeback. Don't forget to credit Horford's two clutch free throws at the end, prior to Jamal's put back of Josh's missed free throw. Many players made clutch plays to enable the comeback.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Well said Coach! And thanks to Marvin for all that you do defensively for us, even if most of us wish that you could just score a little more on a more regular basis you're still very much appreciated by those of us who understand the structure of this team.

Bingo.

I considered trading him for about 2.7 seconds

i thought about what sf i'd want in return (NEVER EVER EVER move smoove to sf...that's just horrible)

and because we have lots of guys who need touches, i was thinking we need the following things from the sf:

defense

rebounding

doesn't need many touches (low ego)

when does get the ball, scores efficiently, gets to the line

and i realized those are what marvin does...why would we replace him with a sf that plays worse defense and needs lots of touches with low-efficiency scoring to be happy?

unless you know of a sf that plays better defense/rebounding than marvin and doesn't need many touches and the team is willing to trade that player for marvin

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It's funny that the same people always come out to defend Marvin when he's really indefensible.

In the Suns game, he was not so good. He did push around Stoudamire some... but this after letting Grant Hill own him and missing, short arming, and getting shots blocked left and right. Sorry but he is no Bruce Bowen.

I say we trade him for Travis Outlaw.

PTL is taking offers. I say Marvin and our first for Outlaw.

It's funny that the same people always come out to defend Marvin when he's really indefensible.

In the Suns game, he was not so good. He did push around Stoudamire some... but this after letting Grant Hill own him and missing, short arming, and getting shots blocked left and right. Sorry but he is no Bruce Bowen.

I say we trade him for Travis Outlaw.

PTL is taking offers. I say Marvin and our first for Outlaw.

Outlaw is still on IR for a serious foot injury and was suppose to be back this month. His recovery is not going well at all; and now its looking like early March before he returns.Outlaw is also an unrestricted free agent next season.

So in a nutshell we give away our best defensive SF and first round pick for a injury risk unrestricted FA. Diesel you know basketball but this trade is horrible. I like Outlaws game, always have especially at his current contract of 4 million a year. But he is not even close to worth all that.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Outlaw is still on IR for a serious foot injury and was suppose to be back this month. His recovery is not going well at all; and now its looking like early March before he returns.Outlaw is also an unrestricted free agent next season.

So in a nutshell we give away our best defensive SF and first round pick for a injury risk unrestricted FA. Diesel you know basketball but this trade is horrible. I like Outlaws game, always have especially at his current contract of 4 million a year. But he is not even close to worth all that.

Buzzard, I expected your commentation.

SO to respond. We get out of the rest of Marvin's 4 year 33 million dollar deal and in return we get a shot at resigning Outlaw. Outlaw is a much better fit for our team and the reason he is up for bid is because of his situation. Maybe we can get the deal done straight up Marvin for Outlaw. But if PTL no goes, why not give up the late first rounder.