• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

24... 24 Blown 4th Quarter Leads

HalfHawk

According to Bob Rathbun, we've blown 24... I repeat 24 fourth quarter leads. Something that pathetic has to be an NBA record? We could be jocking with Cleveland for first place in the East and have the best record in team history if we could have won at least have of those games. Flat out embarrassing.... :shake_puter:

Edited by SmooveZilla

I agree. This crap keeps happening over and over again!!!

It's like the Hawks hope teams will just give up but when the oppossing team starts a 4th qtr comeback the Hawks lay down.

HOW THE HELL DO WE LOSE TO THE PISTONS!!?!??!!?

Not surprised if this is true. So much of that was due to defensive collapses (Bibby playing a lot and having switching defense exploited), terrible offense, and a lack of adjustments by Woodson. Can't do this in the playoffs...

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Maybe this old man is crazy and all the brain thrust of the Hawks are brilliant, but:

PREVENT OFFENSE COST ATLANTA ANOTHER GAME

Why do they do this? With a lead, late in the game, Hawks withdraw their defense, apparently.

Their opponents score a lot in the 4th.

But, they refuse, I repeat, they refuse to even try to score until the clock has run down to almost

nothing. Nothing agressive. Play with the ball and hope no one takes it away. Hawks score

very little in the 4th. Why? They go down to the final seconds and miss. Usually it's one and done.

:help wanted:

FREE THROWS:

Hawks left 9 points @ the line. Lost by 2 points. Josh went 1-5. As I keep saying after these close

losses, these free throws count. Hit them tonight and Hawks win.

:white flag:

Edited by Gray Mule

IF thats the only stat- 24 fourth quarter leads blown that doesn't seem to be a big number at all. I mean seriously- if the Hawks had a 1 point lead and the teams traded baskets 3 times back and forth down the floor thats 3 4th quarter leads "blown" right there. The stat certainly is not talking about games the Hawks had a lead in the fourth quarter and lost which is what you think of when you initially think of a blown lead.

Edited by spotatl

• Premium Member

We don't have a real head coach and its obvious in games like this and in the playoffs. He simply can not adjust to another team when it counts and he sure as hell can not make offensive adjustments.

Just like there is a difference between the better players in this league and the BEST players in this league, there is a difference between coaches too. Adjustments - both defensive and offensive - have been Woody's problem since day one. The NBA is a game of runs. It's not won or lost on a single play or two. It is the combined battling over 48 minutes that produces the victory. We're not going to shut down teams for 48 minutes and nor are we going to drain long jumpers all night. We have to adjust and we can't beat the better teams in a series until we can do that.

I will add though, as much as I have disliked Woody in the past - this is on the players as well. We have several momentum killers on offense - TERRIBLE, RETARDED, GOD-AWFUL SPACING, Josh with the long j's, JJ with 22 seconds of dribbling/1 on 5, Craw with terrible shot selection, AND MARVIN not hitting that shot (his only shot) that his role calls for...although he was decent last night.

• Premium Member

Just like there is a difference between the better players in this league and the BEST players in this league, there is a difference between coaches too. Adjustments - both defensive and offensive - have been Woody's problem since day one. The NBA is a game of runs. It's not won or lost on a single play or two. It is the combined battling over 48 minutes that produces the victory. We're not going to shut down teams for 48 minutes and nor are we going to drain long jumpers all night. We have to adjust and we can't beat the better teams in a series until we can do that.

I will add though, as much as I have disliked Woody in the past - this is on the players as well. We have several momentum killers on offense - TERRIBLE, RETARDED, GOD-AWFUL SPACING, Josh with the long j's, JJ with 22 seconds of dribbling/1 on 5, Craw with terrible shot selection, AND MARVIN not hitting that shot (his only shot) that his role calls for...although he was decent last night.

The spacing kills me. It really does. The only thing Woody does to spread the floor is stick Marvin in the weakside corner. Everyone else is kind of given free rein to roam, and too often we end up seeing 2-3 players bunched within 8 feet of each other (and not setting screens). How many times has the "bailout" pass to Josh from JJ/Bibby/Jamal/Marvin come when Josh was standing less than 6 feet away from the passer?

• Premium Member

The spacing kills me. It really does. The only thing Woody does to spread the floor is stick Marvin in the weakside corner. Everyone else is kind of given free rein to roam, and too often we end up seeing 2-3 players bunched within 8 feet of each other (and not setting screens). How many times has the "bailout" pass to Josh from JJ/Bibby/Jamal/Marvin come when Josh was standing less than 6 feet away from the passer?

LOL...for the love of God. The worst is when Smoove (or Horf) is like right behind them...aaaaaand incoming long J.

I disagree, watching the game last night, Woody was not out-coached. He called the right plays but the players did not execute. Blame Woody all you want but that was all on the players on the court and bad FT shooting. You can practice FT all day but it's up to the players to hit them in a game.

• Moderators

Does anyone know how many of the 24 blown 4th Quarter Leads led to losses?

Also, does anyone know how many blown 4th quarter leads other teams have?

I just have a hard time seeing value in this raw number without more definition and context.

To me this is sort of like looking at how many blown saves a team has in baseball. You say that the Braves had 21 blown saves last season and it sounds like a big number and that the Braves could have won a ton more games. But thats because when you think of a blown save in your mind you think of it as if those were all ninth inning collapses. But in reality a blown save is given anytime a reliever enters the game and gives up the lead it counts as a blown save no matter what inning it occurs in and 21 blown saves was pretty much middle of the pack.

• Moderators

21 blown saves was pretty much middle of the pack.

That is the context this thread needs. If the next best team has blown 30 4th quarter leads then suddenly that 24 looks great. If no playoff team has blown that many 4th quarter leads, that looks pretty poor.