• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thinking of Chillz

Swatguy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can the Hawks tender a qualifying contract for the remainder of the season to Josh Childress? And when does the Greek and Euro seasons end?

I would love to see Childress in our uniform as much as you, but that's not happenin', at least not this year!

His team is on a verge of dethroning their "Greek enemies" Panathinaikos after so many years, plus they have a decent shot at Euroleague crown... In my oppinion they are among three-four best teams in Europe (Barcelona, Panathinaikos, Real Madrid).

I don't understand the Chilz love? Mo Evans was a pretty equal substitute for Chilz and getting Chilz back would improve our bench, but wouldn't

really improve us as a team. His impact was pretty insignificant.

Think again my friend... Chilzzz is just what we need at 3! Selfless player who doesn't need the ball to be effective, plus a great defender! You can't even put him in the same sentence with Evans (nothing against Mo)...

Think again my friend... Chilzzz is just what we need at 3! Selfless player who doesn't need the ball to be effective, plus a great defender! You can't even put him in the same sentence with Evans (nothing against Mo)...

Great defender? He was slow, weak and liked to leak out early. His defense was a total liability.

Great defender? He was slow, weak and liked to leak out early. His defense was a total liability.

I dunno ex...that may be a bit too harsh. He wasn't particularly slow at all (kinda fast actually). He was a great creator/hustler in the paint. Granted he shot from his belly - so he needed to be wide open to shoot from the perimeter.

I have to side with exodus regarding Chilz defensive aptitude -- it seems people have built up Childress quite a bit since he's been gone. I remember a lazy defender, awful with pick and rolls, who liked to leak out in hopes of a teammate grabbing steal or long rebound so he could get an easy bucket on the other end.

... OK... here's my point... in my oppinion Chillz was probably our best one-on-one-on-ball defender prior to Horford's arrival, plus he was very active in overall team defense (help situations)... but you have the right to think otherwise...

The book on him doesn't end there... He would perfectly fit our line-up, playin' SF. He doesn't need the ball to be effective. He creates opportunities by cutting lanes. He is very good offensive rebounder and he can hit open 3's (weakside) with high pct... plus, his intesity is always there, regardless of number of touches on offensive end (unlike Marvin, who falls to sleep when he's not involved in our offense).

... OK... here's my point... in my oppinion Chillz was probably our best one-on-one-on-ball defender prior to Horford's arrival, plus he was very active in overall team defense (help situations)... but you have the right to think otherwise...

The book on him doesn't end there... He would perfectly fit our line-up, playin' SF. He doesn't need the ball to be effective. He creates opportunities by cutting lanes. He is very good offensive rebounder and he can hit open 3's (weakside) with high pct... plus, his intesity is always there, regardless of number of touches on offensive end (unlike Marvin, who falls to sleep when he's not involved in our offense).

I concur.

• Premium Member

I 2nd that. I was going to add something to this effect, but you summed it up well. Chill was always very active around the glass on both sides, he hit the open shot (which started surprising A LOT of doubters around here), and played solid defense. The difference between him and Marvin is that Chill was not a spectator. He was very active on both ends of the court.

• Premium Member

I 2nd that. I was going to add something to this effect, but you summed it up well. Chill was always very active around the glass on both sides, he hit the open shot (which started surprising A LOT of doubters around here), and played solid defense. The difference between him and Marvin is that Chill was not a spectator. He was very active on both ends of the court.

I'm glad some other posters remember some of the good things about Childress. He was very active on the boards and didn't need the ball to be effective. He was also a darn good slasher as well. He would be an instant upgrade at SF with the current team.

• Premium Member

I dunno ex...that may be a bit too harsh. He wasn't particularly slow at all (kinda fast actually). He was a great creator/hustler in the paint. Granted he shot from his belly - so he needed to be wide open to shoot from the perimeter.

The thing about Chillz is that he would work continuously. He would either work on the baseline, Slash, or he would handle the ball. He also rebounded very well for his size.

6.0, 5.2, 6.2, 5.0. Those were his rpgs while he was here.

He was just a smarter, less soft player than Marvin.

He was never a good defender at any position. He was too slow and weak. Quick guards would blow right past him. Small forwards could easily push him around. He consistently had a sorry defensive +/-.

Right now the Hawks are giving up 9.6 fewer ppg when Marvin is playing.

http://www.82games.com/0910/09ATL8.HTM

In his last season with us the Hawks gave up 4.2 more ppg wiith Childress playing.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL8D.HTM

Childress was constantly trying to leak out early to cherry pick. He sucked on D. it is no coincidence that the Hawks got so much better after he left.

Edited by exodus

Uh oh . . . you guys have gotten Ex started on Chillz.

He would be great on this squad, because you then have another legit player to bring off the bench with Crawford. At that point, all we would need is for either Zaza or Joe Smith to give the team consistent play, and we'd be set.

But Chillz as a defender? Ummmm . . . no.

Chillz was an energy guy. An offensive rebouding "monster" for a guy who played SF and didn't have any plays called for him. But seeing that our weakness is actually defensive rebounding, I don't know how much he would help in that area.

Would love to have him on this team though.

He was never a good defender at any position. He was too slow and weak. Quick guards would blow right past him. Small forwards could easily push him around. He consistently had a sorry defensive +/-.

Right now the Hawks are giving up 9.6 fewer ppg when Marvin is playing.

http://www.82games.com/0910/09ATL8.HTM

In his last season with us the Hawks gave up 4.2 more ppg wiith Childress playing.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL8D.HTM

Childress was constantly trying to leak out early to cherry pick. He sucked on D. it is no coincidence that the Hawks got so much better after he left.

OK Ex, by now we have all realized that you don't like Childress... we got it.

I can easily find some stats that would expose MJ as a terrible player... but that's not the point.

P.S. All I (or all of us in favor) was sayin'... is that I think we would be a better team with Childress.