• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Assuming Woody *WANTS* to come back, what saves his job? (READ THROUGHLY)

MVP23

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In 2007-2008, most people thought that unless the Hawks made noise in the playoffs, Woody was gone. Of course, we took the Champs to 7 games, and Woody saved his job. Last year, people were saying that Woody was gone if we lost to the heat. Once again, Woody survives by beating the Heat in 7 games. This year, its Woodys contract year, and I'm only guessing after 6 years of struggling the guy probably wants to come back. What saves his job? Getting to the 2nd round alone won't cut it. We're expecting to get to the 2nd round. Getting swept, or even losing 4-1 or 4-2 might not cut it.

Discuss, debate, enjoy.

I am a Woodson detractor, so those that support him probably think he should be back. If I was running the team I would have changed the HC a couple of years ago. My reasoning: There are simply too many instances of Woodson's office falling apart and turning into the iso guard show for 24 seconds. The switching defense is OK when teams don't have the PG play to beat it; however, Woodson won't make any adjustments when the other team shows that it has the solution.

However, I don't run or own the team (which is a good thing), so I am going to guess that the Hawks need to make a good showing in the 2nd round. This means taking the Magic or Cavs to 6 or 7 games (6 games is most important as that equates to 3 more sell outs in Phillips). Sund could surprise us though and make the change. I think this would be due to Sund feeling the team has topped out with Woodson as exampled by the team's road record and the problems mentioned above.

Woodson will get a very nice contact if the Hawks make it past the 2nd round as that will be the first time in ATL history.

I don't like any of the answers so I'm abstaining. We're going to win 50 games. Rarely in the NBA are 50 win coaches not resigned. I HATE Woodson. He makes me ill to watch every time he crosses his arms. But I can only think of a few 50 win coaches who improved over the last year that weren't retained.

It would take a player revolt or being embarassed in the first round for Woody to not get re-signed.

If we get to the EC Finals, Woody will be re-signed.

He'll possibly get re-signed if we take Orlando or Cleveland to a Game 7, but lose a real close game.

If JJ is retained, we'll probably bring back Woody.

Woody has done a good coacing job this season, and so far, is worthy of a new contract.

(( chanting )) 4 more years! . . . 4 more years!

I think Woodson will be coaching here next year regardless of what happens, especially with Joe backing him. The franchise is experiencing sustained success for the first time in a while, they aren't going to drop him after a 50 win season. Unfortunately.

• Premium Member

I think we are being really choosy as fans. We are a 50 win team. We have been to the 2nd round of the playoffs. We are better than most people would have given us credit for being. I think instead of asking what would guarantee Woody a contract, the question should be what action would Lose Woody's contract. The answer is Losing in the first round. If we lose in the first round, Woody will not get a new contract. If we go to the second round and don't get swept, Woody will get a new contract. It's that simple. The truth is that it's Russian Roulette with coaches out here and our GM doesn't have a track record for good hirings.

Seattle is coming off a 52-win season that ended with a dramatic six-game series loss to the eventual champion Spurs in the Western Conference semifinals. THEN:

July 18 2005. Sund Named Bob Weiss head coach.

THEN:

January 3 2006: Sund Fired head coach Bob Weiss and named Bob Hill interim head coach.

Now, I don't have a problem with Bob Hill. However, I just think judgment is the key here. Sund is still susceptible to making the same mistakes he made before.

Signed center Jerome James to a three-year contract.

Re-signed forward Rashard Lewis to a seven-year contract.

Then Drafting Swift, Petro, and Sene after resigning guys like Evans and Collison.

I don't know if I want Sund making the decision on the next coach? I think if woody does well, we just stick with him. Just like our team has improved, so has Woody. However, I would put more pressure on Woody by giving him a 3 year deal but at the same time, giving him a handpicked offensive coordinator (somebody like Bob Hill or Sam Mitchell).

• Premium Member

I think we are being really choosy as fans. We are a 50 win team. We have been to the 2nd round of the playoffs. We are better than most people would have given us credit for being. I think instead of asking what would guarantee Woody a contract, the question should be what action would Lose Woody's contract. The answer is Losing in the first round. If we lose in the first round, Woody will not get a new contract. If we go to the second round and don't get swept, Woody will get a new contract. It's that simple. The truth is that it's Russian Roulette with coaches out here and our GM doesn't have a track record for good hirings.

Seattle is coming off a 52-win season that ended with a dramatic six-game series loss to the eventual champion Spurs in the Western Conference semifinals. THEN:

THEN:

January 3 2006: Sund Fired head coach Bob Weiss and named Bob Hill interim head coach.

Now, I don't have a problem with Bob Hill. However, I just think judgment is the key here. Sund is still susceptible to making the same mistakes he made before.

Then Drafting Swift, Petro, and Sene after resigning guys like Evans and Collison.

I don't know if I want Sund making the decision on the next coach? I think if woody does well, we just stick with him. Just like our team has improved, so has Woody. However, I would put more pressure on Woody by giving him a 3 year deal but at the same time, giving him a handpicked offensive coordinator (somebody like Bob Hill or Sam Mitchell).

I won't argue that Sund has a better-than-terrible history when it comes to signing/drafting big men. But I think that you have to look a lot further back than his last couple years in Seattle to make a fair assessment of his coaching hirings. He has hired Rick Carlisle, D!ck Motta (Moderators: really, the filter needs to be changed so that word isn't automatically bleeped out), and John McLeod in his career, all of whom had more than solid coaching careers. He also hired Doug Collins and Alvin Gentry, both of whom are at least average and probably slightly above average. The biggest black mark on his coach-hiring history was losing McMillan and bringing in Weiss, but every commentary I've ever read (including McMillan's) says that McMillan's departure was due to circumstances totally beyond Sund's control. In any case, a ~50% success rate in hiring coaches isn't bad. That's better than most GMs. And honestly, as long as he hires someone who gives a $h!t about both ends of the floor, he couldn't do much worse than Woody.

Edited by niremetal

THEN:

very well explained and I feel the exact same way about everything you said. I know many of us hate woody. In all honesty I dont hate woody I just disagree with some of the things woody does. I actually like alot things woody does for example the switching defense. Then there's the offense where his gameplan sometimes does work and other times it fails. like diesel said give that man a offense coordinator and we will be even better next year!.................oh and i like what was explained about our gm sund. I too am not ready for him to bring a coach of his choice to this team because of his recent history! not saying he's a bad gm cause he's not but he could make the team worst with a coach he tries to sign. I mean ATL there are ones out there that are worst than even woody!

• Premium Member

THEN:

I agree. We at least need a good showing in the 2nd round. A sweep in either the 1st or 2nd round should be it for the Woodster. Guy has done an amazing job with this team though - especially considering the playground basketball that is our offense. I'm really not opposed to bringing him back, but for the love of God can we get someone in here that can spice up our offense? The sh!t does work, but I just don't think it will get us as far as we are capable of going. ECF is definitely within reach, but not with jumpshots and predictable 1 on 1 basketball.

• Like 1