• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Seriously, what does Marvin do?

ATL_BALLER

I honestly have no clue, and like most of you, I forget that he's even on the floor. Do something, man, anything!

Honestly, we're playing every game with a gaping hole at the 3 spot. Imagine if we had an aggressive, productive player there, how different we'd look?

Edited by ATL_BALLER
  • Like 1

I remember him getting an offensive rebound tonight...only to get the putback layup rejected by VC.

Oh I also remember him missing about 5 WIDE open jump shots. Other than that I'm not sure what he did out there.

He serves as an example of how General Managers get fired for re-signing players who have a hard time standing upright. He looks like a newborn giraffe most of the time. The JaMarcus Russell of the NBA.

I'm sure most of us on this board work hard and smart, yet are lucky to make 1/ 200 of what Marvin makes. That is a National Emergency.

How I would love to see Marvin, Bibby, and their contracts on the next rocket to the Moon.

• Like 2

Well he rebounded the ball pretty well tonite. Actually very well. it's not his fault Woody doesn't get him involved more in the offense.

"He looks like a newborn giraffe most of the time". Sad but true.

That giraffe ddescription is spot on...he always look unsteady and unbalanced.

• Moderators

He looks like a newborn giraffe most of the time. The JaMarcus Russell of the NBA.

lmao

Marvin's our on-the-ball defensive stopper... except when he's NOT... and can spread the floor and help rebound on offense... except that he usually DOESN'T.

To be fair, he almost messed around and got a double-double last night (9 pts, 11 rebs). But 2-for-8 shooting when no defenders are paying you any mind on offense?

Sund gets a ton of credit for picking up Crawford last summer, but why he elected to pick up someone else's albatross (a monstrous one at that) and put it around his neck still escapes me. Surely there was a SF free agent out there that could produce better than this, at $7.5 million or less.

~lw3

• Premium Member

He can't even make wide open three point shots anymore. Seriously, pick a random SF in the NBA and odds are he is just as good or better than Marvin. People saying he isn't a bust are out of their minds. How good would we be if the guy had actually lived up to 1/2 of his hype? That draft pick was a disaster, even if you ignore who we passed up on. Just on its own merit the pick has not even come close to working out so far.

I honestly have no clue, and like most of you, I forget that he's even on the floor. Do something, man, anything!

Honestly, we're playing every game with a gaping hole at the 3 spot. Imagine if we had an aggressive, productive player there, how different we'd look?

He lead the team in rebounds with 11 and did not have a turnover in 41 minutes.

Did he live up to the expectations of his draft status ? Well, of course not. That is ancient history now.

All that being said, Marvin was not the problem last night.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

We play every game and I'm being dead honest here with two big fat zeroes as STARTERS. Mike Bibby and Marvin have been beyond awful this season and it kills us. We basically have to depend on Joe, Horford, Smoove and Craw for 95% of our offense. We get NOTHING from two STARTERS and ZERO production from our bench outside Crawford and Zaza in the middle.

Looking back how does BK even pick Marvin since he just drafted 2 power forwards the year before in Smoove and Childress. Just an all around awful pick. Marvin is the weakest SF i've ever seen. He can't drive to the hoop without falling down, turning it over or getting his shot swatted. And like the other guy said he can't even hit a 3 now. When was the last game Marvin hit a 3 point basket? It had to be a few months ago at least because i sure can't remember and I watch every game. What a bust!

We barely use him in the offense and he's not a step up shooter. Just saying he's a lot better than this.

We barely use him in the offense and he's not a step up shooter. Just saying he's a lot better than this.

He may be...someday. But he has been missing wide open mid-range shots lately that we really need. It always annoys me when folks call Marvin inconsistent. In my view he's pretty darned consistent.

He can't even make wide open three point shots anymore. Seriously, pick a random SF in the NBA and odds are he is just as good or better than Marvin. People saying he isn't a bust are out of their minds. How good would we be if the guy had actually lived up to 1/2 of his hype? That draft pick was a disaster, even if you ignore who we passed up on. Just on its own merit the pick has not even come close to working out so far.

I'd rather he be the problem, frankly, because at least it would mean he was doing SOMETHING. He is absolutely invisible out there - no fire, no aggression, nothing. We need more than an occasional jump shot or put back from that position.

We must replace him with a productive player this offseason. It's critical.

I'd rather he be the problem, frankly, because at least it would mean he was doing SOMETHING. He is absolutely invisible out there - no fire, no aggression, nothing. We need more than an occasional jump shot or put back from that position.

It is amazing that Billy Knight picked Marvin as #2. If I am GM, the player must be driven and have a passion for the game. Marvin's passiveness has always been there. As a GM, if I am picking that high, one would want someone who is a team leader--capable of getting in people's faces.

The small forward position is one of the biggest weaknesses on our team, and everytime I see Vince Carter, he destroys the Hawks. I remember Stacey Augmon back in the day, and I guarantee Vince wouldn't being having the type of games Vince has had this decade against the Hawks.

I rememeber when Amare Stoudamire was drafted at #9 by Phoenix. He was an unknown, but the talent was there. He played fierce on the court, and played like he belonged in the NBA. These are attributes that you want in a rookie NBA player entering the league. In this years draft, I see those traits in Evan Turner and John Wall. Greg Monroe of Georgetown plays with great basketball I.Q., and is 6'11 and can pass the ball. However, I would like to see it has the type of confidence that a Amare had when he first came into the NBA.

Chris Paul played like was in control and not tentative, and his transition to the NBA was much faster than expected.

Marvin is a big-time bust for someone t be picked that high.

• Premium Member

It's not critical. Every contending team has at least one non-"productive player" in their starting lineup. That's because it's not feasible to have a front 6 where every player averages at least 14ppg.

With this roster, I could care less about how many points Marvin scores as long as he steps up his defense even more and rebounds consistently. He is still a very good on-ball defender and he gives very good effort at that end, no matter how much his haters like to deny it, though he's not yet where he could be on that front. If he cranks it up from a 7.5 to a 9 on that front, he'll be worth what we're paying him.

• Moderators

He lead the team in rebounds with 11 and did not have a turnover in 41 minutes.

This is what we need Marvin to do on nights when he isn't scoring. Actually - we need him to hit the boards every night. He had 7 of our 25 total defensive rebounds. That has real value.

His 9 points on 8 FGA is not so impressive but isn't a killer. His defense was not impressive but not a killer either.

I don't see him as a difference-maker for us right now - for good or ill. He obviously is a bust relative to his draft position and he has regressed this season into total mediocrity but I don't see last night as the post-child game for "Marvin is worthless" due to his work on the boards..